Dan Radcliffe Lends Support to the Trevor Project

Radcliffe
Posted by: Edward
August 10, 2009, 08:37 PM

Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe has given his support to The Trevor Project, a nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth, by contributing a major donation to the non-forprofit organization.  In a press release, the Trevor Project notes the young actor's support of their Circle of Hope project which involved many major donors who support the group.  Dan Radcliffe is quoted in the release as saying:

"I am very pleased to begin my support of The Trevor Project, which saves lives every day through its critical work... It's extremely distressing to consider that in 2009 suicide is a top three killer of young people, and it's truly devastating to learn that LGBTQ youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. I deeply hope my support can raise the organization's visibility so even more despondent youth become aware of The Trevor Helpline's highly trained counselors and Trevor's many other resources. It's vitally important that young people understand they are not alone and, perhaps even more important, that their young lives have real value."
The Trevor Project, which began in 1998, aims to work towards suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth in the United States.  The organization comprises many ventures including "Dear Trevor, an online question-and-answer forum for young people with questions surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity; The Trevor Survival Kit, an educational kit distributed to schools and youth service providers to help educators facilitate discussions about suicide, gender identity and sexual orientation; and TrevorSpace, an online social networking community for LGBTQ youth, their friends and allies."

The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Many thanks to Denise for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Young_riddle2_thumb

its great to see Dan supporting such a great cause and using his money for good rather than evil. good on you, and keep up the great work :D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on August 11, 2009, 08:07 AM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

Good for you Dan, a modern day Hero :) Fortunately, I never had thoughts of suicide while growing up and coming out, but I knew of others who had.

@goodegogo- it’s that kind of attitude that only encourages a GLBTQ person to end their own life. Please consider wisely what you say. Even if it’s your belief, it could seriously harm another.

Posted by PaintTheSky on August 11, 2009, 08:23 AM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

It’s really great that Dan is supporting a cause like this Especially since not many people know about it, hopefully he’ll help make it better know.

OH-I-LOVE-DAN. How can he be so wonderful?
Great project.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on August 11, 2009, 08:44 AM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

aww, that’s so sweet, i’m so proud of him!!

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on August 11, 2009, 09:06 AM report to moderator
Have_you_seen_this_man_2_thumb

Neat!

Posted by clashcityrocker13 on August 11, 2009, 09:24 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

This is such an important organization. I think it is wonderful that Dan is utilizing his prominence to raise awareness on this issue and the services that The Trevor Project offers. It is indeed a deep sadness for all of us when someone feels the world would be a better place if they were not in it. Thanks, Dan…Once again you move up another step in my admiration of you.

Posted by Lillylove on August 11, 2009, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Wow. I am very impressed with Mr. Radcliffe. It’s as if he researched us while he was here and put his money in a place that get’s the least attention. Well done Dan!

Posted by Hydrus on August 11, 2009, 09:41 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

I commend Dan on his attitude toward other people regardless of their sexual orientation. He is an awesome person and hopefully with his support others will begin to realize that just because you are not heterosexual does not mean that you are not a person. Way to go Dan!

Posted by beewell on August 11, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Great Job Dan!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 11, 2009, 10:10 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

My admiration & respect for Dan just keeps on increasing. Like, it’s easy for a celebrity to give money to organizations. But, like many of the other HP actors, Dan gives his time as well as his money, he helps to raise awareness and he is not afraid to say what he thinks.
Someone said we must not forget the regular people that work in organizations like the Trevor Project and, this is so true. But, at the same time, by Dan speaking about this project, it has made a whole lot more people aware of the existance of the Trevor Project and brought peoples attention to the issues concerning it. It’s a really awesome thing :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on August 11, 2009, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I saw this on Mugglenet first but still its really nice he does this for people. I don’t know why but if a celeb gives a lot of money to charity then I suddenly like them a lot. No matter who! This just makes me like him even more.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 11, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts-on-fire-harry-potter-13911978-1900-1200_thumb

This is great, I’m so glad Dan got involved in it. He’s a great guy!

Posted by clayzy4hp on August 11, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Thats nice…

Posted by Won_Two on August 11, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

Yayyy!
I also agree that this will hopefully help raise awareness because I also haven’t heard of the Trevor Project. I’m glad Dan is supporting it! :)

Posted by Mera004 on August 11, 2009, 12:50 PM report to moderator

"What is it this time Miss Granger?"[br]"I've already read chapter two," said Hermione.[br]"Well then, proceed to chapter three."[br]"I've read that too. I've read the whole book."[br]Professor Umbridge blinked but recovered her poise almost instantly.