TV Watch Tonight: Discovering Real World of Harry Potter, JK Rowling, A Year in the Life

J.K. Rowling
July 16, 2009, 06:05 PM

In case you missed our reminder post yesterday, tonight will see the J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life documentary broadcast on ABC at 8:00pm (Eastern). As noted by the NY Daily News, this airing of the 2007 documentary " which was filmed by James Runcie, inserts voiceovers by Elizabeth Vargas doesn't update the narrative, however, or tie it to the new movie, so it often plays more like a slice of recent pop-culture history than a news special."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Genny_thumb

I wish they showed the original. Vargas felt disingenuous, and it seemed like they cut things.

Posted by ques on July 16, 2009, 09:47 PM report to moderator

NOOOOO that means I’ve missed it in PST!
>.<
The previous post DID NOT mention if 8:00 was EST or PST ><

Posted by Linduh_Radcliffe on July 16, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Miiavatar_thumb

While this was still an okay version, it wasn’t nearly as compelling as the original. The way it was edited and re-arranged, and Vargas’ annoying voice (seemingly reading exactly what Runcie said in the British version) were just plain annoying.

It’s a shame, really, that American viewers were deprived of the superior version. I really wish they had just aired it as it was originally intended.

Posted by lutherjw on July 16, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator

I saw it and thought it was excellent, even the commentary. I won’t go into sdetails, but I found that I have a lot in common with JKR. I only wish that her kind of talent were one!

Posted by SybilT on July 16, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
Th_th03_1__thumb

watched them both!!! :D

Posted by ღ Courtney {R0aR} ღ on July 16, 2009, 10:57 PM report to moderator
101_1115_thumb

There was really no need for Elizabeth Vargas to talk at all. It’s a good thing I saw the original, because I would have been disappointed if tonight’s airing was my one chance. Way to almost totally ruin a good thing, ABC.

Posted by suzieqosu on July 16, 2009, 11:32 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I watched it and it was very informational. It was interesting it was comprised of things i knew and things i didnt.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 11:45 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I missed the thing on the travel channel. im staying up until 2 to watch it.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 11:52 PM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

Guys, you’re being too critical of the American version. Even though I got annoyed by it, it didn’t “ruin” the documentary.
I bet if you hadn’t seen the original one, you would ignore her and enjoy Jo.

Posted by punkedup88 on July 17, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

I had my brother record it for me since I had work! Can’t wait to see it (I didn’t see it when it aired in the UK). :)

But aw man, I’m sad that I missed the Travel Channel one. I love Hugh Laurie, too! Will it ever air again? Or does anyone know where I could watch it?

Posted by Mera004 on July 17, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I watched it tonight!

Posted by siriuslyamanda on July 17, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
20110714-092024_thumb

I’m so excited for this! My friend tivo’ed it so we can watch it this weekend (we were too busy tonight) and I am VERY excited! ♥

Posted by Greta on July 17, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_m2rela3or11qdoyv4o1_500_thumb

This was very much worth watching!

Posted by *ariana_dumbledore* on July 17, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

Ooh, it’s coming on again at 2am (the Travel channel one). I’m going to record it. :)

Posted by Mera004 on July 17, 2009, 12:14 AM report to moderator
Quidditch_thumb

aw i missed it! :(

Posted by shelby on July 17, 2009, 01:23 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Look at this!" said Malfoy in ecstasy, holding up Ron's robes and showing Crabbe and Goyle, "Weasley, you weren't thinking of [i]wearing[/i] these, were you? I mean -- they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety...."