TV Watch Tonight: Discovering Real World of Harry Potter, JK Rowling, A Year in the Life

J.K. Rowling
July 16, 2009, 06:05 PM

In case you missed our reminder post yesterday, tonight will see the J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life documentary broadcast on ABC at 8:00pm (Eastern). As noted by the NY Daily News, this airing of the 2007 documentary " which was filmed by James Runcie, inserts voiceovers by Elizabeth Vargas doesn't update the narrative, however, or tie it to the new movie, so it often plays more like a slice of recent pop-culture history than a news special."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Asha_and_caleb_thumb

Thank God I got on to check my email. I would have missed it. Setting up the VCR now (Yes it’s what I still use).

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on July 16, 2009, 07:50 PM report to moderator

I just got home, I missed most of it… Will there be a re-airing of it?

Posted by AccioAmanda ☆WBM☆ on July 16, 2009, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Dh_c33--the-princes-tale_thumb

Wow, I’m watching A Year in the Life right now. It is very interesting. But I can already tell that the hour will come up too soon and I will want it to continue. It is well shot and very frank and honest portrayal, I think. I never knew that she based dementors on her own depression expereinces but it makes perfect sense, because when I read about their description, I thought about how truly horrible that is to live wihtout hope or happiness and to feel that you will never be happy again.

Posted by chingmcc on July 16, 2009, 08:39 PM report to moderator

I’m in Canada, what time does this come on?

Posted by potterprincess888 on July 16, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I like the other version of A Year in the Life better. This one was nice too… but I liked the other one more. Still made me cry though. ): Makes you appreciate Jo and the books… makes you love them even more!

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I agree with lutherjw … the inserted comments just might bug the crap out of me.

1204091927_thumb

lol the inserted voices werent that bad. ughhh ; i missed the 1st 15 min of it, but i recorded the rest ! >< i hope they’ll air it again ! :/

Posted by Heroine Luna on July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

Posted by Heroine Luna on July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

I actually remembered to watch it! It was quite fun to watch on my own tv. Unfortunately, the host was a bit irritating. I think it would have been more fun to watch if they’d left that out!

I’ll be sure to watch that show on the Travel channel, thanks for mentioning it!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 16, 2009, 09:11 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

I agree with lutherjw. I’m watching it right now. I watched the original version back in 2007 online and I enjoyed it much more as it was then without that half-wit Elizabeth Vargas’s pointless commentary and presence. To be honest I really wish she’d just f—- off and shut it. Sorry, but it annoys me that unlike the original her commentary over-exagerrates and over-dramatizes every single word Jo said. I really enjoyed the original and was so excited to finally watch it on my TV until I realized it wasn’t being aired in its original format. ABC just had to go and screw up a great documentary by adding their own unnecessary BS to it.

Posted by bella vita on July 16, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

It was great… Jo was so awesome…

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Barbnotl_thumb

Well, I was disappointed in ABC’s packaging of it. I’m sure the actual footage by James Runcie was nipped and tucked to fit into the allotted time, too — I remember seeing a scene or two of the original documentary. Why in the world couldn’t ABC just have shown the documentary as Runcie intended it to be viewed, instead of chopping it to bits and ruining it? Very disappointing to those of us on this side of the pond …

Posted by Barb Powell on July 16, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

I miss Jo so much, doesn’t everyone else? She is our Harry Mom. I can’t wait till we hear she is starting to write the ‘Scottish book’ aka Encyclopedia. I almost forgot. I cried during this show. I loved it. Remembered all the wait we had.And I’m watching the travel channel at 10pm for the harry’s world thing. Saw it before,love it.

Posted by Dlcohm7 on July 16, 2009, 09:20 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

just watched and it was really good

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 16, 2009, 09:21 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

Yeah, I agree too. Thank God for you tube. Everyone can show us the full version. Why can’t they show it to us here. Still good though. But lots of looking at on you tube now im sure.So who is seeing HP6 tom or sat again? Me! Even tho I am mad at many parts cut out.

Posted by Dlcohm7 on July 16, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator

"Well, well, well," said the Fat Lady, "Violet's just told me everything. Who's just been chosen as school champion, then?"[br]"Balderdash," said Harry dully.[br]"It most certainly isn't!" said the pale witch indignantly.[br]"No, no, Vi, it's the password

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014