Nighy Talks Scrimgeour and The Will of Albus Dumbledore Scene (Updated)

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 06:33 PM

Actor Bill Nighy has given more details on his role as Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Scifiwire.com spoke with the actor who stated again he will be filming his role in the next few weeks, and also gave some more detail about one scene, which readers will recall happens in The Will of Albus Dumbledore chapter:

"Well, there's one where he comes and delivers Dumbledore's [Michael Gambon] legacy to the three children," Nighy replied, referring to Harry, Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint, with whom Nighy worked on the upcoming action-comedy Wild Target). "He gives them all of the things that Dumbledore has left them, and that's when it's first indicated that he may not be around for much longer. So it's quite an affecting scene."

He also speaks again on the character, noting "Scrimgeour is a rather tragic figure, without giving too much away," Nighy said. "But there's no giving too much away, because everybody's read the books. So he's a kind of tragic figure. You have that element. And he knows what's coming. So that's a very moving thing to play. He's also very powerful, and he's had a very complicated progress to the top. And he has an interesting relationship with Harry [Daniel Radcliffe], because Harry views him initially with complete contempt, but then it's softened by subsequent events."
UPDATE: MTV now has a video interview online where he briefly says that yes he is playing Rufus Scrimgeour

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Weasleys-da_thumb

Another well casted part! Is anyone really surprised?

Posted by fngw417 on July 17, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

at least this scene will be included !! i’m so excited fro DH!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on July 17, 2009, 04:34 PM report to moderator

He’ll be great! Hope they give him a blonde wig to look like the lion he’s described as in the books.
Saw HBP and Cissy Malfoy had black and blonde hair in the books she is just as blonde as Lucius and Draco. Can these folks not read??

Posted by hewy on July 17, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator

I’m glad he’s in DH, even though they didn’t put him in HBP.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 17, 2009, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Th_7390131_thumb

“…and that’s when it’s first indicated that he may not be around for much longer.”

I hope he’s talking about Scrim and not Dd.. bc the latter is already dead, of course.

Posted by Azkaban Dietitian on July 18, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Plat9

I wholly approve of Bill Nighy being cast as Rufus Scrimgeour, I couldn’t think of anyone better, but he should have also featured in HPB in order to illustrate Harry’s disaffection with the Ministry and RS’s policies and attitude in particular. I really enjoyed HBP – but there were several major changes I wasn’t that happy with.
The first is the Death Eaters’ attack on the Burrow at Christmas instead of the confrontation between Harry and Scrimgeour, and another is the lack of a battle between Death Eaters and Order Members towards the end, just after Dumbledore’s death; this ;ast omission caused the film to come to rather an abrupt end. Failing to introduce Scrimgeour in HPB is going to make for some tricky scriptwriting for the one and only scene featuring Scrimgeour in DH, since, although we know that Scrimgeour is eventually murdered, we only HEAR that is the case from Kingsley in the book. Quite how Bill is going to act out “So he’s a kind of tragic figure. You have that element. And he knows what’s coming. So that’s a very moving thing to play” when there has been no introduction to this (from the movie point of view) is rather mystifying.
I would also like to have seen the Dursleys ticked off by Dumbledore for their treatment of Harry over the years (instead of the “girl in the cafe” scene) and more made of the importance (and identification) of the Horcruxes. thus mapping out the road ahead.
Sorry – bit of a long one but its off my chest now.

Posted by stevee23 on July 18, 2009, 03:43 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

excited to see bill nighy in this role. only scene him as davy jones in POC. didn’t know who he was until i looked at the credits.

Posted by Empressa on July 18, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

looking forward to it! i believe this is the chapter with ginny and harry kissing at the burrow (correct me if i’m wrong). i’d say i’m more interested in seeing that hah ;)

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 18, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Yay, he’s actually who I imagined as Scrimgeour funnily enough when reading. So I was over the moon when I found out he’d been cast. And got that perfectly right that’s exactly how I felt about him, his practices were perhaps wrong but he was trying to do his best for the wizarding world and died on Harry’s side than concede. So it’ll be great to have somone as accomplished as Nighy to bring that forth, when lesser actors would have just made him a baddie. Oh and harryrichardspotter from page 1- Rhys Ifans is Welsh but I guess he’ll be putting on an Irish accent for DH to keep in line with Evanna

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 18, 2009, 06:17 PM report to moderator
What_the_hell_is_a_hufflepuff__by_emptymug_thumb

Bill Nighy ROCKS! he is amazing, one of the best actors ever. I’ve always wanted him to do Harry Potter! and I think he will fit the role perfectly :)

Posted by Andrea Black on July 18, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator

I’ve seen the HP and Half-blood prince twice so far. I thought it was great. I would have like to have seen Scrimgeour in this movie. Hope DH turns out to be great!

Posted by smgkkg on July 18, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator

Posted by smgkkg on July 18, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator

Posted by smgkkg on July 18, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

It sounds like they’ve expanded the role of Scrimgeour somewhat, doesn’t it? Bill Nighy is a great actor!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on July 18, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

i cant wait to see how he dresses up in costume

Posted by The Nerd on July 19, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator

The girl gave off an aura of distinct dottiness. Perhaps it was the fact that she had stuck her wand behind her left ear for safekeeping, or that she had chosen to wear a necklace of butterbeer caps, or that she was reading a magazine upside down.