Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

You guys know if it’s Mark Day who’s editing the battle he’s gonna ruin it!

Posted by Roonil Wazlib on July 17, 2009, 08:21 AM report to moderator
Rimg0123_thumb

I so hope that they get the end of the book right, because it has so much emotion, but 30 mins of battle sounds good.

Posted by Tschudiff [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 08:31 AM report to moderator
Normal_films_dh2_poster_001_thumb

Should be longer than 30 minutes!!!

Posted by Zsquared on July 17, 2009, 09:08 AM report to moderator
58265-daavvy_thumb

I figured the final battle would be between 30-45 minutes, so I’m satisfied with 30 minutes. Though….if you could draw it out a tad longer…to maybe get in a few smaller details that’d be cool. I just can’t wait to see Snape’s memories. If they don’t put that in, I will definitely be disappointed. That is Snape’s (Alan Rickman’s) moment to shine, and what I’ve been waiting for since I read DH. It has to go in for no other reason than to tell Harry what he has to do to defeat Voldie.

Posted by LadyCake on July 17, 2009, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts03_thumb

This movie…or movies i should say…are it! I mean this is it. They cant screw this up. We cant say oh well maybe they will put more in the next film. Nope..end of the line folks. Im sooo nervous that they will cut out too much. 2 part movie or not. This movie should be a tribute to Jo’s fans. We’ve dealt with years of cuts and explainations why…this cannot be that way!!! Too big a moment for Harry. Too big a moment for us all! 30 minute fight scene…if as he says…only includes fight…doesnt sound too bad. Now changing up things like Harry fighting back..which who knows what he means or to what extent…i dont think that should be messed with. This whole doing it for cinematic purposes…BS!! This is OUR movie! Leave it alone. Its perfect the way it is. U are splitting it to fit what needs to be there in there so leave it be. It will be perfect the way it is for movie goers! Now im just ranting and my apologies fellow leaky friends. Just this one is hitting a nerve for me. So worried about it!!

Posted by IwishIwas@Hogwarts on July 17, 2009, 09:15 AM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Very good…a battle scene, no matter how “grueling” has to be timed…..if it’s tooo long, it loses it’s impact! I can’t wait! I am sooo glad they are taking the time to sort this out…so it works. The Page, as written, doesn’t always "work’ as it should. But it can be arranged to be effective, and work on screen,,,and still not lose it’s content!

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on July 17, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Orderphoenix_thumb

I to think DH will be Snape’s moment to shine, but with the thought to center everything around Harry I worry it won’t be put in. It would be crazy not to because it’s such a pivital and revealing moment for the character.

Posted by superman82 on July 17, 2009, 09:25 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I hope they do the Collectors Edition justice and have a lot of out-takes and behind the scenes stuff as well as deleted scenes

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 17, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

Wow! That fantatisc news, I can’t wait for that sceen.

Posted by Cheimonas on July 17, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

Ooooh I am excited!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 17, 2009, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Yeah! Already starting with the DH interviews! Now we can start getting excited about that!

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on July 17, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I’m quite freaked out actually. If they dare to change even the smallest of details i’m gonna hunt them down for the rest of their lives. We had to watch so many stupid scenes in the previous movies that had no relation to the book, so they better don’t mess with anything from DH and especially the forest scene!

Why everyone has to be an “actionman” hero? I don’t want to see Harry fight back, he is supposed to have seen so many friends die, he must be emotionally wrecked not going around throwing spells. Merlin’s pants! Let’s hope for the best.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on July 17, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

very cool! i love david he’s great =D

Posted by Storm the Hufflepuff on July 17, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator
___thumb

good, good, very good!
I especially can’t wait for the battle scene, and the after 19 years scene.

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on July 17, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Nev_thumb

Presume that 30 min doesn’t include the build up to the battle, search for teh lost diadem etc so all in all a pretty lengthy part of the film will bge spent at Hogwarts. :)

Posted by Neville Fan on July 17, 2009, 10:23 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

A grim smile twisted his lopsided mouth. "Oh if there's one thing I hate," he muttered, more to himself than to Harry, and his magical eye was fixed on the left-hand corner of the map, "it's a Death Eater who walked free..."