Harry and Twilight, Together Tomorrow at NYPL

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 31, 2009, 10:33 PM

Tomorrow, at the New York Public Library on 42nd Street in Manhattan, there will be a discussion between myself and the webmaster of The Twilight Lexicon on Harry Potter, Twilight, and all things inbetween. It's going to be a lot of fun so if you're in the area (and over 18, as per Children's Lit Cafe organization's rules), come check it out:

Children's Literary Cafe
New York Public Library (42nd Street side, between 5th and 6th Ave)
2pm

Very sorry for the late notice, and I hope to see you there!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

P1010036_thumb

What I think is needed here is a little respect. Harry Potter fans would be up in arms if anyone talked about HP the way HP fans are talking about Twilight. I thouht HP fans were better than that. Remember what the books are trying to teach us. Love, Love, respect, tollerance? It would be nice if we practice what the HP series teaches. I for one would love to know how the discussion turned out. I am sorry that I could not have been there.

Thanks Melissa

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on August 02, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I know that the reason I hate Twilight is not because it is “replacing HP” – because I know it never will – but because people THINK it’s replacing Harry Potter. No. That will never happen. And it’s the fact that the media just wants this rivalry, and everytime Twilight is mentioned HP always has to be there too. I hate that! And then it makes me hate Twilight even more. Plus, Twilight is badly written and Bella is a whiny piece of . . .

Posted by Christine on August 02, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator

grrrrrrr…im 2 young to go! I would so luv 2 argue how STUPID twilight is! HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY!

Posted by Malfoyluva on August 02, 2009, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

yea i didnt realize how HP is still huge but to me it just doesnt seem like it used to be. i love HP but i feel like twilight is pretty big now even though HP keeps getting big every time a new movie comes out. idk but thats what i thought. but yeah this “rivalry” did pretty much happen bc of the media :(

Posted by Mosu on August 02, 2009, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Profile_thumb

If any of you think the fandom is dying, come to a convention sometime. The only people we’re losing are those who weren’t really big fans to begin with. Everyone that matters and most of the friends I’ve met at cons are still here!

Twilight actually has more depth than people give it credit for, it just also has a lot of technical errors and weaknesses, and encourages traditional female ideas and roles in such a way as to upset feminists. If all Twilight ever was, was a cool story, then it wouldn’t be as popular as it is. It’s the allegorical and anagogical meanings that keep people coming back to it, just like it is with Harry Potter… even if I would personally say Harry Potter is far more profound and interesting in its meanings than Twilight, not to mention far cleverer. That’s something for the individual, as all allegory and anagogy is a mirror for your own beliefs and comparisons. People get something out of both series, and to say that what someone took from it is invalid is disrespectful and rude. So I generally find people who criticise either series very irritating.

Posted by David Wood on August 02, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator

Interesting.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on August 02, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator

I have managed to read two of the “Twilight Saga” books and I was left extremely disappointed. During the reading I was waiting for the great parts to begin, but nothing ever happened. Bella is a sad, weak character who cooks dinner for her dad, who like most males apparently would starve otherwise. Edward is this good looking creep who stalks people on their bedrooms. And then they fall in love, but kissing and touching is oh so dangerous – so nothing ever happens. The whole “true love waits” propaganda of the books is terrible, the religious views of the author presented are questionable. A “vampire” that believes in god? Gimme me a break. And apart from longing, longing, longing, longing, and some more longing, nothing exciting has ever happened in the books that I´v read. The cringe-inducing writing didn´t help me either.

That people are actually spending their time comparing the “Twilight Saga” to Harry Potter must be some terrible joke. There are probably better works of fiction to compare it to than this anti-feminist, pro-“traditional female ideas”, plot-less, zero character development attempt at writing. Eventually, over time, this literary equivalent of a meal at McDonald´s will fade into history, while Harry Potter will appear alongside the classics of literature.

And I am not bashing people who do like “The Twilight Saga”. If you ignore most of the book, you could probably enjoy the love story. Even though this type of love with it´s physicality-equals-mortal-peril is not my idea of a great love story.

Posted by Fonty on August 02, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

So, did they record it?

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on August 02, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

I wish i could be there!!

Posted by HattFerg on August 02, 2009, 09:40 PM report to moderator
Heartcup_thumb

I wished I lived somewhere where awesome HP related things happened. >.<

Posted by Queen Griselda [*Squee!*] on August 03, 2009, 02:26 AM report to moderator
Iconusharrydh_1__thumb

twilight= 0
Harry Potter= 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.2

Posted by El-El on August 03, 2009, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

interesting… huuuuge twilight fan but ive luved HP for sooo much longer and its soooooo more AWESUM!!!!!!!!!!

Rupes_maggie_thumb

probably a very interesting discussion took place

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on August 04, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator

I love Twilight, but nothing compares to Harry Potter. I mean, Jo is clearly the better of the two authors. Oh well, I’m sure the discussion will be nothing if not entertaining…

Posted by darkprincess637 on August 05, 2009, 02:31 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts03_thumb

I just finished Breaking Dawn and I have to say it was a pretty good series Im glad to see the rivalry was put aside for this occasion =) Twilight will never beat HP tho atleast for me.

Posted by IwishIwas@Hogwarts on August 05, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Poor old Snuffles," said Ron, breathing deeply. "He must really like you, Harry... Imagine having to live off rats."