Chair Used by J. K. Rowling Sells for 20,000 Pounds at Charity Auction

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 28, 2009, 02:22 PM

Recently, TLC reported that a chair used by author J. K. Rowling while she wrote the first two Harry Potter novels went up for a charity auction benefiting the Books Abroad charity which sends free school books to impoverished countries.  The Scotsman is now reporting that the auction has ended, with the chair being sold for a winning bid of 20,000 Pounds ($33,900).  Matthew Ford, the art dealer organizing the sale, is quoted as saying of the auction of this particular chair:

"It's a chair you would pay a tenner for in a junk shop but, historically, it's the most important chair in Muggledom, and probably one of the most exceptional and rare pieces of Harry Potter memorabilia ever likely to be offered for sale."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Picture_1_thumb

i would buy that….too bad i only have like 3 dollars

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on July 28, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

I love teh way she decorated it and made it even more special! I also think it is cool that this item will be preserved for our cultural history…you know like the future Harry Potter museum ;)

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on July 28, 2009, 11:03 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

YYYYEEEESSSS!!!!

Posted by jediofthelost on July 29, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

YYYYEEEESSSS!!!!

Posted by jediofthelost on July 29, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator

Something so mundane so expensive.
But still, awesome :D

Posted by creamkisses on July 29, 2009, 03:20 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

It’s neat that it sold for so much money … but, not entirely surprizing because, not only did JKR sit on the chair which in itself would be a major fact but, she wrote the Potterverse while sitting on that chair. So it’s a totally historic chair now. And she decorated it so, it sure is one special chair. If I owned it (which I hastily point out that I dont … alas) I’m not sure that I’d dare to sit on it. I wonder if the person that bought the chair will use it or keep it as an artefact?

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 29, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator

just goes to show the impact one person can truly make.

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 29, 2009, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

That chair belongs in a museum…

Posted by Won_Two on July 29, 2009, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Fantmagic_thumb

I’m imaging an awful Goldilocks and the Three Bears situation, in which the chair erm suffers. Oh me and my imagination. If I had a chair that could be that helpful to charity that’d be great. There’s always the slim possibility I have a valuable antique chair lying around somewhere, but somehow I doubt it.

Posted by Amaterasu on July 29, 2009, 01:44 PM report to moderator
100_1165_thumb

That is so cool. I actually am looking for a cool old chair that I can draw on….maybe I’ll be able to sell it one day!

Posted by muggleslovemagick on July 29, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

That’s really cool!!!

Wicca_thumb

While I love that she donated such a great pop culture item, I am wondering why someone would pay that much money for a chair. I love her, don’t get me wrong, and I also got a kick out of the guy saying Muggledom, but that is kind of weird. Bless her for donating it to charity.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on July 29, 2009, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

Is it sad that i would pay more money for that chair?

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 29, 2009, 05:36 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

LOL, that is amazing. I love collectables, but I couldn’t spend that much on a chair.

Posted by Figment on July 29, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Photo_on_2011-03-13_at_16

omg it would rock to have that chair!

Posted by Darth Luna on July 29, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator

...a hook-nosed man was shouting at a cowering woman, while a small dark-haired boy cried in a corner... A greasy-haired teenager sat alone in a dark bedroom, pointing his wand at the ceiling, shooting down flies... A girl was laughing as a scrawny boy tr