Nicholas Hooper on Scoring Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
July 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

Composer Nicholas Hooper has given another interview, this time to IFMagazine, where he speaks again about scoring the film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Mr. Hooper speaks on bringing in some of the cues from his music for Order of the Phoenix as well as working with the now iconic "Hedwig's Theme"  for HBP. Quotage:

Although a lot of things seem logical after the event, I tend to write instinctively, allowing things to develop in their own way. It would be easy to say that I meant to use such and such a theme in a "brilliant stroke of genius.” But in fact a lot of what works comes out of trying things out first, and then discussing them later. A bit like throwing paint at the wall one day and coming in to have a look at it the next to see what shape it makes. The use of the Possession theme from HP V (where Voldemort possesses Harry) came back as an idea when Voldemort is first mentioned by the name of Tom Riddle in Dumbledore's speech at the start of the new term. It seemed to work there and gradually worked its way into the movie following Dumbledore's own involvement with Voldemort. This along with a new theme created the DNA for the whole score. Placing John Williams' themes became obvious as we went along. The beginning of the film has to have at least a hint of Hedwig's Theme (look out for the end of it in the brass just before the Death Eaters attack London). Later in the film, Hedwig's theme gave a sense of being back in a POTTER movie, so it was used on the train to Hogwarts and Harry's arrival at the Weasley's home. I also enjoyed using a bit of William's Quidditch theme in the Quidditch match to point up Ron's amazing goal saving.

Readers will recall of course, as first noted here on July 14, then several days later, Mr. Hooper will not be returning to provide the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as legendary John Williams is indeed in talks to return to the series and create the music for the final Harry Potter films. Nicholas Hooper says again:

"I have made the decision not to do the next two HARRY POTTER films. I’ll be handing the baton on to another composer. It has been a roller coaster ride, and, I feel, an enormous privilege to have the opportunity to have scored such great films and such a fantastic story."

Thanks so much Alex, and to IFMagazine!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Ronhermione_thumb

i really liked the score :). shame he isnt cuming back tho.
xx

Ronhermione_thumb

i really liked the score :). shame he isnt cuming back tho.
xx

The-moose_thumb

That’s just so cool … I thought it was only a rumor about John Williams coming back to score DH, like I knew Nicholas Hooper was going but, I didnt know there was more to it than that. How cool that John Williams is in talks to return to the HP movies … I sure hope that he does :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 24, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I think he did a great job to capture both movies with his music! I especially love the HBP soundtrack with all it’s themes like the Death Eaters Theme and Dumbledore’s Theme. I also think that the HBP soundtrack is better then OoTP even though they are both great! I’m kinda sad to see him go…..

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 24, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
0606091731_1__thumb

He did a really good job, like everyone else is saying…. >.>

Posted by Jesse~{ROAR}~ on July 24, 2009, 12:44 PM report to moderator
Blue-moon_thumb

I wish he come back. In this whole series the possession scene in OOTP is the only scene that got me teary bc the music wrench my heart. I really love his score especially in the cave scene in HBP. it’s so epic.

Posted by shellscotie on July 24, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

He did a very good job…

Posted by Won_Two on July 24, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator

I liked the score on HBP, but I will be excited if John Williams returns.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 24, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

I really enjoyed Hooper’s scores.
If Williams is back for Deathly Hallows though, I would be pleased.

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 24, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I didn’t mind the music for HBP but I thought it could have been better I was most looking forward to The Phoenix Lament (in a werid way!) but it was quite dissapointing.

But he was never awful and I was never really, really concious of the music which is the way it’s meant to be. However, really I want John Williams’ back for the last two films. His music was great especially the momentous Hedwig’s Theme I mean you have to have that if Hedwig dies right? :’( sob sob

HERE, HERE FOR BRINGING BACK JOHN WILLIAMS!

Img_e015_thumb

I was glad about this. I didn’t like his style at all but I have to say that I do like the OOTP soundtrack but HBP was not impressive! it could have been better. The orchestration is weak and boring at times. Is not a cd that I would listen to because is not interesting to me.

Posted by laura399 {WBM} on July 24, 2009, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

williams is better

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 24, 2009, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Hooper, Hooper, Hooper… that is NOT a Quidditch theme. It’s just the Double Trouble theme reworked, and therefore it’s completely inappropriate for this film.

Posted by starlesswinter on July 24, 2009, 04:02 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

the scor was fantastic, I really wish he was coming back :( I thought that it was one of the best scores ever on an HP film, he could’ve done alot with DH

Posted by DesQueJteVois on July 24, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Weaslyking_thumb

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! :) Hooper… you went out with style. Kudos to you, my man. I’m so pumped about the opportunity to have John Williams coming back for the next 2 films! I think his best work is when he tries to write “dark” themes :) He’s great at “light” stuff (aka HP 1 and 2) but you look at his work in films like Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha :) and it’s simply amazing. Do it john!

Posted by drhawks on July 24, 2009, 05:53 PM report to moderator

"You couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you, Hermione?" said Ron angrily as the kitchen door slammed shut behind them. "They won't want us visiting them now! We could've tried to get more stuff out of Winky about Crouch!"[br]"Oh as if you care about tha

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014