TV Watch Tonight: Discovering Real World of Harry Potter, JK Rowling, A Year in the Life

J.K. Rowling
July 16, 2009, 06:05 PM

In case you missed our reminder post yesterday, tonight will see the J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life documentary broadcast on ABC at 8:00pm (Eastern). As noted by the NY Daily News, this airing of the 2007 documentary " which was filmed by James Runcie, inserts voiceovers by Elizabeth Vargas doesn't update the narrative, however, or tie it to the new movie, so it often plays more like a slice of recent pop-culture history than a news special."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

I just wanted to say that I saw the special last night and it was really good! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 17, 2009, 04:11 PM report to moderator

This was on in December 2007, I recorded it. I saw this, so I decided to rewatch it. I love JK Rowling, she truly is remarkable __

Posted by Mr. Tom *ROAR* on July 17, 2009, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Stag_1__thumb

Imissed it does anybody know if it will reair or rebroadcast anytime soon :(

Posted by doublecore on July 17, 2009, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Blast-ended_skrewt_thumb

Seeing Jo in tears in her old apartment, the one in which she began to write Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone during the most difficult time in her life, I thought to myself, “This is the woman who wrote so eloquently about the death of Dobby.” She seemed very much in touch with her feelings from that period, and obviously is able to transmute them into great character portraits in the books.

Posted by Professor Skrewt, OoM4, SM on July 17, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

Jo… You really didn’t have to share anything yet you had and I am thankful!

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on July 17, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

doublecore…Go to this Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1l4WYk4aQ4&NR=1

Please please please don’t anyone delete it from youtube. Anyone who missed it can watch it in 8 parts on the youtube website.
____________________________________________________

You wrote:
I missed it does anybody know if it will reair or rebroadcast anytime soon :(
Posted by doublecore on July 17, 2009, 05:06 PM

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on July 17, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator

To lutherjw you are absolutely correct! Her voiceover did nothing and probably detracted from the length of the original and speaking of the original how in the blue blazes did you get a copy of the original and how can the rest of us??

Posted by hewy on July 17, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Chloekisses1_thumb

The rare glimpse into Jo’s life was amazing. It must be so difficult to balance personal life and “celebrity” when your work puts you into the public light. The only thing that I didn’t like was Mr. Runcie asking Jo how much money she has made. I’m so glad that she politely refused to divulge the information and telling him that it’s private. it’s really no one else’s business how much she’s made. The amount of joy and pleasure she’s given the world with the Harry universe cannot be quantified in terms of money alone anyway.

Posted by Sheri on July 17, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I agree, lutherjw – I wish I had the original version. I thought Elizabeth Vargas’s comments just interrupted the flow – and some of them made it clear that she didn’t get the books! Sigh – why do TV bigwigs think Americans need extra “dumbing down” of British documentaries??

Posted by Agrippa1 on July 17, 2009, 06:00 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

i watched this last night and loved it. very entertaining and loved learning more about Jo’s life. i’ll be watching it again tonight along with the Travel channel documentary

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on July 17, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator

Agrippa1 every thing is being dumbdown for us as the general media and others think we a bunch of brainless gits and not able to understand the English language.

Posted by hewy on July 17, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
The_claw_normal_thumb

I can’t believe I missed these… totally bummed out.

Posted by OrlandoDaddy [WBM] on July 17, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
A_tom_felton_july_23_2011b_thumb

I thought it was good but I could have done without the american narrator. She talked way too much and it was mostly useless information. I also didn’t appreciate that a year in the life of JK Rowling, a vitally important year that is, was boiled down to about 43 minutes worth of footage. Surly there is more valuable video from this year out there somewhere. Will we ever get a chance to see the year more in its entirety?

Posted by HollyLime on July 17, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_icons_004_thumb

I MISSED IT! :-\ I was busy, and i missed it..

Did anyone record it…and can post it online? It would be fabulous!

MBW

Posted by Muggle-Born-Witch on July 17, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
Img_4954_thumb

It’s all on youtube to anyone who missed it :)

Posted by CrazedMuggle on July 17, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator

"You were so keen to help the Order," said Mrs. Weasley, "you can do your bit by making headquarters fit to live in."[br]"I feel like a house-elf," grumbled Ron.[br]"Well, now that you understand what dreadful lives they lead, perhaps you'll be a bit more