Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Picture_6_thumb

30 minutes – yes! Hopefully that’ll make up for the –
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
-lack of battle in HBP.

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on July 17, 2009, 10:25 AM report to moderator
Blue-moon_thumb

I’m uncomfortable with the idea of Harry fighting back Voldemort. but never mind I’ll just wait and see. it might be good on screen.

Posted by shellscotie on July 17, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I think it’s going to be great and I am not really worried at all. It’s going to be great!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on July 17, 2009, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Guess we will just have to take what they do. Harry fighting back is in the books but he doesn’t do that much since he is looking for the horcruxes or one I should say. Having the battle only last 30 minutes isn’t much but I’ll take what they give us. So thrilling to have something about the last two movies but rather sad knowing this will be it…no more Harry after the last part. Wish it could last forever!

Posted by beewell on July 17, 2009, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Can’t wait!

Base1_thumb

30 minutes is pretty cool :).

Posted by evannaa on July 17, 2009, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I do not read David Heyman’s comments the same way many people seem to be. I agree with the person a couple pages back (yes, I read the previous comments prior to making my own) who believes that David Heyman is talking about the actualy fighting in Hogwarts – this is the area where they will probably have Harry fight back. He even specified that there were two parts to the battle, before the forest scene, and after the forest scene. This implies that he does not consider the forest scene itself as “part of the battle.” It is a separate, stand alone scene which I am sure they will try to be as faithful to as possible. Heyman, Yates, and Dan Radcliffe have all previously discussed what an important scene that is and how emotional it will be. I’m sure when he discusses “Harry fighting back”, he means in the actual “war” scenes. I also agree. Harry’s a good wizard – the best at defense against the dark arts for his age – right (even becomes an auror)? We should finally get to see him fight – I always wished the books had more of Harry fighting. Plus, from a purely movie sence point of view – they have to have Harry/Dan Radcliffe as the talented wizard hero. Anyway – don’t worry so much. People are going nuts already and the last movie is only 2 days old!

Posted by sueml on July 17, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator
268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

I hope it will be epic!

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on July 17, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Evanna2_thumb

sounds pretty good.. 30 min!! i would like 500 minutes but im satisfied xD
but yea harry fighting back, not sure about that.. they have to make so that Voldy dies bc his own curse backfired, thats the whole point, so Harry’s soul isnt damaged. hmm.

Posted by tonksgirl *ROAR* on July 17, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

YAY! I can’t wait for DH part 2!!! It’s going to be sooooo good! XD

Ronhermione_thumb

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! the battle is epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow – that was very juicy – now i just want the trailer to come out! arrggh!

Posted by AndreaB09 on July 17, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator
250px-luna_s_patronus_thumb

I hope the battle has some pretty intense music and effects to compliment it! As well as some camera work… there’s nothing more thrilling than dramatic music, perspective, and wandplay put together!

Posted by Moo on July 17, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

Like everyone else, I am hoping they are refering to the post-sacrifice battle. Yes, let Harry kick some major butt there…after seeing all that death, absolutely !!! But leave the sacrifice scene alone, untouched, unmodified and pure.

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on July 17, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator

I can kinda see where they’re coming from for the final, final battle with Voldemort. It reminds me a little of Jaws. In the book the shark pretty much just dies, that all of the barrels and spears finally work. (Granted it’s been years since I’ve read the book.) Cinematically, that real doesn’t work. After two hour you really need something with humph, so they came up with the exploding air tank. Of course, one problem with that is — air tanks don’t explode. They tried it on Mythbusters, and it becomes a projectile propelled by the air escaping from the bullet hole. Looked great on the big screen, though.

Posted by zoltan42 on July 17, 2009, 12:33 PM report to moderator

"But what were dementoids [i]doing[/i] in Little Whinging?" said Uncle Vernon in tones of outrage.[br]"Couldn't tell you," said Harry wearily. "No idea."