David Yates Talks Burrow Scene, Deathly Hallows Film, and Life after Harry Potter

Yates Interviews
July 24, 2009, 09:09 AM

Director David Yates has given a new interview to Vanity Fair, where he discusses again the decision to add the attack on the Burrow scene to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as weigh in with some thoughts on the look of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two and his career plans after the series has concluded. Notable quotes are as follows:

Can you give me an example of a particularly difficult choice you had to make in this last film? "One of the things we did was we added a sequence in the middle of the movie—the sequence in the reeds when death eaters try and attack Harry—and that sequence never existed in the book. In one sense it seems mad to add something to Jo’s [read: J.K. Rowling’s] world and Jo’s book. It’s already full of pretty rich, fantastic stuff—why on earth would you add anything? But in the sort of two-and-a-half hour structure of a screenplay there was a lack of a sense of jeopardy from the outside. We were in all these romantic entanglements and I needed to audience to be reminded of what the threat was from the outside world. Jo talks about those things in the background in the book but halfway through our book we needed our audience in the theater to be aware of them and to experience them. So we added a sequence that didn’t existed in the book but was there, I guess, in spirit because it was happening beyond Hogwarts."

Did you run it by J.K. Rowling? I’m sorry: by “Jo”? "Yeah, Jo was totally cool about it. She recognized the challenge of it and the need for it."

On Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: "It’s just edgier. It’s a little rawer. It’s more contemporary. It feels more modern. Shooting in the way we’ve been shooting, doing a lot of hand-held camera work, all that stuff, I’ve never got a call from the studio. They just phone up or email and say we love the dailies even though I am doing things that feel very not Harry Potter. So I feel I have a freedom and the elbowroom to do what I feel the story requires.

So you’re hearkening back to your gritty days of State of Play? "Yeah, indeed. In Harry Potter Seven, part One, very much so. But, of course, Hallows part Two brings that fantasy world back in full cinemascope. It’s full of dragons, and big wizard battles, and magic. To keep the thing interesting for me as a filmmaker, I want to serve the wonderful stories Jo has given us but I need to move it around a bit. I can’t feel that I am making the same film. Tonally, I need to shake it up a bit. Like Half-Blood Prince had a lot more humor in it than Order of the Phoenix and that was important for me, and I think it was important for the audience to not get the same journey. And Hallows part One will feel very different than Half-Blood Prince."

What’s the first thing you are going to do next? "I’ve got a couple of things. I want to do a war picture. I’m developing a war picture called Saint Nazaire that’s about a reckless commander raid in the Second World War. I want to make a movie version of the TV thing I did called Sex Traffic, about trafficking. There’s a whole pile of stuff coming out. I am reading stuff all the time."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates Interviews News

250px-youre-a-wizard

I wish the Battles scenes isn’t just 3 to 5 minutes in the films like what you did on the Battle at the Department of Mysteries, The deletion of the Battle at the Astronomy Tower is really a big dissapointment to me…

Posted by EnricoDc on July 24, 2009, 09:19 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12001 Points

I just hope the plot holes get taken care of.

Posted by budgie on July 24, 2009, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Db334_voldemort_thumb

ya they took out the whole battle after dumbledoor died. if they needed action shey should have included that instead of adding a whole new scene

Posted by swimman22 on July 24, 2009, 09:36 AM report to moderator

I agrree

Posted by BMcFly1 on July 24, 2009, 09:38 AM report to moderator
Funny-pictures-you-must-answer-riddles-to-pee_thumb

While I agree that the battle at the end of HBP should have been included, I can see why a filmmaker would need to have added the Burrow scene in the middle, or at least something like it. Film making is a huge game of balance.

Posted by Jessi on July 24, 2009, 09:41 AM report to moderator
Before_qudditch_thumb

totally agree

Posted by TasyaWeasley on July 24, 2009, 09:43 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

HBP was the best yet,so I’m really hoping for DH to be even better! ha! dragon in DH PART 2! hm…Silver doe or Malfoy manor!?

Posted by Matea on July 24, 2009, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I wonder if they have filmed any of the Hogwarts scenes. Felton said they were at Hogwarts shooting.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on July 24, 2009, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I hope the Battle of Hogwarts is going to be huge and long!!! Hope they have the Acromantula, House-elves, centaurs, and giants join the battle to make it true to the book. I hope they keep the part where Hagrid throws Macnair across the room. I read that if Jamie Waylett cant return as Crabbe theyll replace him with Blaise Zabini and kill Goyle off. I dont remember where I read it and I dont even know if its true.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 24, 2009, 09:48 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

hmmmm, i guess that makes sense about the burrow, that was one of my issues with the movie lol. i like yates but he still hasn’t answered why they decided to take away the fighting at the end of the movie…

Lunagreen_thumb

I guess I can accept his explanation for destroying the Burrow if Jo can…it was a cool looking scene, but seemed pointless to me other than showing the threat which they could have done other ways like by having the PM scene, mentioning Anita Bones, and oh, including the Battle, but I’m just sayin’….
Do wish he could explain where the wedding is going to be in DH

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on July 24, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator
Poa106_thumb

@EnricoDc, @swimman22, @Jessi While totally agreeing with u three I would like to mention that burrow scene was shot very well, cave & ‘escape of Snap’ as well.

Posted by AHPfan on July 24, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Ari_with_roses_thumb

he HAS been making a war picture

Posted by Amy Darlene on July 24, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Poa106_thumb

I would like to add that how magic world was shown so safe, "scene in cafe’ ‘Dumbledore leaving harry so away from Burrow’ ‘no safety measures at Burrow’ ‘Trio visiting Diagon Alley’ etc..

Posted by AHPfan on July 24, 2009, 10:05 AM report to moderator

It’s nice to know why they put that in there.

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 24, 2009, 10:07 AM report to moderator

"Everyone gather 'round," said Snape, his black eyes glittering, "and watch what happens to Longbottom's toad. If he has managed to produce a Shrinking Solution, it will shrink to a tadpole. If, as I don't doubt, he has done it wrong, his toad is likely t

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014