Dan Radcliffe Talks to Esquire about Potter, Life, and More in New Interview

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 03, 2009, 02:47 PM

The August issue of Esquire Magazine features an eight page photo spread and interview with actor Dan Radcliffe.  In this interview, the young Harry Potter actor speaks at great length about a number of subjects related to the Potter films, his life in the limelight, and his future.  This most candid interview begins with Mr. Radcliffe talking of a recent injury sustained fighting a "giant snake" during a recent day of filming.  He says:

"I was doing this scene where I fight a giant snake and, being the hi-tech, multimillion production that we are, the snake was being played by our stunt coordinator holding a long pole with a boxing glove tied to the end with gaffer tape.  I was fending it off with a chair and was caught unawares.  The chair went flying into my top lip.  To be honest, it was brilliant because I saw the playback later and I go down like a bloody boxer!"
Mr. Radcliffe goes on to speak of life filming the Harry Potter films, calling the environment at Leavesden Studios in England by saying, "I've got all my mates there, it's a really safe environment and always has been... I love being there."  He continues:
"You just immediately felt that you were in some band of brothers in the French Resistance or something.  You were one of those cool ones suddenly, and I'd never been one of the cool kids at school, so that was awesome.  You realize that all the kids who were really cool at your school were actually scuzzy and horrible and boring.  The nerds are the ones that make the films and do loads of other really cool stuff in their life."
The magazine continues to discuss other elements of the young actors life, including his continued education and various media reports, many of which Radcliffe dubs "hilariously misinformed."  As the interview comes to a close, the conversation turns to the future.  Speaking of his current study of "the basics of ballet," he notes that "the thing is, in a few years I'll be 21, 22, and that's when all the guys who've been at drama school will come out.  They've been learning dance or singing and all that stuff, and I'm going to need to compete with them because I won't have Harry Potter as my safety net anymore.  I need to make myself as viable a choice for any part as I possibly can."

One of those possible future projects, Radcliffe relates, has him portraying a father, which he says is "very strange."  He continues:  "Occasionally I'll be reading scripts for stuff that might happen in the middle of next year, and then I'm taken out of Potterland for a while.  But this is basically where my head's at for the next year."

A slight caution for parents, this interview does contain discussion on a number of subjects that may be inappropriate for younger readers.  The full series of scans from the August issue of Esquire Magazine can be seen right here.

Thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

veeeeery interesting interview….and photos…he looks more handsome every day!! and they’re filming the Godric’s Hollow scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 04, 2009, 07:16 AM report to moderator

GODRIC’S HOLLOW SCENE PEOPLE!! where he goes at his parent’s graves…omg omg omg

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 04, 2009, 07:17 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Haha he really hurt himself while filming and though it look cool on the playback. Wow it must not have hurt. Fighting a snake? Must be the scene when Nagini comes out of Bathilda’s body.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 04, 2009, 07:31 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I love the part about his house and the milk going bad. It’s such a normal thing to do. I totally picture him gagging over the sink. And I’m SO excited that they’ve film the GODRIC’s HOLLOW scene!! I can’t wait to see that!!

His comments about Michael Jackson are surreal considering he’s dead now and I cant believe he’s an atheist…talk about controversial. lol.

I also love all the stuff about the cast being horny during the filming of movies 3, 4, and 5. lol. But that’s what happens when you put a bunch of teenagers together. I wonder who took Harry Potter’s virginity?!

But this is an awesome interview! I’m totally buying this issue! He’s such an interesting person and I love all these pictures! Hot!!

Posted by cghambright on July 04, 2009, 07:47 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Godric’s hollow is in! YAY!

Posted by budgie on July 04, 2009, 07:54 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

That must mean that they have filmed the scene in which they are at Godric’s Hollow and are attacked by Bathilda Bagshot. That scene in the book was awfully strange and I cannot wait to see how the adaptation handles it!

Posted by Kirk on July 04, 2009, 07:55 AM report to moderator
Photo_17_thumb

He sounds so… well… cool… like he’d be great to just hang out with.

Posted by Cassy Blake on July 04, 2009, 08:58 AM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

that picture of him is so amazingly sexy!!!! back off people….were getting married one day….i will stab you with a spork…..yes a spork

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on July 04, 2009, 08:58 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Oh Dan, you are so modest! sarcasm
lol I really hope he doesn’t fight off Nagini with a chair!

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on July 04, 2009, 10:23 AM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

Dan rocks my socks, man. Love him. =D

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on July 04, 2009, 11:32 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

It’s one of his best interviews.
I really enjoyed this one!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 04, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

quite a candid interview

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 04, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

When did Dan morph into Elijah Wood? He’s right about the acting students, though. The more skills you have, the more work you get.

Posted by Lucia Meadows on July 04, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@Lucia Meadows, I’ve been saying that for a long time now — it’s no wonder people confuse Dan for Elijah and vice versa! They look very much the same (read: they’re both hot) and by the sound of the interviews, they’re both very normal, rooted and level-headed young men, regardless of their fame and wealth. Not to mention the fact that both of them have been extremely fortunate to portray the most famous and most loved literary characters of all time.

I remember back when LOTR Return Of The King came out and Elijah was a guest at Late Night with Conan O’Brien, he was joking about signing autographs as Daniel Radcliffe because a lot of people kept mixing them up already back then. :-D

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 04, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Nice face :P

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on July 06, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator

"Harry, you were brilliant!" Hermione said squeakily. There were fingernail marks on her face where she had been clutching it in fear. "You were amazing! You really were!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014