Followup on Jamie Waylett Case: Sentenced to Community Service (Updated)

Legal
July 21, 2009, 07:43 AM

A followup today regarding the legal case involving actor Jamie Waylett (Crabbe), who earlier this month plead guilty to growing cannabis plants at a residence in London, England. Today, the AP reports that Jamie was sentenced to to 120 hours of community service. The report continues:  Judge Timothy Workman said Tuesday that he accepted that the cultivation was on a small scale and for Waylett's own use. He said the actor had been, "until now, a man of good character."
UPDATE: The BBC has more now on the matter, including a message from Jamie: "Leaving the court, Waylett said: "I extend my sincere apologies to the producers, cast and crew and all at Warners and most especially to all Harry Potter fans."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Dhonesheet_thumb

Thank Goodness…he better learn from this! I mean it makes sense for him not to be sentenced to 14 years in prison. He’s YOUNG and up to that point he hasn’t been in any trouble and he’s actually been doing something good with his life. I don’t know why he all of a sudden decided to grow pot, but I really hope he learns from this mistake.

Posted by cghambright on July 21, 2009, 09:33 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_finale_thumb

I hope he does take this seriously as a wake up call that this is not the way his life should be going. I really hope that his experiences with the fans has not been such that they are mean to him because he is playing a bad character. I am sure he is not getting the kind of attention and popularity that the other actors get, but I personally am fond of his portrayal of this character and hope he would get to finish out the movies – and turn his life around to positive endevors. I think the magic of movies, plays, concerts or any group project is that all the people in the group are working toward a common goal and when it works (as brilliantly as HP has done) everyone walks away a little bit better for having been part of that type of experience. I hope he finds that in his work. : )

Posted by polyjusposhun on July 21, 2009, 09:37 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

I have a feeling they won’t have him back, but I hope this means he will be in dh.

and for all those saying you hope he realizes he did wrong and all that, even the judge said it was for personal use, with no intent to distribute. so unless you’re going to pass judgement on jamie’s personal life, you have to admit there’s very little malevolency in this case.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 21, 2009, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Glad all worked out for Jamie. I am glad he’ll be able to be in DH, no one else could ever be Crabbe!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 21, 2009, 11:21 PM report to moderator

IMO, he shouldn’t even BE punished in the first place. He’s an adult. If he wants to grow his own weed and smoke it, it should be his freakin’ business.

Posted by malcolm1980 on July 21, 2009, 11:47 PM report to moderator

@ZoeyLuna:
And what’s wrong with World of Warcraft, if I may ask? ;-)

Posted by JuleBule on July 22, 2009, 02:46 AM report to moderator
K_rom44ede1fcb7014_thumb

I think it was a just sentence and I hope that his statement to the press was sincere. He can use this as a point to straighten his life out and make a better life for himself.

Posted by Roman on July 22, 2009, 03:25 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

This was hyped up too much, in my opinion. Just goes to show yet again when you gain any type of celebrity status you pretty much lose privacy. Glad he didn’t get the maximum sentence.

Posted by Awakened on July 22, 2009, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Way to set a good example, Kid.

Postejeunes4_thumb

He’s no saint, he’s just human. And it’s not like he’s a cocaine or heroin junkie, is it?

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on July 22, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

well glad it’s almost over, it is really not that big a deal, i’m sure if it had something to do with the trio, it would have exploded more lol

“Breaking laws isn’t necessarily a bad thing” – err, yes it is lol…it’s not like we live in evil unfair dictatorship, there’s no huge pressing need to break laws like this. We can’t be sure why he did it, but I doubt it had anything to do with fighting for freedom, democracy and life as we know it :P
It wasn’t a serious crime, so he didn’t get a serious punishment. It’s irrelevant whether you, personally, agree with the law or not…if you do something that’s illegal and you get caught, then you’ll be punished. It was dumb of him to do what he did, but kudos to him for accepting the responsibility and the consequences.
Hopefully everyone will forget this soon :) lol

Posted by Tigger on July 22, 2009, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Ththhogwartsheaven_thumb

We all knew the secret of Crabbe anyways. Ok seriously, that is awful. I can’t believe it.

Posted by Taylor Potter ~★ROAR★~ on July 22, 2009, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

what’s a bit of trouble. geez. XD

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 22, 2009, 06:12 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

oh no not community service!

Posted by chanman on July 23, 2009, 12:54 AM report to moderator

Perhaps it was because he was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all his homework, but Harry could hardly believe it when he realized that he'd already been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt more like home than

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014