Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

I dont really understand why he wouldnt want to do another movie. Then again, i havent been playing a teenage wizard for 10 years o my life. :)

Posted by SharonE on August 18, 2009, 10:54 PM report to moderator
_hufflepuff_not_nice_thumb

Yeah, that’s gunna be interesting. xD

The Hobbit is the only Tolkien book I’ve read. The others are written in such a boring style for me. :/

Posted by Kyatenaru on August 18, 2009, 11:00 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Ah?! Dan as a hobbit? That would be funny! But no, I couldn’t see him as one. I don’t care so much who plays Bilbo, I just want to see what Thorin looks like! xD

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on August 18, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

lol… I just got “short list” because Hobbits are short. haha. :D

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on August 18, 2009, 11:06 PM report to moderator

I love James McAvoy. Good on Dan for suggesting him!

Posted by Holey on August 18, 2009, 11:08 PM report to moderator

Posted by aleda on August 18, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator

Posted by aleda on August 18, 2009, 11:17 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

@-MischiefManaged- lol, guess what? I just found out that Merry was in Lost last night when my friend told me when we were watching Fellowship! He’ll always be Merry to me because I don’t watch Lost.

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on August 18, 2009, 11:22 PM report to moderator
008_thumb

ouch, that sorta hit me hard.

Posted by TaylerWeasley on August 19, 2009, 12:33 AM report to moderator
Snapshot_20100907_6_thumb

Good for Daniel Radcliffe! I don’t blame him. :) If I were him, I would want to move forward and open my horizon with new acting experiences. I’m glad he’s stepping out of his wizarding world. :D

Posted by GryffindorGrace*ROAR on August 19, 2009, 01:14 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I wouldn’t want him to be a Hobbit either… “You’re a Wizard, Harry”

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on August 19, 2009, 04:03 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@BeAchL0veEr05 [Becky]☼, I watch Lost and back when Dominic Monaghan was cast in it, I was very happy about it but also a bit sad, because it meant that the Fellowship had truly moved on. Of course, I had already seen other LOTR actors in other films, like Billy Boyd in Master and Commander and Elijah Wood in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and Viggo in Hidalgo and whatnot, but Dom’s involvement in Lost kinda finalised the end of the Fellowship for me. However, I loved his role as Charlie in Lost and was *SPOILER ALERT* very sad when Charlie made the ultimate sacrifice. But, regardless of Dom’s role in Lost, he will always be Merry to me, a little Hobbit from The Shire.

I’m sure Dan realises it that in some ways, many people will always see him as Harry, and that’s probably one reason why he prefers to steer clear of similarly iconic roles for a while. I can’t blame him for it and I truly wish him the best, wherever his path will take him after HP.

Posted by MischiefManaged on August 19, 2009, 05:13 AM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

hahaha! Well he on the short side.. :P

Posted by Cheimonas on August 19, 2009, 06:00 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I think that’s good, I mean I think he is a great actor and doesn’t want to get stuck in rut with the same type films and characters.

And Sue “short-list?!” ROFL!!

Base1_thumb

Dan doesn’t really look like how I imagined hobbits at all.. Though he could probably make a good hobbit if he wanted too. I liked the Hobbit better than the LotR books.. it is much nicer to read.
Lol, short list..

Posted by evannaa on August 19, 2009, 07:33 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry, you help yourself to anything you want, all right? No charge."[br]"I can't do that!" said Harry, who had already pulled out his money-bag to pay for the Decoy Detonators.[br]"You don't pay here," said Fred firmly, waving away Harry's gold.