Half-Blood Prince Slips Domestically, Still Leads World Wide Box Office with 627 Million to Date

HBP Film
July 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Media reports were quick to trumpet the news that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince slipped to number two at domestic box office sales, with the new Disney film "G-Force" nabbing the top spot.  Variety reports however that HBP continues to do remarkably well both domestic and notably on the international front as the industry magazine reports: "Half-Blood Prince" remained the worldwide leader, earning a magical $84.4 million internationally for a total haul of $627.1 million. That’s the top pace for the "Potter" franchise. Domestic gross was an estimated $30 million from 4,325 runs.

The LA Times also points out that while HBP "declined 61%. 2007's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which also opened on a Wednesday in July, fell 57.8% on its second weekend. As of Sunday, the total domestic gross for "Half-Blood Prince" was $221.8 million. Accounting for the 9% rise in ticket prices over the last two years, that puts it about $5 million behind "Order of the Phoenix" at the same point. The new movie does have one disadvantage, however: It's playing at only four Imax locations, whereas "Order of the Phoenix" was at 91. The large-size screens carry higher ticket prices and tend to lose business at a slow pace." The newspaper also reminds us that this week, Half-Blood Prince will indeed be opening on 162 IMAX screens.

Finally the newspaper says that HBP "cost $250 million to produce and about $155 million to market and distribute. Since studios keep about half of their films' ticket sales, Warner Bros. is likely to break even on the theatrical run of "Half-Blood Prince" and profit handsomely on the DVD and in other markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Twitter_version_thumb

its because we rushed out and seen it. hopefully goin 2 go again though

Posted by sianletley on July 27, 2009, 08:10 AM report to moderator
60c9c9ed966148bcbf9c4a4258e60858_1__thumb

WOW that is a lot of money …

Posted by FrancescaElle on July 27, 2009, 08:19 AM report to moderator
Gatinho_thumb

I was stunned when I saw it was second! C’mon… G-Force?!… I is pretty unbelievable!
I guess I’m the only person around here who still have not seen the movie. :)

Posted by Carol Carvalho on July 27, 2009, 08:22 AM report to moderator
Img_4954_thumb

Umm, ticket prices didn’t go up around here. Actually they went down…

Posted by CrazedMuggle on July 27, 2009, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Leakyav2_thumb

Until I saw Half Blood Prince, I hadn’t even heard of ‘G-Force’- I saw the trailer before the movie.

Posted by The Whomping Willow on July 27, 2009, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Ipod-harry_thumb

well HBP gets a better rating on rotten tomatoes than any of the movies that beat it… Transformers and G-Force both got 20% and HBP has 86%

Posted by horsepatronus64 on July 27, 2009, 08:43 AM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

G-Force? Seriously? THAT out sold HBP last week? I do agree with the assessment that the lack of IMAX in most places until 2 weeks after the debut of HBP has/will hurt sales and clearly that’s what happened last week. I went to the midnight screening, but I’ve been waiting for the IMAX3D version to open here before I go see it my second and third time. I know a lot of other people who are doing the same so it won’t surprise me at all if HBP is back on top again after it opens in all IMAX theatres this week.

Posted by bella vita on July 27, 2009, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Poesy_-_copie_thumb

G Force!? It won’t be my fault, I’ve already seen the movie 3 times! hehe! And I won’t be seing G Force… =/ But I agree with you bella vita, I won’t be surprise if HBP is back on top again this week.

Posted by Hepburn on July 27, 2009, 09:26 AM report to moderator

I think HBP will be number one again this weekend. Every HP fan I know (including me) went to see it opening night and then decided to wait till it came to IMAX to start seeing it again. I already have 4 IMAX viewing dates.

Posted by Gryffindor51 on July 27, 2009, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

I also saw that OoP opened on regular and IMAX screens, whereas HBP will only open on IMAX afetr a week or so — so expect another surge in HBP attendance when that happens.. G-Force? Meh.

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on July 27, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator

Looks like postponing HBP’s release really saved WB. If fans had not been so starved for the next installment, the numbers might have looked worse.

As for losing to G-Force, not so surprising. The HP books were written for children, and the richness of look and tone of the corresponding films was a bit of a reassurance against the darker elements of the stories. But, since the latest installment of filmmakers has seen fit to overhaul the series and tailor it to suit them, some younger fans were no doubt left out of the equation. So, for them, guinea pigs might seem the safer option.

Posted by Jillxoxo on July 27, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I cant believe G Force beat HBP. A kids movie! Wow that sucks.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 27, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

WOW!!! 627 MILLION!!!! Already?! That’s amazing!!!

But people should NOT be surprised that a movie about crime-fighting talking Gerbils made so much money because Beverly Hills Chihuaha already proved that movies like that do well.

And HBP hasn’t even come out in Imax yet and it still made over 30 million this weekend. That’s AWESOME!!! Go HP!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 27, 2009, 09:58 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Wow maybe is ould go into moive makeing buissnsi

Posted by The Nerd on July 27, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

Wow, 627 millions, that’s a lot of money…. Probably, I will go to watch HBP again, to make them more sucessful, hahahah… Hope that HBP, will be on the first place….

Posted by Petra on July 27, 2009, 10:11 AM report to moderator

"HELLO? HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? I -- WANT -- TO -- TALK -- TO -- HARRY -- POTTER!"[br]Ron was yelling so loudly that Uncle Vernon jumped and held the receiver a foot away from his ear, staring at it with an expression of mingled fury and alarm.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014