Bonnie Wright Talks of Harry and Ginny Relationship in Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
Posted by: Edward
July 06, 2009, 11:54 PM

There is a new article from the Los Angeles Times Hero Complex Blog which features an interview with actress Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) who speaks to her role in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film.  This article delves into the differences between book and film, her reaction to the character of Ginny Weasley in the story, and much more.  In this interview, the young actress spoke of her her reactions upon reading of her character's future with Harry Potter upon the release of the sixth book in 2005 by relating:

"It was weird.  Just reading what happens to her, but then after I’d really thought about everything I thought, ‘Oh god, we’re going to have to film all of those things.’ That was quite nerve-wracking. But you always know the way they write the script very much captures the mood of what’s happening in a good way. In a comfortable way."
The interview continues with Miss Wright discussing how the relationship builds in the upcoming movie, compared to the book by saying it "sort of slowly builds and there’s this tension between them. Just when you think the kiss is going to happen, it doesn’t. It’s really a sweet tale of how they’re slowly getting drawn to one another. Obviously, it’s very difficult for Harry with Ginny being his best friend’s younger sister. But the kiss itself happens in a much more intimate environment. It’s just the two of them rather than in the midst of the Gryffindor common room celebrating Quidditch. It’s a bit quieter in the film."

Miss Wright offers even more, somewhat spoilerish detail of how this moment is depicted in the film.  Quoteage:
"At this point in the film, Harry has become really taken over by this Half Blood Prince book and obviously Ginny can relate to that, having that happen to her in the second film [with Tom Riddle’s diary.] So she really notices what’s happening with him and how powerful and seductive this book can become. So they decide to hide it together, and the kiss happens when they’re going to hide the book."
The young actress goes on to talk about Ron's (actor Rupert Grint) reaction to the relationship in the film and of Quidditch.  On this subject, Miss Wright says: "I thought it was quite scary. I’m not afraid of heights but they manage to get you quite high on these complex hydraulic broomstick systems. It’s mad! You actually have to do quite a lot of the action yourself, being jerked around and spun around. It’s not all done by computer. It was also quite difficult when you’re pretending to play a complex game which you’re meant to be flying at so many hundred speeds an hour and really you’re on a studio set on a broomstick with blue screen around you. It can be hard to sort of connect."

The entirety of this most detailed and somewhat spoiler-filled interview can be read right here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Well… As a Ginny fanatic, a Bonnie fan, and a hardcore Harry/Ginny shipper, this has made my day!!!!

Seriously, I’m doing cartwheels! Can’t wait xD

Posted by WickedLoz on July 07, 2009, 06:56 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

finally we’ll see more Bonnie on the screen! I’m sure she is very talented and she’ll prove it in Half-Blood Prince and in Deathly Hallows! And it’s cool she wants to continue acting after HP series! And one more time I’m admiring the way that J.K.Rowling had connected all the characters!!!!!

Posted by Pollytomat on July 07, 2009, 08:26 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I have a hunch that the book-hiding scene will have its purpose revealed in DH2. Harry spends quite a time in the book looking for the diadem and Ginny is a bit left out of the action because she is underage. Now Ginny can be the one to remind him of what they both saw in the RoR.

Posted by Graymayne on July 07, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
9k3ucx_thumb

Grrr! The common-room-post-Quidditch-kiss-scene has always been one of my favorites in the book! I was so looking forward to seeing it on the big screen…:(

Posted by rockieraccoon13 on July 07, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
2_thumb

Ok the way that they kiss is better in the book like totally and I don’t see why they changed it but ok I will have to see it and then say how it is I guess :)

Posted by Delilah Snape[FTC]! on July 07, 2009, 10:16 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

The films are never true to the books…come on guys, you all know that! Don’t be suprised, angry or disappointed! JKR’s work in the books and Directors’ work on the films are different. To those of us who are true HP fans, the books are the real stories and the movie are adaptations. Don’t get yourselves in knots when the movie proves to be not a true depiction of the book. If you think of it in that way, you’ll enjoy the movie more!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 07, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

8 more days!

Posted by LulaL on July 07, 2009, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

Ginny is gonna kick ass playing quidditch =D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on July 07, 2009, 11:13 AM report to moderator

Why did the change the way the kiss happened in the movie? Simple, it makes a lot more sense. Ginny’s screen time in the movies until OOTP was very limited…understandable in SS, COS we see her in the very beginning and end (and the end she’s mostly laying there), POA she’s a background character (maybe one line), GOF she has one big line about Ron’s dress robes and we see her with Hermione in the “I’m not an owl” scene. OOTP she gets to have the powerhouse reducto, and the one little “look back” scene right before Harry and Cho kiss, but she’s in the mix more, you realize she’s there.

Ginny in the books kind of jumped into everyone’s laps in OOTP, because even there she’d been a background player and not really used until she became “Super!Ginny” where she pranks like the twins and plays Quidditch like the boys and no longer shies away from Harry. It always bugged me that we didn’t see this development in the books, particularly when Ginny becomes an important character to Harry. (I can’t say integral…after HBP, she’s in the beginning and end of DH, but from the end of the wedding until the assault on Hogwarts she’s not physically present.) I’d have liked to have seen some more interaction between Harry and Ginny in POA and GOF, especially once you get to OOTP and she has to remind him she was possessed…that’s almost a mea culpa from the author that she’s using a character that was kind of forgotten about, IMHO.

That all said, it makes perfect sense for the H/G kiss to be more private and quiet. For one, that’s who Harry really is. Two, that’s how Ginny is, as we know her in the movies. To suddenly have her jump Harry in the common room would be out of character (I thought it was in the books too, honestly). However, having Lavender do that to Ron makes perfect sense, that strikes me as Lavender’s character.

Posted by kmac23va on July 07, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Thumb_thumb

The Hero Complex blog has a great series of interviews here. Bonnie’s comments were very thoughtful and articulate. I also recommend reading the one by Matt Lewis. He understands his character so well!

Posted by Rosemunde on July 07, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

I think people are quite harsh towards Bonnie Wright.

Posted by VoodooPadfoot - {WBM} on July 07, 2009, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

Cool story about the brooms.

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 07, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator

all add me!!! interesting girl stuff… …

Posted by #1pottyfan:ROAR! on July 07, 2009, 12:28 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

kmac23va makes some good points there. I also like the idea of another person remembering where the tiara is, but wonder about the fiendfire scene now.

Posted by budgie on July 07, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I agree VoodooPadfoot. I don’t get it at all.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 07, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I wanted Harry Potter's blood. I wanted the blood of the one who had stripped me of power thirteen years ago... for the lingering protection his mother once gave him would then reside in my veins too..."