David Yates Talks Burrow Scene, Deathly Hallows Film, and Life after Harry Potter

Yates Interviews
July 24, 2009, 09:09 AM

Director David Yates has given a new interview to Vanity Fair, where he discusses again the decision to add the attack on the Burrow scene to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as weigh in with some thoughts on the look of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two and his career plans after the series has concluded. Notable quotes are as follows:

Can you give me an example of a particularly difficult choice you had to make in this last film? "One of the things we did was we added a sequence in the middle of the movie—the sequence in the reeds when death eaters try and attack Harry—and that sequence never existed in the book. In one sense it seems mad to add something to Jo’s [read: J.K. Rowling’s] world and Jo’s book. It’s already full of pretty rich, fantastic stuff—why on earth would you add anything? But in the sort of two-and-a-half hour structure of a screenplay there was a lack of a sense of jeopardy from the outside. We were in all these romantic entanglements and I needed to audience to be reminded of what the threat was from the outside world. Jo talks about those things in the background in the book but halfway through our book we needed our audience in the theater to be aware of them and to experience them. So we added a sequence that didn’t existed in the book but was there, I guess, in spirit because it was happening beyond Hogwarts."

Did you run it by J.K. Rowling? I’m sorry: by “Jo”? "Yeah, Jo was totally cool about it. She recognized the challenge of it and the need for it."

On Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: "It’s just edgier. It’s a little rawer. It’s more contemporary. It feels more modern. Shooting in the way we’ve been shooting, doing a lot of hand-held camera work, all that stuff, I’ve never got a call from the studio. They just phone up or email and say we love the dailies even though I am doing things that feel very not Harry Potter. So I feel I have a freedom and the elbowroom to do what I feel the story requires.

So you’re hearkening back to your gritty days of State of Play? "Yeah, indeed. In Harry Potter Seven, part One, very much so. But, of course, Hallows part Two brings that fantasy world back in full cinemascope. It’s full of dragons, and big wizard battles, and magic. To keep the thing interesting for me as a filmmaker, I want to serve the wonderful stories Jo has given us but I need to move it around a bit. I can’t feel that I am making the same film. Tonally, I need to shake it up a bit. Like Half-Blood Prince had a lot more humor in it than Order of the Phoenix and that was important for me, and I think it was important for the audience to not get the same journey. And Hallows part One will feel very different than Half-Blood Prince."

What’s the first thing you are going to do next? "I’ve got a couple of things. I want to do a war picture. I’m developing a war picture called Saint Nazaire that’s about a reckless commander raid in the Second World War. I want to make a movie version of the TV thing I did called Sex Traffic, about trafficking. There’s a whole pile of stuff coming out. I am reading stuff all the time."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates Interviews News

The excuse to put the Burrow “fight” (if you can call it that) in the movie does not work if you get rid of the end battle scene. It would make more sense if you added it and then followed up with the actual fight scene from the book to truly give the feeling of the darkness and Voldemort’s return for book 7. I can understand his reasoning for a film and it makes sense on paper but I don’t feel that the scene he included gave any more feeling of the darkness outside of Hogwarts than if it hadn’t been there. And there would have been other ways to follow up on that, say for example having comments randomly by students about family wanting them to go home or being captured,etc etc.

I still feel it was a poor choice but that is jut my opinion.

Posted by kalina on July 24, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator

if they needed action they should have kept the final battle scene on the tower, sheesh
whatevs, it was fun to watch anyways :)

Posted by g-g-gena; wbm! on July 24, 2009, 08:20 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

I liked the burrow scene…but i want to know how they are going too have a wedding there if it’s been burnt to the ground?

Also, I dislike that sentence it feels not very Harry Potter…why david yates why!

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 24, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

I was bumfuzzled about the Burrows scene. Now, I know the thinking. I still disagree with it. If you want threatening, why not some of the Pensieve scenes with Riddle?

Posted by LulaL on July 24, 2009, 09:01 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

At last why they add the Burrow scene.

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 24, 2009, 09:17 PM report to moderator
Msn-shaun_thumb

Im surprised the question keeps coming up of why no battle at the end of HBP. it was clearly stated some time ago by either Yates or Heyman or both…that since they were going to invest so much time and effort into the ending battle scene in DH (and Heyman said they are looking at around 20 to 30 minutes) that it made no sense to go overboard and create a “lesser” battle of Hogwarts for HBP. That is why they changed the ending. We all know the DH movies are gonna kick butt. enough said.

Posted by johnzonh on July 24, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Msn-shaun_thumb

I do believe that David Yates wanted a much quieter ending for HBP for good reason. When I was in the theater…you could hear a pin drop when Dumbledore was killed. it was such an emotional ending that you could hear people even sniffing a bit. Sure..you could have a battle scene and all that…but with this kind of ending..you are setting up for the STORM to come. Get ready folks….

Posted by johnzonh on July 24, 2009, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

So excited for Deathly Hallows…..but I still hope time doesn’t fly too much. Because once we get part 2, there’s nothing left! :S

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 24, 2009, 10:54 PM report to moderator
Green_thumb

i understand why they put it in there, but i still wish they used the spot for something more important. I feel like they’ll have to cram all the little details into the 7th when some could have been in the 6th.

Posted by LoonyBeanie99 on July 24, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator

So many things to chose and he chose to destroy a place that has significance in the last book. The comment from one stated that the fight scene at the end would have taken from the death scene of Dumbledore.
Really it would have shown the determination of Harry and obstacles he has to get to his hated enemy at the TIME greasy head snape. He is yet to be a hero to me because he yet loved and coveted like Voldermort things that weren’t his.
I haven’t seen the movie yet but with reviews like this it all add to the disappointment of director’s cut meaning It also means that maybe I will wait until the dvd comes out since sitting for this old man is hard at times. I really don’t want to go home with a bad taste in my mouth for the 6th time.
Adding characters scenes and takig away what is necessary to devoted fans and readers of the books. We do outnumber the non reading fans by a huge margin.
In my house alone we have 12 people and 10 who have read the books three who read thorugh all the time.
Sorry for the length haven’t been on for along time and had a lot built up.
I too have saw LOTR series at least three times in the movie and God knows how many times at home looking at them as well as HP dvd’s repeatedly as I read the books. HP dvd’s disappoinment LOTR dvd’s satisfaction.
Star WARs satisfaction Chronicles of Narnia disappointment.
MAtrix Ok length means nothing when the movie is good and HPO movies are good only to those who have not read the books.

Posted by jerseypopopx6 on July 24, 2009, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

I agree with you on the battles. I like the choice they did for showing of the dangers outside of Hogwarts, it also showed the love relationship between Harry and Ginny.

Posted by jediofthelost on July 25, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

It is nice to know why, but It doesn’t change the fact that it could have been handled better…

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 25, 2009, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

I understand why that scene was added but I can’t get past the fact that they never explained where the Weasley’s are going to live now. Did the house survive at all? Or are they all stuffed into the twins’ flat?

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 25, 2009, 01:39 AM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Really, if they needed more action, they could have just put the Astronomy Battle scene…

Oh well, what’s done is done. I just hope they can make DH1&2 true to the book.

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 25, 2009, 02:51 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I hope it isn’t too different from the books. I don’t want to be to “un-Harry Potter.” I didn’t like some of the parts added in HBP. I hope they stay truer to the book in DH. :/

Marauder's Map: [i]"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."[/i]