Followup: Nicholas Hooper Confirms He Will Not Score Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

Several days ago we first told you Harry Potter producer David Heyman publicly stated the rumors were true and they were in talks with legendary composer John Williams about returning to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Quotage: "We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." Today, Film Score Monthly let us know they have an interview with Nicholas Hooper on his decision to step down from the Harry Potter films and his hope that indeed John Williams may return to the post. Nicholas Hooper, who scored back to back Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, tells the magazine the work was affecting his family life, saying "I actually decided I wouldn’t [return]. It impinged on my life and my family too much to do it again. We managed to cope with two of them, and I just felt it was time to hand it on..." The full interview with Nicholas Hooper can be found in the new issue of the magazine.

Thanks so much Tim!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I think Hooper did a fabulous job with the OotP and HBP soundtracks, but I think that having Williams come back and compose is a gift from above!

Posted by elaphantluv34 on July 17, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_onset_londonday2_08_thumb

i want williams back!

Posted by DanielleD on July 17, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_onset_londonday2_08_thumb

i want williams back!

Posted by DanielleD on July 17, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator

I have like a lot of the ones Williams has done and I like the HBP soundtrack. Harry and Ginny’s theme was beautiful to me.

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 17, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

even though the music was great it is always good to put family before the job cause you could always get another.

Posted by sinwillys822 ROAR on July 17, 2009, 11:53 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Hmm, dunno how I feel about this to be honest

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 19, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I really enjoyed Hooper’s work on the past two films — sorry to see him go. But, I’m excited about Williams’ coming back! He will do a fantastic job, I’m sure of it!

Weaslyking_thumb

YIPEEE

Posted by drhawks on July 24, 2009, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

it would be cool to get john williams back

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 26, 2009, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Dawnbw_thumb

Dear John Williams,

Please — Do not write the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. If you must do it, sir, please do not make the movie sound like a ridiculous version of Star Wars. There are no space ships or storm troopers in Harry Potter. Please do not write in blaring trumpets, insane-style flute runs and trills, or vastly repetitive brass undertones. Please do something different.

Dear Nicholas Hooper,

I own the soundtracks to Harry Potters 1, 5, and 6. Numbers 5 and 6 are by far the most impressive - and not because the blaring trumpets of Number 1 are blowing me away and blasting out my sanity-nor because the flute trills and runs have caused me to leave the room, never to return to my stereo. I found your work to be creative to the nth degree—absolutely inspiring and original. (a few of the songs brought me nearly to tears) Some say that the scores of Half-Blood Prince lack melody or whatever jazz…. I disagree. I think that those people should try listening to the soundtrack a little more (I had to listen to it a few times before finding that I liked it).

Love,
Dawn

Harry Potter 7 does not need extreme epic-shotintheface-magical-whimzy-trumpetblaring-silliness that 1-3 had. This movie is not going to be silly, and I don’t think epic is a good word to describe it. It will be intense, for sure, but this isn’t STAR WARZZZZ mmk? This movie is going to be VERY VERY SAD (over 20 characters die) and dark of course, as is reiterated countless times (though it’s more true for each movie). Much of what Nicholas Hooper has written has been subtle but I think rightly so. The story called for subtle music. HBP couldn’t have possibly visually lived up to a John Williams sound. It was a very plot-driven movie, with the actual details and secrets of the story being revealed. Less pewpew=less “epic” (less John Williams). With so little PewPew, how could it have been as musically-epic as so many people think it should have been?

Again.

John Williams—Please do not write the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Kthanks

Posted by BordoisHouseElf on August 27, 2009, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Dawnbw_thumb

THERE IS NOTHING DARK ABOUT JOHN WILLIAMS.
It is too full of blaring trumpets and silly FLUTES

Posted by BordoisHouseElf on August 27, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

I think John Williams is scoring for sure on DH!!! Squee! (Maybe)

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on November 05, 2009, 08:34 PM report to moderator

Seriously???? Hooper’s music is haunting and can easily stand-alone. When i watched HBP, i never thought of the music but knew something was different. Now, every time i hear Ginny & Harry’s theme, it brings me shivers and Dumbledore’s farewell can make me cry. John Williams is an icon and is king of the memorable theme but is that what the DH needs? His music is so bombastic, for a 2-1/2hr film, i always walk away exhausted with a headache. I’m sad to see you go Mr. Hooper:(

Posted by crosStitch on December 08, 2009, 09:01 AM report to moderator

"Now... who'd like ter come an' visit the las' skrewt with me? I was jokin' -- jokin'!" he added hastily, seeing the looks on their faces.