Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Giant_potter1_thumb

Just don’t take your ebook reader to the beach, sand will get into it. I’ve learned my lesson. :)

Posted by mtbsergio on July 29, 2009, 11:17 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

Haha, my GoF book is full of sand from the beach!

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 29, 2009, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Avatarrockthesoul057

Hahaha I have to admit, I read 6, 7, and 4 at the beach this summer. Yea, for living in FL! haha

Posted by Britski on July 29, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator

I think Deathly Hallows would be a good beach read. Its so intense and you would get a GREAT tan from being so wrapped up in the book!

Posted by impoohnfrenz on July 29, 2009, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

Hmmm is is a coinsidence that I am on vacation at the beach this week?? I brought HBP along with me to read….

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on July 30, 2009, 12:05 AM report to moderator
Hpwallpap_thumb

The 3rd or 7th one probably. Haha the 5th one was my favorite, but then I saw the movie and it just ruined it for me. Hmm… or maybe the 6th one. Or the 4th… haha no no, either Deathly Hallows or Prisoner of Azkaban. Final Answer.

Posted by CordyLovesSirius(ROAR!) on July 30, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator

Awesome!

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 30, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator

OOTP!!
then DH,
then GOF!

Posted by pottershrink on July 30, 2009, 12:35 AM report to moderator

Man, i went to beach this summer and read the whole series.

It was so awesome… prolly my 4th time reading the whole series together….

I am always reading an Hp book though…
I love them all so much, to hard to deside which is my favorite

Posted by madman1277 on July 30, 2009, 12:42 AM report to moderator

If i had to though…
1. Ootp/DH/Hpb
… ugh nvm still cant deside

Posted by madman1277 on July 30, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator

Good list- we are leaving for the beach next week! Got the books on CD for the drive.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on July 30, 2009, 12:47 AM report to moderator

I have one last Comment…

This news about how HP books are peoples favorites for vacations, is so good to hear. I firmly believe and hope that the HP series will live for centuries. I know im going to introduce my kids to it, and i hope they do the same to theirs.

Posted by madman1277 on July 30, 2009, 12:49 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_m2rela3or11qdoyv4o1_500_thumb

I have actually brought the fifth one to the beach twice this summer :) My favorite is between one, five, and seven… but I love them all :)

Posted by *ariana_dumbledore* on July 30, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Squidbillies_thumb

I do read them at the beach

Posted by Squidbillie on July 30, 2009, 01:16 AM report to moderator

I’m definitely for Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice! :)

Posted by darkprincess637 on July 30, 2009, 01:45 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"What -- the -- [i]devil[/i] -- are -- you -- doing?" said Uncle Vernon through gritted teeth, his face horribly close to Harry's. "You've just ruined the punch line of my Japanese golfer joke.... One more sound and you'll wish you'd never been born, boy!