Recap from Azkatraz

Conventions
July 22, 2009, 03:19 PM

Over the weekend, Azkatraz, a Harry Potter symposium took place in San Francisco, California. Lev Grossman was a guest at the convention, and has a new blog entry now online. Mr. Grossman, who wrote a previous article about his trip to our own LeakyCon (and the article from a few weeks ago about Wizard Rock), had the following observations about Azkatraz:

-- The crowd at Azkatraz was very diverse agewise, but genderwise it skewed heavily toward women. I don't know why this surprised me, but it did.

-- There was a great panel on the history of Harry Potter fandom online, starring Melissa Anelli, founder of The Leaky Cauldron and author of Harry: A History. She made an interesting point, which is that because Harry and the Internet both became massive mainstream phenomena at around the same time, and because Harry fans are kind of amazingly determined and resourceful, they wound up establishing a lot of the rules and social forms of online fandom in general. Harry Potter fandom is now the template for all future fandoms.

-- The conference organizers did a clever thing, which was to hijack a channel of the hotel cable system and continually broadcast the Harry Potter movies for 72 hours straight. I watched Cedric Diggory die so many times!

-- Chris Rankin was here, who plays Percy Weasley in the movies. He is in fact a nice and regular dude, who hung out in the evenings despite the incessant squeeing from fangirls. He also did a karaoke performance of "Summer Lovin'" from Grease.

On a related note, SFWeekly let us know about some photos they took at the convention, here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Conventions News

Tonks_-_wand_at_the_ready_-_avatar_thumb

Hopefully I can be there next year… it sounds like such a blast!

Posted by Ravenclaw Rose on July 22, 2009, 07:39 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Wow — sounds excellent. I wish I knew how to Apparate across the Pacific Ocean so I could enjoy all these cool conventions … To date, I’ve only made it as far as Guam.

Raven_avatar_thumb

I really want one of the posters with the typo error…

Posted by Won_Two on July 22, 2009, 09:28 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I’ve always wanted to go to a convention :P Harry Potter of course…
Azkatraz sounded like so much fun!! The whole thing about hijacking channels… sooo pottamazing!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 22, 2009, 09:54 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

I had no idea Chris Rankin was going. Cool! I really wish I could have gone.

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 22, 2009, 10:37 PM report to moderator

72 hours of the movies! Would be torn between all the stuff to do!

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 22, 2009, 10:43 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

I really did like the Harry Potter movie play through the conference did. Reminds me a lot why I don’t like Gambon’s portrayal of Dumbledore. :)

Tried to find something Hufflepuff to buy, like a nice t-shirt but couldn’t find anything but one with Robert Pattinson on the front as Cedric. While I like Cedric, I didn’t necessarily want to be walking around with Pattinson’s picture on a shirt & having people confuse him with Edward Cullen.

Posted by vespasian68967 on July 22, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator
Img_7118_thumb

I was in SF, but couldn’t go to Azkatraz because I was with my Muggle of a Mom. Sad. Hope everyone had fun.

Posted by gooseywizard on July 23, 2009, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I had a great time at Azkatraz—watching HBP with 590 fellow Potter fanatics, attending some fantastic lectures and discussions, meeting some wonderful people, including a number of fellow Leaky members.

Posted by wordsaremagic on July 23, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator
Hogwartshouses_thumb

Can we get that Percy Weasley doing Summer Loving on Youtube please? Sorry but that just sounds too awesome!

Posted by Bellamount on July 23, 2009, 02:29 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Ahaha, Percy singing Summer Lovin’? Classic.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on July 23, 2009, 04:18 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Sounds like it was great fun. I loved all the pictures. I wish I could go to something like that one day. Sigh!

Ronhermione_thumb

It sounds like it was fun!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on July 23, 2009, 09:32 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

the pictures look like FUN!

[Mrs. Weasley] pointed to the brand-new silver badge on Percy's chest. "Second Head Boy in the family!" she said, swelling with pride.[br]"And last," Fred muttered under his breath.