AP on World Wide Total to date for Half-Blood Prince: $396.7 Million

HBP Film
July 19, 2009, 01:28 PM

The Associated Press has just released a new article with the current world-wide box office for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: $396.7 Million. Breaking the numbers down, the AP reports HBP " took in $79.5 million domestically over opening weekend and $159.7 million since debuting last Wednesday, according to estimates from distributor Warner Bros. on Sunday. The movie also took in $237 million overseas since Wednesday in 54 countries, bringing its worldwide total to $396.7 million."

The piece continues:

"With some of the best reviews of any "Harry Potter" movie, "Half-Blood Prince" was off to the fastest overall start in franchise history.The sixth movie about the young wizard came in $20 million ahead of the last movie, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which grossed $139.7 million domestically in its first five days two years ago. The new film had the second-highest start ever for a movie premiering on Wednesday, trailing the $200 million five-day opening for last month's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

"Half-Blood Prince" already has surpassed the $157.3 million "Order of the Phoenix" pulled in during its entire first week. By the end of its seventh day Tuesday, "Half-Blood Prince" will be in the $180 million range on its way to becoming the franchise's first $300 million domestic smash since the original movie, 2001's "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

That’s awesome, but I totally wish it would beat Transformers, LOL, that movie really was not that great, just a lot of action scenes back to back and things blowing up. HBP was AWESOME! So come on, Potter fans, get thee back to the theater for another viewing!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on July 19, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Hp_ravenclaw_thumb

Fantastic!

Posted by Verity Weasley on July 19, 2009, 06:05 PM report to moderator
A153_thumb

Yay! I’m so happy that the movie has done so well!!

Posted by NightSky on July 19, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

WICKED!!! I’ve already seen it 3 TIMES and I’m going again today!! I’m so excited!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 19, 2009, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Excellent! Glad it did so well… the movie cost more than that to make! I’m sure it will continue to do well!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 19, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator
3660916675_e977c381ea_thumb

I’ve just now had the chance to go see the movie, and I was very, very disappointed. It seemed to me more of a collection of scenes that highlighted the key points of the book, than a smoothly-flowing movie story.

What happened to all the action scenes? There wasn’t any more than 30 seconds long! I overlooked all these missing scenes the whole way through thinking they were going to make up for it in the end with the DA patrolling the school while Harry was out with Dumbledore, and then for sure when the Death Eaters showed up. Nope. No action.

The Death Eaters just calmly walked out of the school as if they had just been there for a parent teacher conference.

I don’t wan’t full, non-stop action because I don’t like those types of movies either, but I just want a good story told.

Blah. Worst of the HP movies by far.

Although I did love the Harry / Ginny scenes.

Posted by AegisSailor on July 19, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

Yikes!

Posted by LulaL on July 19, 2009, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

Yippeee!!! I so glad the movie is doing so well. Come on three hundred million!!!

I’m doing my part by seeing it in IMAX-3D tomorrow and then again when I get home to Minneapolis!

Posted by determinedflygirl on July 19, 2009, 07:17 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Not surprising, but still amazing! Honestly, this is one of the best ones yet, in my personal opinion (though none of them can beat PoA). It definitely deserves the hype it’s getting. That’s a lot of money to rake in!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 19, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Hp6_thumb

if transformer did 200 millions first five day and hbp 396 there is way to beat transformers and dark knight too bellive me if otp did 140 in first five days give and in all 940 milion give half blood prince 200 millions plus 1 billion and more!!

Posted by Martinisthechosenone on July 19, 2009, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

boo. we didn’t beat out transformers..
I almost had a bet going on..

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 19, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

oh yea..we beat twilight! :)) whoop whoop!

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 19, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Hp6_thumb

IAM GIVING 2 MILIONS THAT HBP WILL BEAT TRANSFORMERS! STILL HAVE TIME!

Posted by Martinisthechosenone on July 19, 2009, 07:44 PM report to moderator

“As HP fans, we should be critical of anything that falls short of the mark” hws

“As real Potter fans, whe are used to the changes between the books and the movies. Real Potter fans know that a 2hr movie cannot contain everything that happens in 600 pages, but i bet you think you are the first person to point out that the funeral was cut…
Javier J”

Not at all – I believe that there were at least 3 other postings that realize scenes were cut, although I am not sure if you were one of them …

Posted by hws on July 19, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

i can’t believe that it won’t pass Transformers. >< doesn’t make sense to me.

still doing great, though.

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on July 19, 2009, 08:13 PM report to moderator

Voldemort moved slowly forward and turned to face Harry. He raised his wand.[br][i]"Crucio!"[/i][br]It was pain beyond anything Harry had ever experienced; his very bones were on fire; his head was surely splitting along his scar; his eyes were rolling ma

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014