Nighy Talks Scrimgeour and The Will of Albus Dumbledore Scene (Updated)

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 06:33 PM

Actor Bill Nighy has given more details on his role as Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Scifiwire.com spoke with the actor who stated again he will be filming his role in the next few weeks, and also gave some more detail about one scene, which readers will recall happens in The Will of Albus Dumbledore chapter:

"Well, there's one where he comes and delivers Dumbledore's [Michael Gambon] legacy to the three children," Nighy replied, referring to Harry, Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint, with whom Nighy worked on the upcoming action-comedy Wild Target). "He gives them all of the things that Dumbledore has left them, and that's when it's first indicated that he may not be around for much longer. So it's quite an affecting scene."

He also speaks again on the character, noting "Scrimgeour is a rather tragic figure, without giving too much away," Nighy said. "But there's no giving too much away, because everybody's read the books. So he's a kind of tragic figure. You have that element. And he knows what's coming. So that's a very moving thing to play. He's also very powerful, and he's had a very complicated progress to the top. And he has an interesting relationship with Harry [Daniel Radcliffe], because Harry views him initially with complete contempt, but then it's softened by subsequent events."
UPDATE: MTV now has a video interview online where he briefly says that yes he is playing Rufus Scrimgeour

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Iconavmeg_thumb

This makes me happy. I’m glad to hear they are keeping the sceen. Yeahy!!

Posted by Cheimonas on July 17, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I so Excited for this movie!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 17, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Sounds like they are going to go this film true to the books. Can’t wait to see it!

Posted by beewell on July 17, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

it sounds like a good scene can’t wait to see it

Posted by sinwillys822 ROAR on July 17, 2009, 11:03 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

I have always visualized Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour since the first time I read HBP. I still didnt see the movie but, I’m so not impressed they left Scrimgeour out. How could they not include the Dumbledore’s man through and through line, which is one of the most quoted and most iconic lines of the entire HP series.
Personally, I’m glad that the DH movie is being made in two parts because, there’s some hope they’ll include more events and people and, from Bill Nighy’s interview it would seem that they are doing so.
Bill Nighy is a great actor and I think he’ll make a good Scrimgeour :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 17, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

cant wait 4 DH!!!!!!!!

Bill Nighy is a fav actor of mine! HE will be a perfaect addition to the HP cast!

Posted by ScrtDracoFollwr on July 17, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator

Im guessing that nighy in the film is going to portray a really good Scrimgeour, but me and him have 1 thing in common – i cant wait until that scene with the will either!!!!!

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 17, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
A153_thumb

Sounds great! When do you guys think we’ll start seeing pictures of the movie? Not on location pics, b/c/ we have loads of those. But actual movie pics?

Posted by NightSky on July 17, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I really like him. I think he was an awesome choice for scrimgeour.

Posted by minishiva on July 17, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I’m really excited for Bill Nighy to be in the films!! And I had to laugh really hard when I saw this article because I just read that scene last night. :)

Posted by RavenclawDancer on July 17, 2009, 02:02 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

cool

D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

cool

Tamy_129_thumb

I´m not excited about DH because I just can´t stop thinking about how awesome HBP was! Can´t stop thinking about it!!! I just can´t stop!!! I loved HBP so much!!!! HBP rocked my world!

Posted by Tamyris on July 17, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

I really liked they casted Nighy. It was a terrific choice. He is a marvelous actor and he wanted to participate, that is the most important. He was eager for it so it is almost a certain that he will do a good work.

Posted by Tamyris on July 17, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator

"The Minister was just telling me about your lucky escape, Potter," drawled Mr. Malfoy. "Quite astonishing, the way you continue to wriggle out of very tight holes... [i]Snakelike,[/i] in fact..."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014