Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Default_thumb

I want the new countdown to the Deathly Hallows PLEASE!!

Posted by TheYoungWizard on July 16, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

Okay, who said this pretty much sets it in stone that movie 1 ends at Malfoy Manor? Where in the interview does it state that!?!?

Posted by BwaySaint on July 16, 2009, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Hp_ravenclaw_thumb

As always we’ll have to wait and see, but it had better be good to make up for no battle scene at Hogwarts in HBP.

Posted by Verity Weasley on July 16, 2009, 11:15 PM report to moderator

My son said it should be an hour. There is so much in that book that is in Harry’s head…I imagine it will be difficult to get it across. Looking forward to them both!

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 16, 2009, 11:29 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

awesome. the final battle is exciting and very important. i hope both films are 2-1/2 hours long.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator

I hope that by saying Harry fights back doesn’t mean when he sacrifices himself! I don’t think that JKR would let them change that! I am pretty sure she get a say in the script, right? If they change that then he really wouldn’t be sacrificing himself for everybody and the spells that Voldemort put on them would actually stick and work! That would completely change the story, which is why i think that JKR won’t let them do that!

Posted by hpfreak1129 on July 16, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

30 mins sounds good. YAY

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on July 16, 2009, 11:43 PM report to moderator

OH MY GOSH. THAT IS GONNA BE FRICKEN AWESOME.

Posted by iLoveNeville on July 16, 2009, 11:48 PM report to moderator
1027635_thumb

Yay, another mediocre David Yates film. I CAN’T WAIT!

Posted by Healey on July 16, 2009, 11:54 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

good enough for me!! :D

Posted by loony_slytherin on July 16, 2009, 11:55 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

good enough for me!! :D

Posted by loony_slytherin on July 16, 2009, 11:56 PM report to moderator

So cool, I can’t wait.

Posted by angelvoice on July 17, 2009, 12:02 AM report to moderator
2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

wow, can’t wait. Hopefully it turns out amazing in the end

Posted by got2lovme on July 17, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Img_0645_thumb

My thoughts on the split:

I’ve been saying it for a while, as have a lot of people: Malfoy Manor.

If they do it like that, then the first movie would feature 3 big scenes:

1: The Wedding/On the Run
2: The Ministry Break-In
3: Godric’s Halow/Getting the Sword

That would end the first movie with them either being caught, or, if they really wanted to go all “cliffhanger” they could end it with Hermione being tortured, and Ron pleading for help, and the Harry sees a piercing blue eye…
To be continued

Now THAT would be awesome.

I said Malfoy Manor being the split point SEEMED set in stone. By that I meant, WHEREVER the split is, based on interviews they SEEM to have made up their mind where it will be. And it SEEMED to me to be Malfoy Manor. Which, as I said, leaves three main sections for the final movie:

1: Shell Cottage (the intro, and the set up for the rest of the movie)
2: Gringotts (the big second act action scene [just as the ministry break-in will be in the first movie])
3: Hogwarts (the big ending).

That just makes the most sense given as Heyman said: “we’ll be at Hogwarts fairly early” in the second movie. I would take that to mean “we’ll be at Hogwarts with a lot of time left.” I speculated by the time they got to Hogs Head, there would be an hour left. That gives plenty of time, to talk to Aberforth, fight, get the princes tale, die, kill Voldy, and live happily ever after.

Posted by big_pale on July 17, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

David Heyman is awesome!! This was a great interview! It’s awesome to get so much informantion about Deathly Hallows. 30 minutes seems a little short for the battle, but maybe that’s because it seems so much longer when you read it.

I think they did a brilliant job with HBP and I cant wait to see Deathly Hallows. I’m so excited that we can go from HBP and dive right into Deathly Hallows now without having to wait! It’s so exciting!!

Posted by cghambright on July 17, 2009, 12:27 AM report to moderator

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on, Harry! Most people would think that's good and beheaded, but oh, no, it's not enough for Sir Properly Decapitated-Podmore."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014