Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

To Kill a Mockingbird as a BEACH book?! Some people lied, lied, lied.

HP is no surprise as #1! GoF is my pick for the beach. Or maybe Deathly Hallows, but that could be because it’s the only one I haven’t read multiple times.

Posted by JackieC on July 30, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

Well, of course HP is first =D
But the other books on the list are very prestigious, I mean, Harper Lee ? Congratulations Harry potter !

I actually very much agree, I started and finished all the novels during the summer, or when I was bored after/during school. I quite have to disagree with Pride of Prejudice being on here, it was quite an awful book.

Posted by weasleymyking on July 30, 2009, 08:48 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

i ALWAYS take hp to the beach with me! that is hilarious! great poll

0606091731_1__thumb

All of them are great

Posted by Jesse~{ROAR}~ on July 31, 2009, 12:19 AM report to moderator
Dh__flight_of_hedwig_by_clouded_ambition_thumb

This is why JKR needs to give permission to put them on KINDLE! The books make perfect reading anytime.

Posted by dcsbelle [WBM] OOM3, CW on July 31, 2009, 12:48 AM report to moderator
2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

wow thought i would never take my good copy. I did take it last time i went to beach. I would just lay there and tan lol.

Posted by got2lovme on July 31, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_thumb

They are all great beach reads.

Posted by Athenamalfoy on July 31, 2009, 02:24 AM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

I’ve actually been thinking about getting the American versions in paperback, just for occasions such as the beach! :) Brought my UK hardcovers to the beach when I went to Greece this summer, and never again. My poor salt-water/sand stained Chamber of Secrets!

Posted by Kissa on July 31, 2009, 03:03 AM report to moderator
Before_qudditch_thumb

cool xD

Posted by TasyaWeasley on July 31, 2009, 06:21 AM report to moderator

orderr of the phoenix is definately my all time favorite<3 prisoner of azkaban is also good to just sit and relax and readd

Posted by blackloverxoxo on July 31, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator

Posted by blackloverxoxo on July 31, 2009, 10:48 AM report to moderator

Posted by blackloverxoxo on July 31, 2009, 10:48 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

completely agree! :O)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 31, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I love taking Harry Potter on my hols. If I had to choose one to take it would probably be OotP. But you know I’d prefer to take all of them and read them in order. But then again reading them out of order is still pretty good!! :D

Harry knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons, and the worst of it was that a very small, unbiased part of him knew that they had good reason: Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that