Magical Moving Photo Type Ads Due for Limited Copies of Entertainment Weekly

HP References
August 20, 2009, 11:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who emailed today regarding the news of a clever real world Muggle marketing and advertising campaign that will echo the moving photos seen in the Daily Prophet. The BBC reports that on September 18, readers in LA  and New York who purchase a copy of Entertainment Weekly will see their issue contain special video -in-print ads. These will be "slim-line screens - around the size of a mobile phone display," and have a "chip technology used to store the video - described as similar to that used in singing greeting cards - [which] is activated when the page is turned." The Telegraph also reports that these 90 second video ads will "show clips from future CBS programmes and an advert for a diet cola."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP References News

Images_thumb

Why just NY and LA. :-( They always get the fun stuff.

Posted by Rhiannon on August 20, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

Ok, who will send me 1 copy of that mag ??

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on August 20, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

That sounds really cool, i get Entertainment Weekly, but i don’t live in NYC or LA, :(

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on August 20, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Hr_hbp_thumb

I hope this means that subscribers in NY and LA will also get this edition. I don’t want to go out and buy another one (though in that case, I’d probably just take a peak at it in the supermarket).

Posted by RHrSoulmates on August 20, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaaaaa!! li do luv a good bit of muggles trying 2 be wizards and witched kinda thing :P

Actually, this slim screen technology has been out for more than a year now. Originally, they imagined using it as a wallpaper to transform your wall into a giant TV. The problem with the earlier models was the tubes in the TV would burn out extremely quickly, in a matter of an hour or less. It wasn’t very practical then, but they’ve improved the technology somewhat… Still won’t last enough for ordinary TV viewing, that is, but good enough for the once or twice that you read the magazine article.

Posted by Stiny.net on August 20, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
090816_mikagryffindor_thumb

Oh my god, I want to buy a copy!! This is marvelous!

Posted by Mika Maxwell on August 20, 2009, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Icongeneration_thumb

wait.. they mean NYC dont they? =[

Posted by ♥Andera {Longbottom}♥ on August 20, 2009, 06:32 PM report to moderator
Icongeneration_thumb

well obviously ill have to buy a copy then!

Posted by ♥Andera {Longbottom}♥ on August 20, 2009, 06:33 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

I can definitely see WB using this technology to advertise Deathly Hallows in magazines over the next two years.

Posted by PaintTheSky on August 20, 2009, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

Wow! I wish I lived in New York or LA in order to buy one. I bet the newspaper will be more expensive then normal. I think it’s cool the idea of moving pictures, but we get to see commercials on TV. Also, I think it would be cool if future cameras took moving pictures like in Harry Potter, but most digital cameras have video. Even though it is cool to see the advancements in technology, I don’t think this will be really that life-changing.

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 20, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I want one of those!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on August 20, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Fixed_awa_pic_thumb

Oh, I am so amused by this! It’s times like these I wished I lived in those areas. XD

Posted by splashfanatic on August 20, 2009, 07:20 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I want one of those!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on August 20, 2009, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

all i can picture is 50 years in the future when my grandchildren will look at me with pity when i tell them there was a time none of my print ads moved and i actually had to read them. lmao. we muggles do pretty good for ourselves without magic, don’t we?

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on August 20, 2009, 08:58 PM report to moderator

Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters.