David Yates Talks Burrow Scene, Deathly Hallows Film, and Life after Harry Potter

Yates Interviews
July 24, 2009, 09:09 AM

Director David Yates has given a new interview to Vanity Fair, where he discusses again the decision to add the attack on the Burrow scene to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as weigh in with some thoughts on the look of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two and his career plans after the series has concluded. Notable quotes are as follows:

Can you give me an example of a particularly difficult choice you had to make in this last film? "One of the things we did was we added a sequence in the middle of the movie—the sequence in the reeds when death eaters try and attack Harry—and that sequence never existed in the book. In one sense it seems mad to add something to Jo’s [read: J.K. Rowling’s] world and Jo’s book. It’s already full of pretty rich, fantastic stuff—why on earth would you add anything? But in the sort of two-and-a-half hour structure of a screenplay there was a lack of a sense of jeopardy from the outside. We were in all these romantic entanglements and I needed to audience to be reminded of what the threat was from the outside world. Jo talks about those things in the background in the book but halfway through our book we needed our audience in the theater to be aware of them and to experience them. So we added a sequence that didn’t existed in the book but was there, I guess, in spirit because it was happening beyond Hogwarts."

Did you run it by J.K. Rowling? I’m sorry: by “Jo”? "Yeah, Jo was totally cool about it. She recognized the challenge of it and the need for it."

On Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: "It’s just edgier. It’s a little rawer. It’s more contemporary. It feels more modern. Shooting in the way we’ve been shooting, doing a lot of hand-held camera work, all that stuff, I’ve never got a call from the studio. They just phone up or email and say we love the dailies even though I am doing things that feel very not Harry Potter. So I feel I have a freedom and the elbowroom to do what I feel the story requires.

So you’re hearkening back to your gritty days of State of Play? "Yeah, indeed. In Harry Potter Seven, part One, very much so. But, of course, Hallows part Two brings that fantasy world back in full cinemascope. It’s full of dragons, and big wizard battles, and magic. To keep the thing interesting for me as a filmmaker, I want to serve the wonderful stories Jo has given us but I need to move it around a bit. I can’t feel that I am making the same film. Tonally, I need to shake it up a bit. Like Half-Blood Prince had a lot more humor in it than Order of the Phoenix and that was important for me, and I think it was important for the audience to not get the same journey. And Hallows part One will feel very different than Half-Blood Prince."

What’s the first thing you are going to do next? "I’ve got a couple of things. I want to do a war picture. I’m developing a war picture called Saint Nazaire that’s about a reckless commander raid in the Second World War. I want to make a movie version of the TV thing I did called Sex Traffic, about trafficking. There’s a whole pile of stuff coming out. I am reading stuff all the time."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates Interviews News

Twitter_version_thumb

I’m a purist!

Posted by sianletley on July 24, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Twitter_version_thumb

I’m a purist!

Posted by sianletley on July 24, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

All of this makes me wonder, also, how the “special edition” videos will work. Will they iron out some of the inconsistencies by incorporating snipped footage? Just wondering….

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on July 24, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Poesy_-_copie_thumb

I still think that they could’ve make “the audience in the theater to be aware of them and to experience them” in another way than adding an entire new scene… =/

Posted by Hepburn on July 24, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Harrycloseup_thumb

Guys chill out! Look, the movie was great…If you want details, just go ahead and read the books!

Posted by HarryLoony on July 24, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I understand his reasoning for putting the Burrow scene it there but now I wonder how that is going to affect the rest of the plot in DH since the wedding is there. I don’t want it to be that all of a sudden the Burrow is back just because of ‘magic’… that would seem too corny.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 24, 2009, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

So… Is he saying that Gringotts is in Part Two?! That’s good. Then it’ll lead right into Harry, Ron and Hermione going to Hogwarts. Hmm. I just want to know where the split is!! :D

Posted by Christine on July 24, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I liked the movie overall, but there were a few poorly done parts. Hermione had something on her lip 3 times? Someone should tell Yates that a joke isn’t funny when you do it over and over. There was too much “love” in the air and not enough story. I think that Yates underestimates the intelligence level of his audience and tends to cater towards younger or less intelligent viewers.

Posted by Liderc on July 24, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
0606091731_1__thumb

Im going to have to agree with the first comment.
I still loved the movie though..

Posted by Jesse~{ROAR}~ on July 24, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

In all honesty altho’ it does violate canon the Burrow scene does pick up the pace and tension…

Posted by Won_Two on July 24, 2009, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Poesy_-_copie_thumb

I said I didn’t think the burrow scene was necesary but it doesn’t mean I didn’t like the movie! I loved it on the contrary!

Posted by Hepburn on July 24, 2009, 01:04 PM report to moderator

I still disagree with the Burrow scene. If they wanted more threat, they shouldn’t have had the Death Eaters simply walk out of the castle; the battle scene should have been included. I’m excited to see how the DH movies turn out.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 24, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

I understand the addition of the scene at the Burrow, cinematically hearing Harry, Ron, and Hermione talking about the going-ons outside of Hogwarts just wouldn’t have been as appealing to non-fans.

Deathly Hallows shooting sounds interesting as well. I would say “I can’t wait” to see it…but I want to hold on as loooonnnnggg as possible [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 24, 2009, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I understand the need for the scene and the necessity of having some more action in a basically talky film. They needed something halfway through to remind us of the danger, BUT I don’t believe if Bella would have had Harry in that situation, she would have hesistated dispatching him for one second. Also I couldn’t believe that everyone just stood there and watched the house burn. Are they witches and wizards or what!

Posted by Rhiannon on July 24, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

I can understand why they took out the parts they did and those that were addes and its all said and done, but for the DH movies, you have two films so there should be minimal cutting out of the book. The wedding and battle especially.

Posted by Connor on July 24, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator