Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson Comment on Piracy of Harry Potter Films

Movies
July 23, 2009, 10:00 AM

As a follow to our post yesterday on the piracy of Harry Potter films, such as the recent Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, CNN has a new video online where actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry) and Emma Watson (Hermione) express their dismay over the piracy and illegal downloading and file sharing of their Harry Potter films. Potter producer David Heyman also comments on the rampant piracy taking place with many films, noting that it not only hurts sales but also affects budgets for future films and more.

Thanks to Katie and CNN!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Kit_thumb

I’m shocked that some people can justify their thievery by positing that it’s okay to steal from the wealthy. IMHO, it’s wrong to steal from ANYBODY! But think of all the people that WB pays to work on the film, like costumers, set builders, camera people, special effects people, etc.;it must run to the thousands and pirates steal from those workers as well.

Posted by Fereverto on July 23, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Dsc02716_thumb

Why bother with downloading badly copied and pixelated films, when you can watch it on a large screen when you can see the effects clearly- and a better experience! I just dont get it why people want to download!

Posted by fireboltfire on July 23, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Interim_new_zealand8_monoscale_thumb

LOL. What is this rubbish? Filesharing is the future. I’m not trying to be a troll here, but it is inevitable. Why would a sane person buy music or video when they can get it for free? Is it reasonable to sham people for acting on rationality, economics? It is no longer a moral card, and the entertainment industry knows it. They’ve been planning to operate on a different business model ever since Napster was born, and now they are just being sour. Getting celebrities to be better “role models”, saying “you’re stealing wah wah wah”. The music industry has slowly embraced this, many companies gear their sales through concert shows and merchandise, and offer their music for free online, or nearly free. And to be honest, personally I would hate for WB to “succeed” and make as much money as possible. Their films are commercialized, and they’ve lost the Harry Potter magic. But that’s just me.

Posted by burningpumpkins on July 23, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

The whole thing makes me so mad — piracy is stealing! It’s selfish and rude and just wrong. stamps foot

Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

I’m not agree with Piracy either!!!

1956p_thumb

IT’S DOWNRIGHT THEFT! PERIOD!

Posted by cleber*ROAR!* on July 23, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator

My (abriged) opinion of the matter: downloading something for free is not neccessarily stealing. Buying a DVD that contains a movie that was filmed off of a screen in a theatre, well, that is piracy and something that I don´t really support. But if there are no “legal” ways to get t a movie or a TV show, what do I do? If there is a Special in a certain country which is never released on DVD? How do I get that? In Germany, everything is dubbed. But I do want to hear the original. But no theatre has the film, what do I do? Wait for the DVD? Fly to London? I´ve seen HBP twice now and want to see it again – and my local theatre will have it in September! How many times do I need to see it in a theatre, before I can download it for free? Or what if a person lives in a country where certain films aren´t released, because the government or some religion has it censored? There might be situations, were downloading becomes the only option …

Posted by Fonty on July 23, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb_thumb

I would be ashamed to own any movie that was not bought in a store. Just think when people come over or ask to borrow a movie they will see that. Why would anyone do this to J.K. Rowling, and to WB and especially to all the actors who work so hard on these films.

Posted by Roseann on July 23, 2009, 08:30 PM report to moderator
Palpatine_thumb

I don’t even know why people would pirate or download new release movies. It’s always a terrible time-stamped workprint or a version recorded by a cheap camcorder in the theatre.

If studios really want to combat piracy: start offering digital distribution (via iTunes, digital copy discs, etc.) at a reasonable price instead of more rhetoric.

Posted by Megaframe on July 23, 2009, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Tori_thumb

WOW!!!!! dont STEAL its just gonna get back to you

Posted by ToriWeasley on July 23, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator

Everyone who buys illegal copies of Harry Potter movies is a jerk in my book

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 23, 2009, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

Some movies are best on the big screen for at least the first viewing. later viewings with Legal DVD copies are better quality, and contain the extras bootlegs don’t. I prefer the real deal.

Posted by biiigbob on July 23, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Azkabanhires8_thumb

its too bad people are so impatiant

Posted by BOOK7FAN18(ROAR) on July 23, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

i am sorry about those who bought the pirated movies but shame on them.

Posted by jediofthelost on July 23, 2009, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_june08_001_thumb

At least the actors commented on what happened.

Posted by jediofthelost on July 23, 2009, 10:52 PM report to moderator

Hagrid had sent a furry brown wallet that had fangs, which were presumably supposed to be an antitheft device, but unfortunately prevented Harry putting any money in without getting his fingers ripped off.