Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Werid. I read my harry potter books anytime i go to the beach. If the water is to cold, i enter another world. <3

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 29, 2009, 10:03 PM report to moderator
199316_thumb

Favorite is definitely Deathly Hallows!

Posted by hogwarts911 on July 29, 2009, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS :D
brings great joy to my life lmao :)

Posted by Mosu on July 29, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

Read HBP before seeing the film to fill in the gaps the movie would have. I’m reading DH now, just because…. but not at any beach. I prefer a comfortable chair.

Posted by biiigbob on July 29, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

I say Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire. Though they would all be great of course.

Posted by Olivia on July 29, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Summer_trip__09_113_thumb

Wow i saw so many people with a copy of HBP in their hand this year & it made me so happy! The BOOK fandom is spreading I believe! :) well I hope so! Read the books don’t just watch the movie PLEASE! :D

1. 5 is my favorite book to read over and over again. My favorite is #7 but reading it over and over again is too emotional for my poor head!
    <33
Posted by HermioneWwannabe *ROAR* --%-{@ on July 29, 2009, 10:16 PM report to moderator
Photo_on_2011-03-13_at_16

woah…. i’ve read 3 off that list…….1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee 8. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
but i haven’t read any of them on the beach.

Posted by Darth Luna on July 29, 2009, 10:26 PM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22030 Points

Great!!! really great!!!

Love them all (of course); 5 is a great book but the hardest to read, so much angst and injustice. 7 is the fantastic epic climax, probably my favorite, but 6 is the most amusing, like the picnic between two storms. 4 is the the fun Indy Jones of the series; 3 has the best plot mind warp; 1 is the fab beginning; 2 is perhaps the least successful of this very successful set but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it.

Posted by dragonfrog on July 29, 2009, 10:32 PM report to moderator
008_thumb

True that!!

Posted by TaylerWeasley on July 29, 2009, 10:32 PM report to moderator
008_thumb

True that!!

Posted by TaylerWeasley on July 29, 2009, 10:32 PM report to moderator

I know I always take a HP book with me when I go to the beach.

Posted by angelvoice on July 29, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Jd_thumb

HBP is my favorite….

Posted by hp_flower {WBM} on July 29, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Heather_harry_thumb

Best beach books I ever took with me were the Harry Potter books on audiotape (Love you, Stephen Fry) and Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon (all of the Outlander series are good, thick books that you can lose yourself in).

Posted by Faerenach on July 29, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

hbp is the best hp book to read!! :)

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on July 29, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]Crack.[/i][br]"OUCH!"[br]"Keep your voice down, Ron, or Mum'll be back up here."[br]"You two just Apparated on my knees!"[br]"Yeah, well, it's harder in the dark --"