Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Deathly_hallows_thumb

i can’t imagine anything as horrible…

Posted by Sword_of_Gryffindor(ROAR) on August 18, 2009, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Calves_001_thumb

I agree it might be too “close” with the whole fantasy plpot/wizards

Posted by othfhp on August 18, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Iconator_6f49d3d21092e00bd5143836ef5b871a_thumb

hahahahahaha he always cracks me up I don’t want him to be a hobbit either.

Posted by lizzardbreath on August 18, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator
Dobbyavvie_thumb

Awww, I love him, and I although I love fantasy and would therefore enjoy seeing him in another fantasy film, I respect and understand his desire to do something different and show that he’s more than a wizard. (Though you can’t get any better than a wizard, right?)

Posted by Scarlet~Phoenix on August 18, 2009, 08:46 PM report to moderator

Ahh poor dan. I dont blame him much. i wouldnt either, but James should definatly. that would be very cool. Lol Funny title too!

Posted by AndreaB09 on August 18, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator

:D

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on August 18, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator

Dan as a hobbit….awkward.

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on August 18, 2009, 08:50 PM report to moderator

Just got the “short-list” pun by the way…
xD

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on August 18, 2009, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

Dan deserves to continue to grow as an actor. I saw December Boys and My Boy Jack. He was very good in both of them. I know it’s hard not to see Harry for a few minutes when Dan is in another role, but within a few minutes, Dan sold his other characters in those movies. My understanding is that he did the same with his stage role in Equus. Yes, we fans enjoy watching actors playing characters we love, but we have to support them in other roles as well. With our support, those actors can avoid the trappings of being type cast if we convince producers that we are willing to give those actors the chance to do something different. True, if they stink trying to play other roles, then encouraging support can only last so long. But if they prove they can be more than a one note actor, they deserve the chance to hit as many notes as they can, and more power to them. In the end, we all can win.

Posted by biiigbob on August 18, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

I understand where he is coming from…..aww I love Dan

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on August 18, 2009, 09:54 PM report to moderator

It’s really hard to see him as anybody, but Harry Potter.

Posted by Hermionerules!1844 on August 18, 2009, 10:16 PM report to moderator

wow that’s so sad. you can’t say just because your short, want to be a hobbit? it sounds awfully rude!

Posted by weasleymyking on August 18, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator

It’s really hard to see him as anybody, but Harry Potter.

Posted by Hermionerules!1844 on August 18, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator

Posted by weasleymyking on August 18, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

haha but they wouldn’t even have to make him look shorter haha. i definitely get why he doesn’t want to get involved in more fantasy anytime soon and anyway, i don’t think he really has that hobbit ‘look’ , apart from the stature, of course :)

Posted by bec majec *roar* on August 18, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator

"But you would think, wouldn't you," he erupted suddenly, pulling the letter back out of his pocket, "that getting hit forty-five times in the neck with a blunt axe would qualify you to join the Headless Hunt?"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014