AP on World Wide Total to date for Half-Blood Prince: $396.7 Million

HBP Film
July 19, 2009, 01:28 PM

The Associated Press has just released a new article with the current world-wide box office for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: $396.7 Million. Breaking the numbers down, the AP reports HBP " took in $79.5 million domestically over opening weekend and $159.7 million since debuting last Wednesday, according to estimates from distributor Warner Bros. on Sunday. The movie also took in $237 million overseas since Wednesday in 54 countries, bringing its worldwide total to $396.7 million."

The piece continues:

"With some of the best reviews of any "Harry Potter" movie, "Half-Blood Prince" was off to the fastest overall start in franchise history.The sixth movie about the young wizard came in $20 million ahead of the last movie, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which grossed $139.7 million domestically in its first five days two years ago. The new film had the second-highest start ever for a movie premiering on Wednesday, trailing the $200 million five-day opening for last month's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

"Half-Blood Prince" already has surpassed the $157.3 million "Order of the Phoenix" pulled in during its entire first week. By the end of its seventh day Tuesday, "Half-Blood Prince" will be in the $180 million range on its way to becoming the franchise's first $300 million domestic smash since the original movie, 2001's "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Ginny_thumb

HOLYYYYYY SH…..Woah. That is a pretty huge number. Wow.

Posted by RaveKatie [WBM] on July 19, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

It’s only 11:30 on the West Coast – how they can they figure what it’s made domestically if we still have the majority of the day left!? Either way, I think this is fabulous (and wish it would beat Transformers as well!) I think it should continue to do well! I’ve already seen it twice and plan on seeing it at least twice more (count one of those for IMAX.) :)

Posted by BwaySaint on July 19, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

People at work are taking vacation days to see the movie.

Posted by Hydrus on July 19, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

People waited for so long that they just wanted to see the movie.The cast and crew deserve all the success.

Posted by minishiva on July 19, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

WOW!

Holy poo!! That is a lot of money. Well, good for HP lol! :D

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Ha! So much for the opening week boycott. C’mon who was really gonna do it?! Shame HBP wont beat Dark Knight, that would have been incredible leading into DH. I do want DH to beat PS at the box office- well good luck

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 19, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Photo_47_thumb

Wow! I liked the movie, it made me laugh alot.. Especially the Weasleys. IT had some darn good special affects as well, so I wonder how much it took them to make it.. Overall, a great movie!

Posted by PeaceLoveWeasley on July 19, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator

HPB was a fantastic book, so much so that i read it 3 times…however, I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that so much of it was cut from the movie. I felt that with all the cuts, the movie made no sense (well it did to me because i read the book 3 times) but the plot holes in the movie were so big you could have driven a convoy through them. I have adored every singe movie up to now but they cut this book to ribbons. Where were Bill and Fleur? Where was the battle scene at the school? Why didn’t they explain about the rest of the horcruxes? hagrid had 5 lines in the whole movie, Ginny had lines that were Hermoine’s, they added ALOT of stuff that wasn’t in the book (the burrow didn’t burn down in the book) Where was the whole thing about the room of requirement and the fact that Harry his his book near Ravenclaw’s Diadem (which we find out in deathly hallows). I am scared to see the next movies now because they really through HPB under the bus. Sorry folks but if you are a HP purist you have to admit I’m right.

Posted by potterphile34 on July 19, 2009, 02:47 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Sorcerer’s Stone was the best! Honestly, I kinda hope it stays the #1 money earner! However, HBP was good, and I saw it twice on opening day! It’s the sixth movie, so I’m hoping to see it six times before it comes out on DVD! Good job HBP! =]

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on July 19, 2009, 02:49 PM report to moderator

Well, the books are still intact. Nothing was cut from them. Book canon and movie canon are two different things. I have chosen not to weep for everything that wasn´t put up on screen (creating 6-hour-movies), but instead to appreaciate what we get to see. Surprisingly, a lot can be left our and still make a good film. Not everything in the books can be easily translated to visuals. This was attempted in the first two films and it shows, the constant “Look! It´s a magical world! Isn´t our art department great?!” didn´t really help the pace of the films.
I´ve seen 6 twice now and I currently believe it is the best photographed and editied of all the 6 films (so far). One scene blends perfectly into the next, everything is connected and there is a thousand little great moments there. For the first time it is not about Visual Effects and Fantasy, but about characters. We do not need to see the moving staircase again, because we know it is there. We do not need to know everything about Horcruxes yet, because I´d like to find out in 7 and 8 when Harry does. The ending made me tear up the second time, it is still that moving. When I want to be movies by D´s funeral, I´ll read the section in the book.

Posted by Fonty on July 19, 2009, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

That is a LOT of money. The cast and crew earned it though [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 19, 2009, 03:01 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

f yeah!

Posted by placebowiz on July 19, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I thought the movie was great. I think people expect too much sometimes. My brother said, I wish they’d just not leave me hanging at one of these movies and I explained to him that they have to do that to continue making the films. If you want an ending, go see DH2 when it comes out.

Comparing Transformers 2 to HBP is ridiculous, HBP was a much better film in comparison. I loved the first transformers, but the 2nd one was not nearly as good. HBP is a much better film than OOTP, so I feel they did their jobs.

Posted by Liderc on July 19, 2009, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Swampwolf-bucket_thumb

This movie is the best so far, truly a fantastic achievement. It felt so kind of natural and real, like they’re really firing on all cylinders now. With the previous movies I’ve watched them once and and rarely gone back to them (okay, Azkaban was pretty good). But with this one, I think I need to see it about six times, because it was such an engrossing experience.

@potterphile34 – you must be the fifty millionth person to notice that a 2hr movie cannot contain everything that happens in 600 pages. They have to rework it to make the most of the medium, a film is not a book. The Fleur stuff is funny, but that’s all. That alone would have added an hour to the movie if it was all included!

You may be an HP purist, but the fact is, a twenty-five hour movie wouldn’t be as good. It just wouldn’t.

And anyway, I think they did a superb job of including chunks of dialog exactly from the book, just where they were most needed. The horcrux memory scene, for example. That was damn near perfect. And some of the stuff that was added this time, it was brilliant. Slughorn’s story about the fish… the erasing of the dark mark, that sent shivers down my spine, and had way more emotional impact in a few seconds than it would if they’d cut to a funeral. And Harry’s weird little Voldy-mannerism after he touches the ring. A brilliant moment. They also put all the guilt onto Harry, because he let Snape go to Dumbledore (just as, in the books, Hermione and various others did) which saved a lot of screen time.

Posted by Janitor of Azkaban on July 19, 2009, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

wow!! Harry Potter deserves it!! :)

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on July 19, 2009, 03:06 PM report to moderator

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione.[br]Harry and Ron looked at her.[br]"What d'you think Harry's going to do with it -- sweep the floor?" said Ron.