Dan Radcliffe Lends Support to the Trevor Project

Radcliffe
Posted by: Edward
August 10, 2009, 08:37 PM

Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe has given his support to The Trevor Project, a nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth, by contributing a major donation to the non-forprofit organization.  In a press release, the Trevor Project notes the young actor's support of their Circle of Hope project which involved many major donors who support the group.  Dan Radcliffe is quoted in the release as saying:

"I am very pleased to begin my support of The Trevor Project, which saves lives every day through its critical work... It's extremely distressing to consider that in 2009 suicide is a top three killer of young people, and it's truly devastating to learn that LGBTQ youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. I deeply hope my support can raise the organization's visibility so even more despondent youth become aware of The Trevor Helpline's highly trained counselors and Trevor's many other resources. It's vitally important that young people understand they are not alone and, perhaps even more important, that their young lives have real value."
The Trevor Project, which began in 1998, aims to work towards suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth in the United States.  The organization comprises many ventures including "Dear Trevor, an online question-and-answer forum for young people with questions surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity; The Trevor Survival Kit, an educational kit distributed to schools and youth service providers to help educators facilitate discussions about suicide, gender identity and sexual orientation; and TrevorSpace, an online social networking community for LGBTQ youth, their friends and allies."

The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Many thanks to Denise for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Dumbledore_thumb

Good job Dan!

Posted by shelbypotter [wbm] on August 14, 2009, 05:25 PM report to moderator
200px-elder_wand_thumb

it is a great work

Posted by yr.yasindu"ROAR" on August 15, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator
H-r_thumb

Stuff like this is why I think the stars of Harry Potter are awesome. They actually do try and use their influence for good.

Posted by fantasylover12001 on August 15, 2009, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

great job, dan

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on August 15, 2009, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Shikoku_thumb

It’s nice to see actors like Dan to get involved in things like this.
I, though, never heard of the Trevor Group. :) I think this is a very wonderful thing, indeed.

Posted by Eknedah on August 16, 2009, 12:28 AM report to moderator

do they help people to die or to not kill???

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 16, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Hpv16_thumb

Great man. Great cause. Way to go Dan. :)

Posted by Mrs.Brisby on August 16, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Aragorn_valleygirl_thumb

Go Dan! This is a great cause. I’m so glad that he is helping with this.

Posted by nachtweiss on August 17, 2009, 08:53 AM report to moderator

Is that only for gays???

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 17, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator

Is this group only for homosexuals I wonder??? I know no one will answer this question, but it has got to be asked.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 18, 2009, 01:28 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

@Robbie Rowe- It’s primarily targeted at GLBTQ individuals, but I highly doubt they would hang up if a straight person gave them a call seeking help.

Posted by PaintTheSky on August 19, 2009, 10:33 PM report to moderator

Hmmm… es. Thank you for the reply. I shall not tell you why I ask the questions I do- I just do. I apologize if I wasted your time at all or used up your patience. I shall try my utmost best to comments such things that are just stupid, are they not???

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 21, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator

"Have you had any thoughts about what you would like to do after you leave Hogwarts?"[br]"Er," said Harry...[br]"Yes?" Professor McGonagall prompted Harry.[br]"Well, I thought of, maybe, being an Auror," Harry mumbled.