Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson Comment on Piracy of Harry Potter Films

Movies
July 23, 2009, 10:00 AM

As a follow to our post yesterday on the piracy of Harry Potter films, such as the recent Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, CNN has a new video online where actors Dan Radcliffe (Harry) and Emma Watson (Hermione) express their dismay over the piracy and illegal downloading and file sharing of their Harry Potter films. Potter producer David Heyman also comments on the rampant piracy taking place with many films, noting that it not only hurts sales but also affects budgets for future films and more.

Thanks to Katie and CNN!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Db334_voldemort_thumb

go pirating in china town, cheep way to get movies

Posted by swimman22 on July 23, 2009, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

did you hear that piratebay is being sold to a pvt company that is going to make it legal? how in gods name do you make piratebay legal?

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 23, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Yeah piracy is just wrong! DvD’s are the best anyway!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 23, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator

It’s just wrong to pirate DVDs, and the same with music. I know people who “never pay for music,” but that’s just wrong.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 23, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

..and for the same reasons I wouldn’t buy a pirated DVD, I also don’t steal cable. Our neighbor offered it to us, and I said “no way.” Not living with that guilty conscience!

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on July 23, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
0606091731_1__thumb

Only pathetic people buy pirated videos, they would rather sit at home and do nothing then actually get a job. Its just pathetic..

Posted by Jesse~{ROAR}~ on July 23, 2009, 02:02 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Shame shame!!

Posted by Won_Two on July 23, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I wouldn’t buy pirated movies, but not because they’re illegal. I just can’t get worked up about the illegalities. I suppose I should feel at least a little shame, but I don’t. I don’t buy the things because they’re junk. I’ve seen pirated movies before and the quality is so bad, trying to watch them is a joke – a bad joke. If you can manage to see much of anything over the heads of people in the audience, then more power to you.

But I confess it’s impossible for me to feel sad for WB because some sleazy characters are cutting into their already immense profits. I also know that piracy means more $$ comes out of my pocket when I buy movie tickets. Despite that, I just can’t shed any tears over this. Yeah, I know it’s stupid, but that’s where it is for me.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on July 23, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Barbnotl_thumb

So who noticed the scene being filmed while David Heyman was talking — that was DEFINITELY the non-existent battle scene being filmed … and that’s definitely Tonks and Lupin in front of Hagrid’s — why didn’t the scene make it into the film????

Posted by Barb Powell on July 23, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I agree with ya’ll… pirated movies are always of poor quality so why waste the time to watch them?! It’s just stupid! If anyone bought or even watched one of these Harry Potter pirated films, than they are not true fans at all!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 23, 2009, 02:17 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Oh and I love Dan’s reaction…. “Don’t Pirate the film, you cheapos!” LOL

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 23, 2009, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Piraters SUCK!! This type of thing really pisses me off.

Posted by cghambright on July 23, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I always wait for the DVDs and soundtracks etc. I hate piracy. :(

Violets2_thumb

Question: In between now and HBP’s official DVD, would you deride someone for using screencaps from a pirated version of the movie in order to make something like icons of scenes not featured in officially released scenes? Like, the bit at Aragog’s funeral, say. If you saw an icon or image featuring Harry’s… cough contribution to the discussion of why acromantulas are feared, would you look at said graphic in disgust, or would you want to use that icon forever and ever because of its awesomeness?

I’m asking honestly here; I’ve never seen people get upset about icons and graphics being made from pirated versions of the films. We wouldn’t have them without the piracy, but I don’t see a lot of outrage about it. Is it something that no one thinks about, or is it a willful suspension of anger because it’s something we enjoy?

Posted by starryviolet on July 23, 2009, 02:24 PM report to moderator

There was a girl in the midnight showing I went to with a lap top sitting a few rows from the screen. I did not think much of it at the time since people were bring in things like board games and portable movie players etc.. (some people were lined up for over 6 hours) but I guess the girl with the laptop could have easily been recording the film. I don’t remember if I saw the computer opened once the film started but I was not really paying attention to her.
My local theater will pretty much let you bring anything you want into the theater they don’t really care and they are a huge US chain. A group of people even ordered some pizzas and they let them take the pizza to their seats.
Really this has been a problem for so long. People are going to get camcorders and other recoding devices in if the theaters are so laxed. They managed back when camcorders and other recoding devices were huge and harder to conceal. Now that thins are so small I think it just gets easier and easier for those trying to steal the movies.
I don’t know what the answer is besides don’t buy them but there has been a market for these videos/DVD since I can remember way before computers even played a factor so I don’t see this changing for the better as technology gets smaller and easier for those recoding the movies

Posted by mlc on July 23, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"The gold ones are Galleons," he explained. "Seventeen silver Sickles to a Galleon and twenty-nine Knuts to a Sickle, it's easy enough."