Natalia Tena Talks Tonks in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Script with LA Times

Tena Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 08, 2009, 10:05 PM

Actress Natalia Tena (Tonks) is the subject of a new interview from LA Times blog Hero Complex.  In this interview, the actress speaks of her upcoming role in the Half-Blood Prince film, as well as her upcoming work on the final two Deathly Hallows films.  Noting that she is set to start filming Part One of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows next month, she describes her reaction to first reading the script for the film.  Quoteage:

"I’ve read Part One and it’s brilliant, I wasn’t so sure about the last movie but this one I was like, “Yeah, they got it spot on.” I’m re-reading the book right now. I started having insane dreams again. Whenever I start a Potter film, I get these dreams. The last dream I had I was in a war and the sky was blotted with broomsticks and I couldn’t find my wand. It was so intense. I always have mental, intense, war wizard dreams when I’m doing the films."
Speaking further in regards to the script for the final films, Miss Tena describes her feelings about the quality of the work by saying "I like the last because it’s trial times. You really get a sense of what everyone is worth. There’s a point where Ron leaves and I was like, “Wow, Ron actually isn’t up for it for a bit.” Also, I really got a sense in the script that while Harry is important, it’s his mates that do a lot.  Actually, if he didn’t have these two mates he really wouldn’t be winning. He needs everyone to believe. It’s quite an interesting concept because then you ask, well, is it interchangeable? Could it be anyone else that could have been the Chosen One?"

The actress continues, speaking of her reaction upon first reading the final book by saying she found it "very intense."
"Suddenly you see my parents in the book and my mom is supposed to look exactly like Bellatrix. It was intense. And I love the fact that Tonks is pregnant. That she got married in the middle of all this chaos. It’s like she thought it would be a really good idea to get married and get pregnant and keep fighting."
The interview then turns to discussion of filming the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  On this subject, Miss Tena gives her thoughts on the Attack on the Burrow scene that was added to the film.
"I think they wanted to keep Tonks in it somehow. In the book, she’s very depressed all the way through until she finally she gets with Lupin, that’s when she gets her normal hair color back. In the film, they just had me looking very strange with Lupin and that’s why her hair is a bit dark [instead of her favorite pink] and short, though they don’t explain it. In “Half-Blood Prince,” a lot was edited, and actually I thought a lot of stuff was added in unnecessarily. But I haven’t seen the film yet, so for all I know it works out well in the end."
She goes on to note that many of the stunts she wanted to do herself, saying, "They wanted to get stunt doubles and I was like, “No, I want to jump through fire!” Sometimes you do feel a bit stupid. I remember standing with David Thewlis [who plays Lupin], and it’s 3 in the morning, and going, “Yeah, David, fight invisible fire snakes.” It’s like basically dancing to nothing. You do feel a bit stupid at times, but it’s funny."

The complete interview with actress Natalia Tena can be read over on the LA Times website.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince arrives in theaters July 15th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Tena Interviews News

Ipod-harry_thumb

Wow she’s so funny! Invisible fire snakes?

Posted by horsepatronus64 on July 08, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

nice!

Posted by placebowiz on July 08, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator
Ari_with_roses_thumb

i really love her enthusiasm for the character she really captures Tonks for me and I love that she is ready to give justice to such a cool cat

Posted by Amy Darlene on July 08, 2009, 10:19 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

yay

Posted by Avangelis {WBM} on July 08, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Bookandcoffee_thumb

“Like a lot of people, I love a bit of blood and gore. I was a bit sad that Tonks didn’t get a death scene in the book! I was really hoping that Bellatrix would kill me in mid-air while I’m stabbing her with a wand”

I laughed at that part. Now that is something I’d love to see! A huge epic battle between the two, and to see Tonks (and Lupin) Death scenes.

Tena has the perfect personality for Tonks, I just wish the movies did a better job at showing it.

Posted by Bookwormjules on July 08, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

She really got glossed over…

Posted by Won_Two on July 08, 2009, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Hpsssorting_thumb

I agree that she has the perfect personality for Tonks. A bit worried that she said ’ a lot of unnecessary changes were made in HBP’ but I’m sure it will still be good.

Posted by TheSortingHat[ROAR] on July 08, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
1181677090_f_thumb

I love her, she just know soo much about the books, she’s a real fan.

Posted by luba on July 08, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
Blowkiss_thumb

squee!

Posted by dragontowncorsets on July 08, 2009, 10:26 PM report to moderator
Gof2sem09_thumb

I absolutely love her.

Posted by SnufflieSocks on July 08, 2009, 10:26 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

I risk getting the reputation as grumpy, but when an obvious fan such as Tena can say

“In “Half-Blood Prince,” a lot was edited, and actually I thought a lot of stuff was added in unnecessarily. But I haven’t seen the film yet, so for all I know it works out well in the end.”

then, I shake my head and lower my expectations.
Yep, I’ll still go, I’ll still buy the dvds, and I’ll buy the extended versions with all the deleted scenes put back in when those finally come out. But I really do want the films to be as brilliant as the novels….not identical, not scene for scene, just brilliantly done is all.

Posted by budb on July 08, 2009, 10:31 PM report to moderator
Bild2_thumb

Natalia is great!

Posted by ClariceCuri on July 08, 2009, 10:35 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

It’s wierd that she is exactly like i imagine Tonks would be?!??!

She even speaks like her!

That wolf cubs line was great!

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 08, 2009, 10:39 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I love her :) And I love her war wizard dreams. I’ve never had one, but I’d like to :D

Posted by Christine on July 08, 2009, 10:41 PM report to moderator

Lol. She’s so funny. I’m so annoyed that they’ve been cutting all the cool Tonks scenes in the movies. She’s such a fun character, but in the movies she’s pretty much nonexistent.

Posted by badger666 on July 08, 2009, 10:41 PM report to moderator

"...I remembered the most unusual form your Patronus took, when it charged Mr. Malfoy down at your Quidditch match against Ravenclaw. You know, Harry, in a way, you did see your father last night... You found him inside yourself."