Dan Radcliffe Talks to Esquire about Potter, Life, and More in New Interview

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 03, 2009, 02:47 PM

The August issue of Esquire Magazine features an eight page photo spread and interview with actor Dan Radcliffe.  In this interview, the young Harry Potter actor speaks at great length about a number of subjects related to the Potter films, his life in the limelight, and his future.  This most candid interview begins with Mr. Radcliffe talking of a recent injury sustained fighting a "giant snake" during a recent day of filming.  He says:

"I was doing this scene where I fight a giant snake and, being the hi-tech, multimillion production that we are, the snake was being played by our stunt coordinator holding a long pole with a boxing glove tied to the end with gaffer tape.  I was fending it off with a chair and was caught unawares.  The chair went flying into my top lip.  To be honest, it was brilliant because I saw the playback later and I go down like a bloody boxer!"
Mr. Radcliffe goes on to speak of life filming the Harry Potter films, calling the environment at Leavesden Studios in England by saying, "I've got all my mates there, it's a really safe environment and always has been... I love being there."  He continues:
"You just immediately felt that you were in some band of brothers in the French Resistance or something.  You were one of those cool ones suddenly, and I'd never been one of the cool kids at school, so that was awesome.  You realize that all the kids who were really cool at your school were actually scuzzy and horrible and boring.  The nerds are the ones that make the films and do loads of other really cool stuff in their life."
The magazine continues to discuss other elements of the young actors life, including his continued education and various media reports, many of which Radcliffe dubs "hilariously misinformed."  As the interview comes to a close, the conversation turns to the future.  Speaking of his current study of "the basics of ballet," he notes that "the thing is, in a few years I'll be 21, 22, and that's when all the guys who've been at drama school will come out.  They've been learning dance or singing and all that stuff, and I'm going to need to compete with them because I won't have Harry Potter as my safety net anymore.  I need to make myself as viable a choice for any part as I possibly can."

One of those possible future projects, Radcliffe relates, has him portraying a father, which he says is "very strange."  He continues:  "Occasionally I'll be reading scripts for stuff that might happen in the middle of next year, and then I'm taken out of Potterland for a while.  But this is basically where my head's at for the next year."

A slight caution for parents, this interview does contain discussion on a number of subjects that may be inappropriate for younger readers.  The full series of scans from the August issue of Esquire Magazine can be seen right here.

Thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Raven_avatar_thumb

Very interesting interview…

Posted by Won_Two on July 03, 2009, 06:59 PM report to moderator

he’s so sexy, by the way. <33333333333333333333

ADD ME! ;) and sorry if I posted too many times..

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 03, 2009, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Oh Dan…such a serious cutie. May have to actually go pick this magazine up off the stands!

Posted by Lillylove on July 03, 2009, 07:24 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Is this issue out now? I’m off work today for the Indepence Day holiday so I think I’ll have to go out for iced tea and dessert at a certain local eatery that features magazines you can read for free. Later!

Posted by iamminerva on July 03, 2009, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Excellent!!! I love the interview!!! Also Dan!!! jeje!!! But really great interview!
He’s right! He won’t have Harry Potter anymore!!! but he is a really good actor!!! he can do anything!!! He shouldn’t be worried about others!!! OMG ILD!!!

Cadoyp57_thumb

LOLOL!! He is so hilarious! I hope he does a comedy.

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on July 03, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator

Yay, he´s one of us, one of us, one of us. :) Atheist of the world: unite!

Sorry about that outburst, which might get deleted. ;)

He´s the man, and he won´t get in trouble for this interview. :) And it is still amazing how “normal” he comes across in interviews.

Posted by Fonty on July 03, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
373_thumb

wow look whos all grown up!!

Posted by mystifiedbymuggles on July 03, 2009, 08:39 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

I must confess I’m a bit disappointed. I’ve always liked his interviews but this one is at times so… private, and perplexing too… and I think I’d rather NOT know about those things!

Posted by Despina on July 03, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Img_3265_thumb

Great interview! I love reading what Dan has to say! :D

Posted by Alli on July 03, 2009, 11:51 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Wow that’s a cool interview…
Awesome that they filmed Godrics right…

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 04, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator

Its really interesting interview it’s cool to see that behind all the crazy celebrity stuff he’s just a normal teen

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 04, 2009, 01:04 AM report to moderator

I love the band aid on his head. His interviews are always so interesting.

Posted by prettygypsy2007 on July 04, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

In interview in which he doesn’t pull his punches, lol! He is as entertaining as ever.
I’m glad that I’m not the only one on the planet who isn’t keen on Michael Jackson’s music.

Posted by Graymayne on July 04, 2009, 06:08 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

He’s so sexy!! Only Dan could look that Handsome with a bloody nose and a black eye! I can’t wait to read this!

Posted by cghambright on July 04, 2009, 07:13 AM report to moderator

As they entered Lockhart's darkened office there was a flurry of movement across the walls; Harry saw several of the Lockharts in the pictures dodging out of sight, their hair in rollers.