Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson Comment on Piracy of Harry Potter Films

Movies
July 23, 2009, 10:00 AM

As a follow to our post yesterday on the piracy of Harry Potter films, such as the recent Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, CNN has a new video online where actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry) and Emma Watson (Hermione) express their dismay over the piracy and illegal downloading and file sharing of their Harry Potter films. Potter producer David Heyman also comments on the rampant piracy taking place with many films, noting that it not only hurts sales but also affects budgets for future films and more.

Thanks to Katie and CNN!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Daniel_and_lorenzo_-_holding_the_equus_broadway_bear__thumb

There’s two lines of thought I don’t understand. The first is something like, “I paid to see it three times already and will buy the DVD so why can’t I DL it and watch it two more times?” Well, if I buy six packs of gum, then is it okay for me to steal the seventh pack because …well, I already bought six? No, it’s not.

The other is “I don’t feel sorry for those fat cat WB executives who make millions so it’s okay to pirate the movie?” Isn’t that the same thing as saying, "Well, if I go to a WB executive’s house and steal one of his/her TVs, that makes it okay since they are millionaires? No, it doesn’t.

Posted by mariapotter on July 23, 2009, 11:10 PM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

I don’t really understand why people even bother with pirated movies— the quality is so shoddy, how can you enjoy it? Movies aren’t really THAT expensive, people. Jeez.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 24, 2009, 01:27 AM report to moderator
15ppnr5_thumb

nice chest hair dan! lol

Posted by KimmyZ on July 24, 2009, 02:31 AM report to moderator

It’s because of these kind of people that ruin all the great things in life for us people who obey the rules.

Posted by dakota1084 on July 24, 2009, 03:06 AM report to moderator

i’m going to quote Joe Abercrombie, bacause he saisd it better than i did.

""" My own feeling about e-piracy and so forth is that it’s virtually impossible to put a stop to – the more popular you are the more torrents will endlessly spring up, and most of them in places where folks don’t respond to a polite email. The only effective way to combat it is to provide people with a higher quality service than pirates do, more easily available and at a price that seems reasonable. Then I think most will be happy to pay. """

And hurting sales ? We had to go at a leter showing becasue the one we had originally planned was full… What a mess !

And speaking of that, i had a “yruk” when seeing the price. Was 9 euros, went to 10.20. What the hell ? 9 is already expensive…
Same for dvd , they are overpriced here. Mainly becasue of taxes….

Posted by EowynCarter on July 25, 2009, 04:22 AM report to moderator

It’s so funny, the comments here differ from those on Mugglenet like day and night. I’ll have to agree with the people on Mugglenet though. In the first place, they are really preaching to the choir here, the people who watch this video already give out like fifty dollars every time a film comes out. I can’t believe they have the guts to send us this, after WB (one of the biggest companies in the world I might add) postponed the film for 6 months just to make more money.
They could make proffits on this movie if they brought out the dvd for 5 dollars, because it really doesn’t cost that much to make them. Instead they make you pay 25 dollars for it, because.. well, we’ll buy it anyway, won’t we? Now I’m going to buy it legal, because I’m just retarded apparently, but I think The Trio should remember that we’re not all millionairs like them.

Posted by Redbeard on July 25, 2009, 06:13 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I’m 100% behind this. I don’t understand why people feel the need to STEAL movies like this. The same goes for music. There are hundreds of people working so hard to make these films and produce this music and pirates steal it. It’s NOT fair and it’s NOT right! I’m not going to act like I’m a saint…I’ve definitely downloaded my fair share of songs, but when it comes to movies I ALWAYS pay money to see it in the theater and I ALWAYS buy the real dvds. It’s completely dumb to waste your time on something that’s not even the finished product. I just don’t understand it.

Posted by cghambright on July 25, 2009, 08:38 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

And to people saying that this is DUMB because they’ve already spent like 50 dollars watching the movie…that still doesn’t make it right! And everyone KNOWS that the people who buy those pirated dvds are not just people who have already watched the movie in theaters.

Buying pirated dvds instead of the real thing just decreases the budget on future films and if the budget is decreased then they can’t afford to do as good of a job on the movies and that’s what HP fans are ALWAYS complaining about…the movies are good enough! Well if they don’t have the money then the films are DEFINITELY going to suck! I don’t care how long they delayed the movie…it’s still NOT right.

Posted by cghambright on July 25, 2009, 08:41 AM report to moderator
Image14_thumb

cghambright, the Harry Potter films probably have the largest budgets WB have ever allowed… They’re not hurt by filesharing.

When it comes to the people working on the films, THEY’VE ALREADY BEEN PAID, royalties are not paid out to every person working on a film.

And lastly, no one buys pirated dvd, because they’re freely available on the internet.

Posted by xhandler on July 25, 2009, 10:30 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

I always buy my music and films. I just think it is wrong to not pay… It’s a sham really!!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 26, 2009, 07:16 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

it’s sad that they have to speak out against the pirating of dvds, it just proves that too many people do it and that’s sad too

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 27, 2009, 12:05 AM report to moderator

C’mon guys, the movie industry is motivated by one thing: money. Its these people who stopped us seeing Half-Blood Prince last year so they could maintain their income stream. The Dark Knight film made over a billion dollars. The British Film industry has just had its most successful year. Do you really think there is a problem? Hollywood is like a rabbbit caught in the headlights when it comes to piracy because they have failed to come up with a business model which harnesses the distribution power of P2P networking. As a result they have adopted a siege mentality, condemning the pirates and forming bodies like the RIAA to into hunt them down. The result is the recent case in the US where a low-income mother-of-four was fined over a million dollars and threatened with jail. Is criminalising people like this how we want the proceeds from our DVD purchases and taxes spent?

With the Pirate Bay recently selling for over $7m, hopefully their new owners, together with the recently elected Pirate Party MEP, can work with the movie industry to get a better, FAIRER deal for all of us.

Posted by hereward on July 27, 2009, 02:45 AM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

yeah you would think real fans of harry potter would want to wait for the release and spend more money towards the hp industry to really show their support for it

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 27, 2009, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 27, 2009, 01:43 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry Potter set Dobby free!"[br]"Least I could do, Dobby," said Harry, grinning. "Just promise never to try and save my life again."[br]The elf's ugly brown face split suddenly into a wide, toothy smile.