Nicholas Hooper on Scoring Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
July 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

Composer Nicholas Hooper has given another interview, this time to IFMagazine, where he speaks again about scoring the film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Mr. Hooper speaks on bringing in some of the cues from his music for Order of the Phoenix as well as working with the now iconic "Hedwig's Theme"  for HBP. Quotage:

Although a lot of things seem logical after the event, I tend to write instinctively, allowing things to develop in their own way. It would be easy to say that I meant to use such and such a theme in a "brilliant stroke of genius.” But in fact a lot of what works comes out of trying things out first, and then discussing them later. A bit like throwing paint at the wall one day and coming in to have a look at it the next to see what shape it makes. The use of the Possession theme from HP V (where Voldemort possesses Harry) came back as an idea when Voldemort is first mentioned by the name of Tom Riddle in Dumbledore's speech at the start of the new term. It seemed to work there and gradually worked its way into the movie following Dumbledore's own involvement with Voldemort. This along with a new theme created the DNA for the whole score. Placing John Williams' themes became obvious as we went along. The beginning of the film has to have at least a hint of Hedwig's Theme (look out for the end of it in the brass just before the Death Eaters attack London). Later in the film, Hedwig's theme gave a sense of being back in a POTTER movie, so it was used on the train to Hogwarts and Harry's arrival at the Weasley's home. I also enjoyed using a bit of William's Quidditch theme in the Quidditch match to point up Ron's amazing goal saving.

Readers will recall of course, as first noted here on July 14, then several days later, Mr. Hooper will not be returning to provide the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as legendary John Williams is indeed in talks to return to the series and create the music for the final Harry Potter films. Nicholas Hooper says again:

"I have made the decision not to do the next two HARRY POTTER films. I’ll be handing the baton on to another composer. It has been a roller coaster ride, and, I feel, an enormous privilege to have the opportunity to have scored such great films and such a fantastic story."

Thanks so much Alex, and to IFMagazine!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Dare-to-be-clever_thumb

Personally, I really really REALLY don’t want John Williams do return, even though tons of people like his music, I find he doesn’t do epic music very well, and unless I’m mistaken, Deathly Hallows is very much an epic book. I’d (as unlikely as it is) like for them to get Hans Zimmer to do them.

Posted by EnergizerBunny on July 25, 2009, 09:08 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_mug_thumb

I still think John Williams did the best job, though I’m glad that Nicholas Hooper was used twice instead of bouncing from composer to composer. I wish John Williams could have done them all though…

Posted by felicitas on July 25, 2009, 10:53 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

I really loved the score!! It fitted the film perfectly!! I am hoping to buy it soon! xD

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 26, 2009, 07:03 AM report to moderator

I hope they bring John Williams back in the sense that he pulls from the material he used in POA. That music was beautiful (and as a conservatory music major, I know). If they don’t bring him back, I hope they get someone like Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings) or James Horner (Titanic), but that they retain elements from the original thematic material and leit motif. Both of those composers wrote revolutionary music that was not only epic in scope but in mood/style.

Posted by fluteguy18 on July 26, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

glad to know his thoughts and feelings :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 27, 2009, 12:40 AM report to moderator
Profile_thumb

I was rather disappointed with both scores. I thought both were far too invisible for my liking. (I prefer heavy scores such as Lord of the Rings, or Goblet of Fire, even though GoF was my least favourite film overall). HBP was better, but then there were also times in HBP where there was silence when I expected music and vice versa.

Bring back Williams… or Howard Shore… or maybe Patrick Doyle if not. Either of the three I’ll be happy with.

Posted by David Wood on August 01, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator

"I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter.... After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things -- terrible, yes, but great."[br]Harry shivered. He wasn't sure he liked Mr. Ollivander too much.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014