Dan Radcliffe on Deathly Hallows, Cutting of SubPlots and Working with Michael Gambon

Radcliffe Interviews
July 02, 2009, 12:34 AM

Dan Radcliffe is the subject of a new profile in the New Zealand Herald. In this run up to the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, we hear from the Harry Potter actor again on the dark material contained in the sixth film, as well as the lighter moments (There are huge opportunities for comedy in the sixth film and we use all of them, even though my natural inclination is not towards that. I love watching comedy but doing it is something else.") Dan also speaks very positively about working with acclaimed actor Michael Gambon, who portrays Professor Albus Dumbledore and has such an important role in HBP.

"I've always loved working with Mike, but I'd never had any big, in-depth scenes with him. It was exciting, knowing we were going to get a good run at those scenes. For the first four months it was just me and him, which was great. Actually when the rest of the cast finally came along, I thought, 'I don't like this'. I'd gotten so used to it being just me and Mike, who by the way is one of the best actors I've ever worked with, and probably the least professional. Which makes him an absolute joy to be around.
He takes nothing seriously, is always having a laugh, yet somehow seems to turn it on the moment the cameras start rolling. Because of our lengthy time together it meant we had the chance to build up a great relationship off camera and hopefully that translated on to the screen."

Of interest are new remarks about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which is currently in production in England. Dan speaks about the decision in the past to cut certain subplots  from earlier Harry Potter films, and notes that with two parts of Deathly Hallows, there will be very little that has to be omitted. Quotage:

I'm very happy that the seventh book is being made as two films," notes Radcliffe, "because I was worried they would have to cut important scenes. For example in the fourth film you could cut out the house elf sub-plot and it doesn't affect the main story in any way. In the second film they cut out the Nearly Headless Nick Death Day Party. In fact that whole character has fallen by the wayside. The problem with doing that with the final book is that there is nothing that doesn't relate to the main story or drive it forward. There's not much you could cut. So we've given ourselves the room and opportunity to do it justice."

Thanks HPANA!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Maraudersmap_thumb

Thanks for the interview. It’s excellent to hear that DH will have very few cuts. I just got done reading DH for the 4th time and read it as though I was seeing the movie. Trying to figure out what they would be cutting. I’m excited as it sounds like there won’t be nearly as many cuts of the subplots as we’ve come to expect from the films. The concern now goes back to how they are changing the story line to fit into the subplots cut from other films (i.e. Tonks/Lupin wedding being shown instead of Fleur/Bill’s wedding).

Posted by rhadamenthes {ROAR} on July 02, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Good interview – I’ve always admired Michael Gambon as an actor and have seen him in some fine stuff, but I just haven’t been able to like him as much as Richard Harris…..sorry, I just keep thinking how Harris would have handled some of the scenes and I think it would have been truer to the way I interpert Jo’s books. Alas…earwax

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 02, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

Great interview!

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on July 02, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
___thumb

Wow, it is unbeliaveble that we got to DH already…I don’t know what I’m gonna do after all this is over >:

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on July 02, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator

Very interesting. Good to know someone likes Michael Gambon’s acting, lol.

Posted by badger666 on July 02, 2009, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

yeah hardlu any cutting!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on July 02, 2009, 03:48 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good interview…

Posted by Won_Two on July 02, 2009, 03:57 PM report to moderator

The Boston Globe did an interview with him. It was published in this Sunday’s paper (6/28….I think). It was really neat.

Posted by elaphantluv34 on July 02, 2009, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

yes, i can’t wait for those scenes! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator

AWESOME, it give me real hope for HP7 when the actors make remarks like this!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 02, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

Dan always has interesting interviews. He has a lot of personal flair.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 02, 2009, 07:01 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Good interview! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 02, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Bring it on already!

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 02, 2009, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

AWwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posted by Picazo on July 03, 2009, 12:54 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Loved Dan’s comments about working with Michael Gambon.

Posted by Lillylove on July 03, 2009, 01:19 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Your aunt and uncle will be proud, though, won't they?" said Hermione... "When they hear what you did this year?"[br]"Proud?" said Harry. "Are you crazy? All those time I could've died, and I didn't manage it? They'll be furious...."