Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

Cool

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 16, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

YAY!!! First to comment!! :P , it’s brilliant , i’m looking forward to it!!

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on July 16, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

will? second**

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on July 16, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

30 minutes? Im satisfied with that even though if it were my way, it would be an hour. Good enoguh though

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on July 16, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

I would like five hours, but 30 is enough.

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 16, 2009, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

That’s cool… but I’m not sure about this Harry fighting back bit. I’ll just have to see how it turns out! =]

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 16, 2009, 09:30 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 16, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator

Sounds like he’s saying 30 minutes on the battle itself, not to mention when they arrive and after the battle, you know?

Posted by ljgljhghb on July 16, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 16, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator

Posted by ljgljhghb on July 16, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator
C9651bb469eb9c5e_thumb

I really hope they do it right.

Posted by hglovesrw {ROAR} on July 16, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 16, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Avvie_thumb

Posted by ❤MischiefManaged★☆ROAR☆★ on July 16, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

[Harry] had never before considered the possibility that there might be another teacher in the world he hated more than Snape, but as he walked back toward Gryffindor Tower he had to admit he had found a contender. [i]She's evil,[/i] he thought, as he cli