Dan Radcliffe Lends Support to the Trevor Project

Radcliffe
Posted by: Edward
August 10, 2009, 08:37 PM

Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe has given his support to The Trevor Project, a nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth, by contributing a major donation to the non-forprofit organization.  In a press release, the Trevor Project notes the young actor's support of their Circle of Hope project which involved many major donors who support the group.  Dan Radcliffe is quoted in the release as saying:

"I am very pleased to begin my support of The Trevor Project, which saves lives every day through its critical work... It's extremely distressing to consider that in 2009 suicide is a top three killer of young people, and it's truly devastating to learn that LGBTQ youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. I deeply hope my support can raise the organization's visibility so even more despondent youth become aware of The Trevor Helpline's highly trained counselors and Trevor's many other resources. It's vitally important that young people understand they are not alone and, perhaps even more important, that their young lives have real value."
The Trevor Project, which began in 1998, aims to work towards suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth in the United States.  The organization comprises many ventures including "Dear Trevor, an online question-and-answer forum for young people with questions surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity; The Trevor Survival Kit, an educational kit distributed to schools and youth service providers to help educators facilitate discussions about suicide, gender identity and sexual orientation; and TrevorSpace, an online social networking community for LGBTQ youth, their friends and allies."

The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Many thanks to Denise for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Hagrid_thumb

Dan Radcliffe seems to be a well adjusted young adult uncorrupted by the HOLLYWOOD level of income and attention. BRAVO!!!!!!

Posted by biiigbob on August 10, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Goodegogo…the thing is, it’s not a choice…I don’t care who says it isn’t! I grew up with someone who struggled with it, and tried to live his life pretending to be straight, because he DID NOT WANT to be gay! He was an angry person! Once he was able to see that he couldn’t live a lie, and he came out, and all of his friends and family supported him, he became a happy, peaceful, person. Not everyone has friends and family like this…those are the people who NEED a group like this. Hooray for the Trevor Group!
Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on August 10, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator

It is nice to see him take a stand in this outreach program.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on August 10, 2009, 10:56 PM report to moderator

It is nice to see him take a stand in this outreach program.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on August 10, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

So Generous!!! OMG! Daniel!!! =S ddttm!!!

It is a pity that as a smoker, he doesn’t realize that his own efforts at self-destruction need an intervention. Richest Teen in the World is also the Stupidest.

Posted by House of Black on August 10, 2009, 11:21 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Our Dan continues to be a kind and thoughtful young man who continues to do what is right rather than what is easy. Go Dan!

Posted by Rhiannon on August 10, 2009, 11:24 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

i didnt even know there was such a think as a gay suicide hotline. thats depressing :( props for dan for spending his money to save lives

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on August 10, 2009, 11:30 PM report to moderator
Gryffcutie_thumb

How wonderful of Dan to support this organization. Anything anyone can do to stop young people from thoughts or the act of suicide is fantastic in my book. I’m very proud of Dan.

Posted by Gryffindor Cutie on August 11, 2009, 12:12 AM report to moderator
Img_0004_thumb

That’s so made of awesome! I hope this brings more attention to the program.
WAY TO GO, DAN!

Posted by neeshaknowsall on August 11, 2009, 12:22 AM report to moderator
Dscn1338_thumb

I Applaud Daniel Radcliffe! This makes me very, very happy!!!

Posted by star_fli on August 11, 2009, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Helenabonhamcarterbellatrix_thumb

I loved Dan Radcliff before this now i love him even more for supporting this cause which i myself as an openly gay man, have donated money before. Suicide in the gay comunity has increased so much it is the leading statistic in suicides and its quite sad that young GLBT youths think thats the only solution. i praise dan so much for this. he is truly a great caring human being. however i am highly offended by one of the post on here someone said its good to stop suicides but gay stuff is wrong. how hypocritical and narrow minded. gay or straight, white or black we are all human beings. we may be different but were not bad people because were diffrent. god loves us all. and he did make us in our image. so he obviously knew what he was doing making gay people. my father is a catholic and very supportive of me he thinks god made homosexuals to control the population. he was totally kidding of course cause he laughed. but anyway way to go dan i love you even more. keep up the good work.

Posted by geminidreamatl29 on August 11, 2009, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

The Trevor Project is a wonderful organiztion—way to go Dan for your support!

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on August 11, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator

This made my day. (:

Posted by konfusion on August 11, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator

No, House of Black, I think that honor is yours, teen or not teen, you just made the stupidest comment ever, comparing an addiction (which millions of people in all the world have so it must not be so easy to stop it) with the suffering of those who have to live everyday fighting discrimination and incomprehension from those arond them, which many times leads them to want to finish with their lives because they don’t see another choice.
And it doesn’t say much about your intellect either the fact you believe the rubbish tabloids write, of course he is not the richest. And the great thing is the money he has, he spends it in good causes like this too. Can you say the same about yourself? Or the only thing you spend is your time bashing in the internet people you don’t even know?

Posted by ethanHP on August 11, 2009, 01:04 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Well, er, if you must know, Ginny, er, walked in on me the other day when I was -- well, never mind -- the point is, she spotted me doing something and I, um, I asked her not to mention it to anybody. I must say, I did think she'd keep her word. It's not