Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Thistletopiary_thumb

Since DH has been at the top of my list since page one, I’ll go with it for my choice. At the other extreme, PS/SS might be a good summer holiday choice, for the giddiness of discovering the magical world. Remember how much fun that was?!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on July 30, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I LOVE ALL THE HP BOOKS>> Can’t choose!!!!!!!!!!! I Love RE-Reading Them…………..Must do this agian after I finish ‘Harry, A History’

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 30, 2009, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I don’t really read on the beach since I’m 13 and usually play about but I do think HP PS is the best book to read. I noticed there are a lot of amazing books there though never read them I just know from other peoples opinons. Ha I don’t have to wonder why Twilight is not there.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 30, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator
P1010012_thumb

Alright!!! :D :D :D that is so awesome that HP got that spot!

Well right now I’m reading HBP by the pool every day, but that’s only because of the movie coming out…I think probably on a holiday or at the beach, my favourite would be OotP, because it’s the most adventurous. Also, PoA because it’s such a whole, complete mythological story in and of itself, and includes time travel and mystical flying critters, so is perfect for taking you away from the normal.

Posted by Gwynog'srabbit on July 30, 2009, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

Way to go Harry Potter… I would also add the Sookie Stackhouse series for best beach books, but they are very much adult books.

Posted by Figment on July 30, 2009, 10:43 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

It is so cool that HP came top of that list of 100 books.
My favorite HP book is … too difficult to choose. If I couldnt take all the HP books with me, I’d take PoA and SS.

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 30, 2009, 10:43 AM report to moderator
B4_1__thumb

That’s true, i got my goblet of fire out today :D going on holiday, so i need a big book to read! :)

Posted by justanargle on July 30, 2009, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Granger_thumb

I re-read the whole series each summer, but the best summer one is the Goblet of Fire.

Posted by bjullie on July 30, 2009, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

yeah go Hbp!!

Posted by The Nerd on July 30, 2009, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

For my favorite one… I’d have be either HBP or DH. They have the most action… even though I’d say that HBP would be a bit better than the DH. LOL All of them are good to read though…. I just finished re-reading them all! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 30, 2009, 11:15 AM report to moderator
295565_thumb

HBP is my favorit <3 , also The Kite Runner is quite good

Posted by soso on July 30, 2009, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

we dont need them to tell us that! :)

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on July 30, 2009, 11:27 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_mug_thumb

4 of those books I absolutely love!
We analyzed Poinsonwood Bible in school last year, it’s amazing. And the year before last we read The Great Gatsby.
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite love story ever and my absolute favorite book is HBP!

Posted by felicitas on July 30, 2009, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Tabandtrav_thumb

I think my favorite to read on a beach would be Goblet of Fire, it was my favorite of the series until Deathly Hallows. Even though I have read Deathly Hallows 4 times, I still cry every time, so I know better than to read it in public.

Posted by hedwigsrevenge {WBM!} on July 30, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Oh_yes_thumb

Always DH because it’s my favorite book. Not just of Harry Potter, but of all time. It’s my go-to book when I don’t know what to read.

Posted by partyweetow on July 30, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator

[Mrs. Weasley] pointed to the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!" she said, swelling with pride.[br]"And last," Fred muttered under his breath.