Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I hope it will be good.

Posted by minishiva on July 17, 2009, 01:00 PM report to moderator
Green_hummers_thumb

soo cool can’t wait

Posted by Lady Grey OoM2,CW*ROAR* on July 17, 2009, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

great!!

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator

Good!!! Hope the battle rocks!!! I would say that it will.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on July 17, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

sounds good to me…tho i am going to try to hold off on exciting myself too much…i am going into it with no expectations…i feel like we cant enjoy the movies for what they are if we build them up

Icon_thumb

It’s at the point now where if they do the battle well, it will make the second movie the best Harry Potter movie ever, if they do it poorly, everyone will feel jipped when they leave the theatre. I have confidence in the director and producer. They should get it right.

Posted by Elwood J. Blues on July 17, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Img_0645_thumb

To the fellow wanting to see a trailer:

I would expect the first one to show up for the Twilight:Eclipse movie (that comes out in late June).

There may be a teaser earlier in the year, and I would definitely expect something to be on the DVD/blu ray this Christmas, but that’s it.

Posted by big_pale on July 17, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

30 minutes of fighting? Wow! that´s awesome!!! Cool cool cool The final battle is one of my favourite parts ever!!!

Posted by Tamyris on July 17, 2009, 02:34 PM report to moderator
1jrcw8

30 minutes of following Harry around with a handheld camera during the battle is going to be so awesome!

Posted by grawp08 on July 17, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Stag_1__thumb

I hate to be the one that says i can wait. But i can really wait until the end. I am going to see HBP again saturday on IMAX and hopefully my sister wont cry again. DH will be awesome and SPOILER ALERT !!!!! maybe there will be an epic battle since we didn’t have one in HBP :)

Posted by doublecore on July 17, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

that sounds ok to me :)

Posted by Dottie on July 17, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

My thoughts on DH1 is that they could replace the wedding with DD’s funeral. I mean, if the majority of the Wizarding World is at DD’s funeral, they can easily have whoever was at the wedding be there and still give the same info (ie Skeeter’s article, etc). Perhaps, then, they’ll have the DE’s attacking people at the end of the funeral, and… well, I’m almost imagining they may actually cut the whole “Polyjuiced Harry” and just having the injuries/deaths that occur during that occur during the DE attack. Then the Trio goes on the run.

But now that I think about it… I don’t think that’s going to be the case, based on BTS pics. I wonder if they’ll turn Bill/Fleur’s wedding into a Lupin/Tonks wedding.

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 17, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator
26097981_thumb

Sounds promising. Let’s hope that scene lives up to our expectations.

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on July 17, 2009, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

excellent! i really hope they do it justice!

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on July 17, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Awesome! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 17, 2009, 04:14 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"It's one of the basic rules of breeding," she said. "You see it all the time with dogs. If there's something wrong with the bitch, there'll be something wrong with the pup --"