Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hpphotoshop_thumb

WTF!! Why are so many people spamming!!! Is this for points! Pathetic!!!!!!

Anyway this sounds good. Harry getting his but kicked? Well as long as he doesn’t get dragged down to the forest instead of walking down bravley.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 18, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
Hayden-panettiere-copy_thumb

Cool!!!!!!!!

Posted by Maryiam on July 18, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator

Wow! HBP is barely 4 days old in the cinema and already people are up in arms about the ending of DH part 2. I assume that Heyman means that there will be 30 minutes on actual battle (i.e. wand combat etc.) and ‘The Forest Again’ and ‘The Prince’s Tale’ will be separate. He does mention there is a lot of build up before the battle happens.

As a comparison point – how long were the battle scenes in Return of the King?

Posted by enchantedsocks on July 18, 2009, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Img_0076_thumb

I’m not worried about the movie. I loved Half blood prince and I know they will do Harry’s story justice in the Deathly Hollows.

Posted by tarotx on July 18, 2009, 11:13 AM report to moderator
51gc04es2jl_thumb

yes! im so excited but we have to wait 2 years for this =[ its definitely worth the wait

Posted by cesca !ROAR! gold&yellow on July 18, 2009, 12:44 PM report to moderator
Hagid_potterpuff_thumb

sounds like its going to be very good :)

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 ~Prongs~ ( J.O.R.) on July 18, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator

Very cool! I am soo stoked for it…if only it was sooner.
But the last two movies being within 7 months of each other is pretty tight!

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 18, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator

Very cool! I am soo stoked for it…if only it was sooner.
But the last two movies being within 7 months of each other is pretty tight!

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 18, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

cant wait to see what it looks like… i hope that they keep it as similar to the book as possible

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on July 18, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

i know that this movie will meet all of our expectations :D
and i know that it will be the best one out of all, the book is great so no doubt this movie will be great

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on July 18, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

i just cant wait to see it! :D

Hni_0022_thumb

wooooooo! deathly hallows!!!!!!! :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on July 18, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 18, 2009, 07:21 PM report to moderator

Man, I will have almost finished my first semester in college before DH pt 1 comes out…ahh! I am soo ready!

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on July 18, 2009, 07:23 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

It is rather ironic for myself. I got into HP at the very beginning of my last semester of high school. By the time DH2 comes out, I’ll have just graduated from college with my bachelor’s degree (I took three school years off between my sophomore and junior years of college; going back in the fall).

That’s why I’d LOVE to go to LeakyCon 2011—a perfect way to celebrate being the first of my grandparents’ 12 grandkids to earn a BA!

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 18, 2009, 09:44 PM report to moderator

BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS[br]Teachers are hereby banned from giving students any information that is not strictly related to the subjects they are paid to teach.[br][i]The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-six.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014