Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hni_0022_thumb

soooooooo excited!!

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on July 17, 2009, 08:24 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I think when David Heyman says that Harry will fight more than he did in the book…I think he means during the actual battle. Not on the part when he’s walking through the Forrest to sacrifice himself.

I HOPE part two is like 3 hours long. I can handle that. The last LOTR was like 3 hours and 20 minutes, so I can definitely sit through a movie that’s over 2 1/2 hours! fingers crossed!

Posted by cghambright on July 17, 2009, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I read an interview with David Heyman where they asked how they were going to do Dumbledore’s backstory since in the book Harry just reads it in his head. He says they are going to do alot of it at Bill and Fleur’s wedding in the beginning with Elphias Dodge and Ron’s Aunt. Hermione finds the book and reads it (so that will be changed because the book is released at the wedding). Interviewer then asks – so it’s Bill and Fleur’s wedding? Heyman says “yes”. Interviewer asks – how do you introduce Bill since he’s been absent. Heyman says – it’s evident it’s there wedding because everyone talks about it and it’s at the Weasley’s. Interviewer asks – has he been attacked by a werewolf? Heyman says: “yes”. Can’t remember where I read it as there’s been so many articles lately – it was likely either this site, or Snitchseeker. So – there is a Bill and Fleur wedding most definately. Also – already said this, but again @cghambright – my thoughts exactly about what Heyman meant re: Harry fighting more.

Posted by sueml on July 17, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

Ah, okay. Hadn’t seen that interview.

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 17, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

Here’s the interview: www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/exclusive-snitchseeker-interview-david-heyman-imelda-staunton-return-confirmed-65784/

Posted by sueml on July 17, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I hope they don’t change the final battle too much… there is a reason for Harry not to fight back… of course, maybe I don’t really have a clue as to what he’s really talking about!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 17, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

30 minutes? Hm… that’s good I guess. Of course I would like to watch 2 hours worth of a battle, but I understand everyone doesn’t feel that way (like movie only viewers)…
Harry did NOT get the blank beaten out of him, and now I’m verrrryyy scared about how the end of the seventh movie will be if Heyman thinks like this!

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on July 17, 2009, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Guess it’s time to re read DH!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 17, 2009, 08:52 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Sounds like a split around Shell Cottage time to me. Otherwise there’s no way they could fit a 30 minute battle sequence including build up. Plus didn’t he say the 1st 60 days were filming for part I. So was the shoot in Wales within the 1st 60 days. I love Heyman he gave alot of detail here. I love the way at WB they’re not really keeping tight lipped, they’re just really excited. I’m so glad we got the filmmakers we did to make these films, in the past couple of years the series has really hit its stride

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 17, 2009, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

30 minutes isn’t so bad. it’s all about what you DO with the time. i’m sure it will be great. either way, i’ll still support it.

Posted by Empressa on July 17, 2009, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Helenabonhamcarterbellatrix_thumb

I read the entire interview and I was so blown away at how candid David Heyman was and all the info he shared about Deathly Hallows which im more excited about then anything. im praying we get a trailer on the HBP DVD. according to the interview 94 days of shooting have already finished so they almost have enough for a whole movie. just got finish the other one. deathly hallows is my favorite book and im overly excited its being made into two movies so nothing much will be omited. but i think the entire battle should be more than 30 minutes. what concerns me is he said not long after the second movie starts is the battle. um, what about the scene with aberforth? the ravenclaw common room? the room of requirement with nevell? and what about the gringots break in?

Posted by geminidreamatl29 on July 17, 2009, 10:31 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

@sueml: THANKS for the interview! This is awesome!

Posted by cghambright on July 17, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator

Though HBP has come out, I can’t wait for DH!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 17, 2009, 11:53 PM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

genius ;) really looking forward to seeing it. was kind of let down not seeing a huge epic battle at the end of HBP movie but this could make up for it.

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 18, 2009, 01:50 AM report to moderator
Rainbow_nargles__thumb

If I had my way, it would be four hours.
But thirty minutes will do!

Posted by ~✿FLoWeR✿~ on July 18, 2009, 09:38 AM report to moderator

They could hear people complaining; one surly voice said, "I can't see no gas..."[br]"That's because it's colorless," said Ginny in a convincingly exasperated voice, "but if you want to walk through it, carry on, then we'll have your body as proof for the