Dan Radcliffe Talks Filming the Events on the Tower and More (Updated with Scans)

HBP Film
July 03, 2009, 09:42 PM

The Guardian has a new profile on actor Dan Racliffe now online (UPDATE: Scans courtesy of Ivana can be found via this link). In this lengthy new article, there is some conversation about his personal life and things he enjoys ("I'd love to write short stories and poetry, because those are my two passions. There is an art to a short story. I love Raymond Carver, and Chekhov - without making myself sound more highbrow than I am!" he blusters, a reminder of the public schoolboy he was, on and off, until the age of 17. "I watch Britain's Got Talent like the rest of us") but there are some new comments regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as well as news of some acting advice hes gotten from co-star Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) when he was preparing to do Equus on Broadway.

Regarding Mr. Rickman, the piece states: "Alan Rickman, Severus Snape in the Potter films, was a big help on Broadway. He cut short a holiday in Connecticut to visit Radcliffe and give him some pointers on stage presentation "that absolutely saw me through the last six weeks of the run" - how to be still, exploiting his "quite short and compact frame". Radcliffe says he used to "struggle" with Rickman: "I never used to know when he was joking or not. I think I took a lot of his sarcasm seriously. But recently I've woken up to it and he's actually a great guy."

In terms of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Dan Radcliffe describes filming the dramatic events on the tower which take place at end of the film, saying how emotional and hard it was to film, and he gives a reaction to a scene for Deathly Hallows as well. Quotage:

"The whole film was quite difficult, but particularly that scene. I'd never been bereaved until the end of last year, when I lost my grandmother - before that, I'd never experienced any kind of sadness. So it was very tricky. It's also a tremendous pressure, because you know that a lot of people watching the film will have felt that. I tried to play it quite quiet, because that's just how Harry is."

The film also marks Harry's second kiss, with Ginny Weasley, sister of best friend Ron. Was that enjoyable? "It was quite weird for me because I've known Bonnie [Wright, who plays Ginny] since she was nine and I was 11. Very strange. But we got through it. It was good. And it'll get a bit of a cheer from the Potter fans. But I have to say, today I saw playback of Ron and Hermione's kiss [from the final book], and it is easily, from what we've filmed so far, the biggest moment in all the films. It is," he says approvingly, "a great kiss."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Hogwartshouses_thumb

Alan Rickman, sarcastic? I would have never guessed. :P

Posted by Bellamount on July 04, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator

I agree with Bellamont. I loove Alan Rickman, and I am not at all surprised to find out he’s fairly sarcastic.

Posted by prettygypsy2007 on July 04, 2009, 02:32 PM report to moderator

The kiss b/w Ron and Hermione = a great kiss? Please don’t torture me that way! HBP isn’t even out yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 04, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator

frnlrwme, that’s none of our business, that’s between Daniel and her, and I don’t think she will mind all the nice (very very nice) comments he makes of her in this interview.
When I read some of the fans’ comments I feel a little ashamed, some of you always talk as if you were more intelligent than all of these people, as if you knew more about the movies and all the actors (in this case Rickman and Watson) than they do, you always find something to criticize… maybe you could learn a little of this young man and being humbler?

Posted by ethanHP on July 04, 2009, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

“Deathly Hallows” was my favorite of the books, and I’m pretty sure it will be my favorite film, too, if for no other reason than they won’t have to cut so much! In the mean time, tho, I CAN’T WAIT for the HBP movie in 13 days. Ordered my tickets online tonight (and got the free sound track song!). Dan is such a great young man — we’re lucky to have him as Harry, IMO.

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on July 04, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Dscf3969_background_thumb

just 11 more days!!

Posted by AishMeist on July 04, 2009, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

oh great interview! ILD!!! Love him!!! =)

Ringtailedcat_thumb

I always love Dan’s interviews… and I’m happy to see what he said about Ron and Hermione’s kiss!

Posted by starkitty313 on July 04, 2009, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

finally. an opinion on the r/hr kiss that doesn’t come from the parties involved. it’s obvoiusly been tough for Rupert and Emma to stay objective. and Dan has good taste, if he says it’s great, it’s great!

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 04, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

LOL about what he said about Alan Rickman..I’d be one of those ppl who would take the sarcasm seriously too haha especially from Him….A Great Kiss??? wow. Dan great way to make me long for something I won’t see for TWO years..

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 04, 2009, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Cool interview!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 04, 2009, 06:47 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

I don’t care much about the kisses though.

What a delightful young man!

Posted by hewy on July 04, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Dscf3969_background_thumb

I would love to interview him, I don’t think I could stop laughing at what he comes out with though!

Posted by AishMeist on July 05, 2009, 04:51 AM report to moderator
268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

“Great Kiss”!!!!!! I can’t wait

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on July 05, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Anyone can speak Troll," said Fred dismissively. "All you have to do is point and grunt."