Dan Radcliffe In August Issue of Attitude Magazine

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) has given a very candid new interview to the UK gay magazine Attitude, which appears in the August issue of the magazine on newsstands now.  The August issue of this magazine features a multi-page photo spread and interview with the actor, which can be seen right here in our Image Galleries courtesy of our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com.  The BBC has an article online highlighting parts of this interview, incliding Mr. Radcliffe's comments on his loathing of homophobia, as well as his liberal political leanings.  On the subject of homophobia, the actor relates that, "I grew up around gay people entirely. I was the only child in my class who had any experience of homosexuality or anything like that."  In the full interview he goes on to say:

"My dad was an agent and represented Jonathan Harvery who wrote Beautiful Thing so I grew up knowing Jonathan and his partner and it was just never an issue.  Then when you get to that age at school and someone calls you a poof, and you go, "What?"  You go, "Hold on, why is this word being used like this?"  It suddenly became really weird for me to have people around me who were homophobic.  It was a very strange, weird thing. I've always been around gay people."
The interview continues with Mr. Radcliffe speaking on a number of subjects, including politics and getting out the youth vote.  On this subject he says: "It's so important young people learn about politics and vote even if it's a protest vote to make a point.  Not voting is not a protest."  Dan Radcliffe wraps up his interview in Attitude, which a short discussion of his future after the Harry Potter films.  In this section, the actor speaks further to the possibility of playing late photojournalist Dan Eldon in an upcoming project:
"I'm hopefully going to play Dan Eldon,the photojournalist who was stoned to death in Somalia.  I've spoken with his mother and sister and met them.  We need to make sure we get it right and do him real justice."
A caution to parents, as this interview does contain discussion of subjects and language that may not be suitable for younger readers.  The full interview and complete photo spread can be found over in our Image Galleries.

Many thanks to DanRadcliffe.com.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Hpwallpap_thumb

Has anyone seen his interview on Inside the Actor’s Studio? It’s genius. He’ s just a charming and witty guy. I love how open minded and relaxed he is with discussing certain topics.

Posted by CordyLovesSirius(ROAR!) on July 30, 2009, 12:48 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

@DiamindWings that is a pretty disgusting way to say something about gays.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 30, 2009, 06:53 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

But oh well it was a funny interview.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 30, 2009, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Picture_3_thumb

@DiamondWings – I know someone else has already said something to you about this, but being gay is not “weird”, and there is no reason why growing up around gay people would be a weird or uncomfortable experience. Gay people are just people, not anything weird or anything to be avoided or scorned.

PS Dan rocks!!! He goes up in my estimation every time I see or read another interview with him :D

Posted by Araminta1987 on July 30, 2009, 08:17 AM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

That’s a pretty good article. I agree that it’s terrible to be homophobic. Even as a Christian, I find it offensive to say it’s “weird” to grow up in that environment. I do take offense when people are being put down. Despite his very open views, I enjoy his work. I may not agree with all his views, but his work is what really matters to me.

Posted by punkedup88 on July 30, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Besides, if you grow up with gay people…it’s not at all weird to you…it’s normal! The only “weird” thing was when I was told that someone was gay who I had grown up with…it was weird when I first found out (the person told me himself), but that weirdness lasted only a little while…then everything was back to normal…but better!

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on July 30, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator

I’m so happy to see Dan is standing up for the homoesexual men and women around the world! He is such a role model!

Posted by weasleymyking on July 30, 2009, 08:57 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Good for him. I think homophobia is so stupid, especially in the 21st century. I like them photos as well lol! :)

Q3_thumb

I love the advice at the end of the article
cos that’s what I do with my parents too LMFAO

Posted by KennedyJames on August 02, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"You can't start [i]flying cars[/i] to try and get yourself noticed. Just calm down, all right? Plenty of time for all that when you're older. Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking! 'It's all right for him, he's an internationally famous wizard already!'