Half-Blood Prince Slips Domestically, Still Leads World Wide Box Office with 627 Million to Date

HBP Film
July 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Media reports were quick to trumpet the news that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince slipped to number two at domestic box office sales, with the new Disney film "G-Force" nabbing the top spot.  Variety reports however that HBP continues to do remarkably well both domestic and notably on the international front as the industry magazine reports: "Half-Blood Prince" remained the worldwide leader, earning a magical $84.4 million internationally for a total haul of $627.1 million. That’s the top pace for the "Potter" franchise. Domestic gross was an estimated $30 million from 4,325 runs.

The LA Times also points out that while HBP "declined 61%. 2007's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which also opened on a Wednesday in July, fell 57.8% on its second weekend. As of Sunday, the total domestic gross for "Half-Blood Prince" was $221.8 million. Accounting for the 9% rise in ticket prices over the last two years, that puts it about $5 million behind "Order of the Phoenix" at the same point. The new movie does have one disadvantage, however: It's playing at only four Imax locations, whereas "Order of the Phoenix" was at 91. The large-size screens carry higher ticket prices and tend to lose business at a slow pace." The newspaper also reminds us that this week, Half-Blood Prince will indeed be opening on 162 IMAX screens.

Finally the newspaper says that HBP "cost $250 million to produce and about $155 million to market and distribute. Since studios keep about half of their films' ticket sales, Warner Bros. is likely to break even on the theatrical run of "Half-Blood Prince" and profit handsomely on the DVD and in other markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

G-force, that flick about mfing hamsters beat HBPWTF???

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 27, 2009, 05:31 PM report to moderator

Whoopie! Im .1% of that 627 million. I helped! I feel very acomplished

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 27, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

I have to admit I’m really disappointed G-Force took the lead. :/

Posted by Awakened on July 27, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

It’s so odd that G-Force did so well – the critics PANNED G-Force and raved about HBP…. I still plan on seeing it at least once more in the theatre and definitely seeing it in IMAX.

Posted by BwaySaint on July 27, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Abbie_on_pillow_thumb

Meh, no sympathy here for WB. They’re the ones who caused the IMAX delay with their little stunt last fall. It’s too bad for the Potter franchise, but they just teased it for way too long and infuriated too many fans with the delay. Oh well, I do agree it’ll likely be back on top next week once everyone’s ready to catch it in IMAX.

Posted by GinaC on July 27, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

i really couldn’t believe it that Gforce beat HBP this past weekend, hopefully with the imax releases things will pick up again!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 27, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Violetzoomin_thumb

“Domestically”? To me, ‘domestic’ would be in the UK for the Harry Potter series, not US.

Now I need to find go find the punch bowl to drop the t##d in. :)

And yes I did go see HBP, and I took my two daughters. And no I will not go to see it again. At least it was better than OOTP. Call me a weirdo but I thought Tom Felton and Helena Carter were the best, and there is still something about Daniel that in the far corners in my mind says ’he’s an actor’; not the complete suspension of disbelief.

Another brown one in the proverbial bowl.

Please do not assume that I disliked the books, I LOVED the books, I am in the process of reading all seven to my son, the youngest, and with voices for most characters except the three (too hard on the voice otherwise).

Posted by NuttyAsSP on July 27, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator

G-Force, the guinea pig action movie, is beating Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Is this possible? But 627 million is a lot of money, and HBP will always beat guinea pigs in my book. :-)

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 27, 2009, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Infinitus_avatar_thumb

I have to admit that I am quite surprised that G-Force has taken the #1 spot, let alone beat HBP. I had never even heard of this movie until a couple days before it was released. I just find this very strange because no one, and I mean absolutely no one, I know has or wants to see this movie. I have three sibling that are 9 years old or younger and none of them have any interest in see this movie so I don’t understand what group is making this movie so popular. I am just completely baffled about this, especially so considering all the other choices in movies people have.

Posted by Miss Freewind on July 28, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

i loved half-blood prince but the end was a bit dumbed down…

Posted by chanman on July 28, 2009, 12:37 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

G-Force? I don’t know anyone who wants to/will go and see it

Posted by chanman on July 28, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Emma7_thumb

gforce tickets are goimng to run at least $2-$3 more per ticket due to the 3D factor.

Posted by acciolumos on July 28, 2009, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

I’m surprised attendance dropped that much, but that seems to be the trend these days— the same thing has happened with a number of blockbusters recently. Hopefully things will pick up with the IMAX release, but it seems to me like WB is going to do a lot better than just break even with ticket sales.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 28, 2009, 02:11 AM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I cant believe G-Force really?!!

Posted by minishiva on July 28, 2009, 06:26 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

HBP rules. G-Force drools.

"Of course, we Seers have always been feared, always persecuted... It is -- alas -- our fate..."