Dan Radcliffe In August Issue of Attitude Magazine

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) has given a very candid new interview to the UK gay magazine Attitude, which appears in the August issue of the magazine on newsstands now.  The August issue of this magazine features a multi-page photo spread and interview with the actor, which can be seen right here in our Image Galleries courtesy of our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com.  The BBC has an article online highlighting parts of this interview, incliding Mr. Radcliffe's comments on his loathing of homophobia, as well as his liberal political leanings.  On the subject of homophobia, the actor relates that, "I grew up around gay people entirely. I was the only child in my class who had any experience of homosexuality or anything like that."  In the full interview he goes on to say:

"My dad was an agent and represented Jonathan Harvery who wrote Beautiful Thing so I grew up knowing Jonathan and his partner and it was just never an issue.  Then when you get to that age at school and someone calls you a poof, and you go, "What?"  You go, "Hold on, why is this word being used like this?"  It suddenly became really weird for me to have people around me who were homophobic.  It was a very strange, weird thing. I've always been around gay people."
The interview continues with Mr. Radcliffe speaking on a number of subjects, including politics and getting out the youth vote.  On this subject he says: "It's so important young people learn about politics and vote even if it's a protest vote to make a point.  Not voting is not a protest."  Dan Radcliffe wraps up his interview in Attitude, which a short discussion of his future after the Harry Potter films.  In this section, the actor speaks further to the possibility of playing late photojournalist Dan Eldon in an upcoming project:
"I'm hopefully going to play Dan Eldon,the photojournalist who was stoned to death in Somalia.  I've spoken with his mother and sister and met them.  We need to make sure we get it right and do him real justice."
A caution to parents, as this interview does contain discussion of subjects and language that may not be suitable for younger readers.  The full interview and complete photo spread can be found over in our Image Galleries.

Many thanks to DanRadcliffe.com.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I love him even more know.One of the most interesting interviews he gave so far. I love that he is interested in politics.Good to see that he is humble, sincere and inteligent.

Posted by minishiva on July 28, 2009, 06:21 AM report to moderator

Hereward: What do you mean? I know plenty of gay-friendly conservatives, moderates, independents, etc. In fact, there are a few online blogs that feature gay citizens discussing their conservative views. There are quite a few of fiscally conservative gays that would support other parties if they were aware of their social views.

I am gay myself, but I am more of a moderate.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on July 28, 2009, 06:25 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I really admire Dan — what an intelligent young man. It’s great that he is so open-minded and willing to be himself in interviews.

Ravenclaw_thumb

Reading this interview reminds me why Dan does such an outstanding job of playing a hero: he doesn’t have to try very hard. What an outstandingly open-minded and humanity-loving man. I’m so very proud to have one with his caliber playing a character I love like I love Harry.

Posted by jords on July 28, 2009, 07:50 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@jords, that’s very very well said! You took the words right off my keyboard. Dan is quite a bit like Harry in many ways - he’s very open-minded and sincere, humane, extremely intelligent, brave (again, how many other young stars would give such an interview) and loyal, just like Harry. Dumbledore’s man through and through. I could totally picture Harry giving an interview like that in a wizarding world version of Attitude. :)

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 28, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

the Potter kids continue to amaze me – they are all such wonderfully unique and interesting people :D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on July 28, 2009, 08:24 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Good interview.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 28, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

Oops, what happened with that previous comment? Anyway, reposting it, hopefully without strikethrough this time.

@jords, that’s very very well said! You took the words right off my keyboard. Dan is quite a bit like Harry in many ways, he’s very open-minded and sincere, humane, extremely intelligent, brave (again, how many other young stars would give such an interview) and loyal, just like Harry. Dumbledore’s man through and through. I could totally picture Harry giving an interview like that in a wizarding world version of Attitude. :)

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 28, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Dan always gives great interviews. His openness at answering the questions reveals that he is very self confident and sure of his answers or opinions. Great going Dan!

Posted by beewell on July 28, 2009, 09:06 AM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

dan is so funny!!

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on July 28, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

It was really a hearty interview.

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 28, 2009, 09:37 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

that was an amazing article…i really like the pictures too, he looks really adorable in them :]

The-moose_thumb

This is a great interview with great pics, too.

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 28, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Dan’s interviews are always so thoughtful. I would have been totally shocked if his attitude about gays had been the kind of whacked-out bigotry we see here in the US. He’s a very sensible guy.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on July 28, 2009, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I love Dan’s interviews – he speaks about real things. Like everyone here has said – he is very open-minded. I would also like to point out how very impressed I am with the Leaky readers who have commented here – you are all very open-minded and intelligent as well. Even the young person (I’m assuming) who wrote it must be weird to grow up around gay people. I don’t think it was a matter of judging, but probably of just being young and unaware. I also grew up around gay people (my sister-in-law was a professional ballet dancer and brought many of the dancers home for dinners, holidays, etc. – many of the male dancers happened to be gay). It was no different than having anyone else over – and that was about 30 years ago. Here in Massachusetts there was a bit of an uproar when gay marriage was legalized 5 years ago, but now, no one thinks about it. In fact, at this point, 5 of the 6 New England states all sanction gay marriage (come on Rhode Island, we’re waiting for you). I’m glad society is moving forward.

Posted by sueml on July 28, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Boys keep back!" barked Professor Grubbly-Plank, throwing out an arm and catching Harry hard in the chest. "They prefer a woman's touch, unicorns. Girls to the front, and approach with care, come on, easy does it..."