Charity Auction: Chair Used by JK Rowling When Writing First Two Harry Potter Novels

J.K. Rowling
July 21, 2009, 11:13 AM

There is a very special charity auction underway, featuring the personal chair used by author J.K. Rowling when she wrote the first two Harry Potter novels in her flat in Scotland. The chair, first donated and sold at auction in 2002 for charity, has now been donated again by the former owner, this time in effort to help the Books Abroad charity which sends free school books to impoverished countries.  As seen here on Ebay, the auction is open now until July 26, and includes some wonderful photos. The elaborately decorated chair comes with special authentication written by J.K. Rowling, written on a special Owl Post. Ananova reports:

Rowling wrote The Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets on the chair in her Scottish council flat when she was a single mother, surviving on benefits and struggling with depression.It has been personalised by the author herself and features several painted slogans including: "I wrote Harry Potter while sitting on this chair."

.. The letter explains that she was given four mismatched dining room chairs in 1995 and, because it was the most comfortable, it was this one that ended up at her desk in front of her typewriter.The author finishes off the letter with the comment: "My nostalgic side is sad to see you go but my back isn't."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

ha if i was only rich

Posted by Horcruxalej on July 21, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

That’s fantastic….I love hearing stories about this. It’s great to hear about people doing things like this for charity! :}

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 21, 2009, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

WOW! J.K Rowling is so funny! Haha made me smile while reading this! :)

Makes me wish I had money, but it’s already WAY out of my league!

Avatar_hp_thumb

Oh and I forgot to say it’s for a really good cause lol! :D

Electric_guitar_thumb

Now there is a piece of furniture I need…

Posted by Lloyd on July 21, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

That would be awesome to own something like that! I will be watching this auction to see how high it gets. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 21, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Tonks_-_wand_at_the_ready_-_avatar_thumb

Yay JKR! A great cause and an awesome piece of literary history! I really hope a museum gets it!

Posted by Ravenclaw Rose on July 21, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Mirror2_thumb
That would be such an odd thing to have. It’s a good idea, though.
Posted by Miss. Songbird on July 21, 2009, 07:31 PM report to moderator
Avatar_3_thumb

Lol this is quite cool, JKR can make anything special! I’d love to have it, and sit on it while I do homework and read books! :D

Posted by Lavendergirl ~WBM~ on July 21, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Snape-loreal_thumb

wow i would love to buy that…♥

Posted by Apple_8971 on July 21, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

I love teh way she painted on it and put messages on it…its not just a chair :) …Tho I agree that it could be in a British cultural museum, it is so much more fun to think a fan could sit on it and maybe write their own book…anyone got 2000 pounds I can borr…have? :)

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on July 21, 2009, 11:50 PM report to moderator
Picture_200_thumb

I want that chair :D

Posted by ϟTheWizardϟ on July 22, 2009, 05:09 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

That’s awesome that this is the second time this item will be benefiting a charity! I agree with all who said they hope a museum gets it.

Posted by Awakened on July 22, 2009, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

That is so cool!!! And it’s for CHAIR-ity! :o)

D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

OMG that is sooo cool! i love jo’s sense of humor! i wish i could own that chair ha ha!

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Longbottom, at the end of this lesson we will feed a few drops of this potion to your toad and see what happens. Perhaps that will encourage you to do it properly."