Half-Blood Prince Slips Domestically, Still Leads World Wide Box Office with 627 Million to Date

HBP Film
July 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Media reports were quick to trumpet the news that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince slipped to number two at domestic box office sales, with the new Disney film "G-Force" nabbing the top spot.  Variety reports however that HBP continues to do remarkably well both domestic and notably on the international front as the industry magazine reports: "Half-Blood Prince" remained the worldwide leader, earning a magical $84.4 million internationally for a total haul of $627.1 million. That’s the top pace for the "Potter" franchise. Domestic gross was an estimated $30 million from 4,325 runs.

The LA Times also points out that while HBP "declined 61%. 2007's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which also opened on a Wednesday in July, fell 57.8% on its second weekend. As of Sunday, the total domestic gross for "Half-Blood Prince" was $221.8 million. Accounting for the 9% rise in ticket prices over the last two years, that puts it about $5 million behind "Order of the Phoenix" at the same point. The new movie does have one disadvantage, however: It's playing at only four Imax locations, whereas "Order of the Phoenix" was at 91. The large-size screens carry higher ticket prices and tend to lose business at a slow pace." The newspaper also reminds us that this week, Half-Blood Prince will indeed be opening on 162 IMAX screens.

Finally the newspaper says that HBP "cost $250 million to produce and about $155 million to market and distribute. Since studios keep about half of their films' ticket sales, Warner Bros. is likely to break even on the theatrical run of "Half-Blood Prince" and profit handsomely on the DVD and in other markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

P1010630_thumb

Whe you think that their outlay was 405 Million, it’s a good thing we are enthusiastic – especially for the DVD’s which I can’t wait for!! I want them to make a good profit so they don’t skimp on the last two!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 27, 2009, 11:52 AM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I have a hard time believing that they’re just going to “break even” with the profits from HBP release. Studios don’t do movies to “break even”, they make movies to make money.

Posted by Liderc on July 27, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
4_thumb

i saw HBP two times already and intend to go again. :))

Posted by asne on July 27, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator

What most people should be caring about is that in ten years time, the movies are going to have to be remade because the director of the last 4 of the movies can’t stick to the books. Artistic license is one thing, but clearly the director has not read the entire story book by book. Half Blood Prince was disappointing. In the first 5 chapters alone there was so very much left out. In the books, there are things that are “mentioned” which matter a great deal later on. Yates decided many things did not matter. The thought of what he’s going to “invent” in Deathly Hallows makes me sick. You know, it isn’t as if he did not have a great story and plot written for him already. It was the books people fell in love with. The movies should stick to them.

Posted by Mirwren on July 27, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator
0606091731_1__thumb

HBP is still always going to be in the lead, its just that good

Posted by Jesse~{ROAR}~ on July 27, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
300

Who cares Harry Potter is still way better than G force.

Posted by Hermione Granger -Weasley on July 27, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

thats a lot of money.

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 27, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

Come on G-Force is a brand-new movie that people want to watch it.

Posted by jediofthelost on July 27, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Actually, G-force is a cute movie, and sufficiently upbeat for someone just wanting escape and a good laugh.

HBP is darker and more thoughtful, but I agree with some of the posts that the newer HP movies are leaving out much of the fullness of experience of the books.

Posted by budgie on July 27, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Polecat_thumb

I’ve seen HBP twice now, and am seeing it again next week with my sister. I did think the trailer for G-Force looked amusing, but there’s no way it will take more than HBP in total ticket sales.
Although I am now more impatient for the DVD release! I want to be able to watch it as often as I like!

Posted by Abi Demina on July 27, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Polecat_thumb

Posted by Abi Demina on July 27, 2009, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Seen it 3 times alreaady and now I’m wating to Aug 2nd to see it at I-max. Plan on seeing it many times after that too.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 27, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator

Greater drop-off in the 2nd week than I expected. The IMAX is clearly missing, so next weekend might not see another strong drop-off, because people may want to see it again in IMAX. I would, but I can´t go too Berlin or London. :) I´ve seen it twice so far, want to see it more, but the English version isn´t showing anymore, I must wait until September, when it comes to my city.

Posted by Fonty on July 27, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

$627 million. Wow!

Posted by Christine on July 27, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
N626741765_1785128_8759_1__thumb

kidding?? C’mon! How can people compare guinea pigs with Harry Potter!!!!

Posted by nandybared on July 27, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator

Harry sat there staring at Snape as the lesson began, picturing horrific things happening to him... If only he knew how to do the Cruciatus Curse... he'd have Snape flat on his back like that spider, jerking and twitching...