Followup: Nicholas Hooper Confirms He Will Not Score Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

Several days ago we first told you Harry Potter producer David Heyman publicly stated the rumors were true and they were in talks with legendary composer John Williams about returning to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Quotage: "We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." Today, Film Score Monthly let us know they have an interview with Nicholas Hooper on his decision to step down from the Harry Potter films and his hope that indeed John Williams may return to the post. Nicholas Hooper, who scored back to back Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, tells the magazine the work was affecting his family life, saying "I actually decided I wouldn’t [return]. It impinged on my life and my family too much to do it again. We managed to cope with two of them, and I just felt it was time to hand it on..." The full interview with Nicholas Hooper can be found in the new issue of the magazine.

Thanks so much Tim!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Avatar_spitfyre_thumb

It would be awesome if John Williams composed Deathly Hallows! Nicholas Cooper did a good job with the others but it would be nice if John Williams took over for the last movies.

Posted by SpitFyre on July 16, 2009, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Forbeatlesnspurs-royaltwig-27_thumb

To me, John Williams coming back would be the last piece to the puzzle. I think he was the first one to publicly acknowledge that he would find it lovely in returning for the final act. I couldn’t be happier if it all works out in the end. :)

Posted by LauraBC on July 16, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Iconator_ff20bdd615cdbf54d1de3fc9cdfe44ed_thumb

I’m glad he’s not doing it! John Williams is the best and it would be awesome if he closed out the series with Hedwig’s Theme.

Posted by Harry89 !ROAR! on July 16, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Twitter_version_thumb

HP5 is my favourite musical score

Posted by sianletley on July 16, 2009, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Oh, get over yourselves, Williams bashers! You can’t honestly say that a score like PoA is a hollywood score…Zimmer scores are hollywood scores, not Williams ones. “A Window to the Past”, “Saving Buckbeak”, “Secrets of the Castle”…none of them are over the top.

I’m very glad that Hooper isn’t scoring anymore. He has no gift for melody or emotion. All he does is underscore.

Posted by starlesswinter on July 16, 2009, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I like Hooper, but I’d really like it if Williams came back. We started with him, let’s end with him.

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

Hooray, John Williams! Sorry, @Rotfang, I couldn’t disagree more. If you only listen to Williams’ blockbuster scores, you might say he is bombastic or overbearing at times, but listen to something like “Schindler’s List” and see if you can still say that. Williams is a classical composer of the first order and capable of subtlety and complexity.

If not Williams, bring back Doyle!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on July 16, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

This makes me incredibly happy. Hooper’s score never seemed to grab my attention when watching the films. The music always seemed so flat! I’d absolutely love it if they got John Williams back.

Posted by Sarabi on July 16, 2009, 03:31 PM report to moderator

you all sound so happy he’s coming back…if he can fit HP into his calendar! So, he’s not overwhelmed by the thought!

Posted by jain on July 16, 2009, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Picture_2_thumb

YESSSSSSS!!!!! This totally made my day!!!

I actually started cheering as well. I’m at work, by the way.

Posted by Analise on July 16, 2009, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Hufflepufftie_thumb

Hooper did indeed improve in HBP, but I still prefer John Williams. Wow, I was just thinking that my hope of Williams coming back for DH might come true this morning, and this popped up! Lol.

Posted by Scarlette on July 16, 2009, 03:39 PM report to moderator
445629313_2d2af3ca46_thumb

We need Danny Elfman for 7

;)

Posted by ~*~Krystle~*~ on July 16, 2009, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Picture_2_thumb

Oh, I just checked John William’s imdb page and it looks as though he’s already got TWO movies booked for 2011 (Lincoln and Interstellar). No wonder they’re having a hard time trying to schedule Deathly Hallows Part II. It would be his third movie score just that year! We know he’s got the genius. Let’s hope he still has the energy. The man will be 79 then.

Posted by Analise on July 16, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator

thank god.

well thank you mr hooper. im glad your not trying to steal the movie for yourself.
JOHN WILLIAM!! i am so excited now.

hopefully he can make it.
this movie will be freakin AMAZING with him.

Posted by john-robert. on July 16, 2009, 03:52 PM report to moderator

I want Alexandre Desplat – he would be perfect. Hooper’s music is great, but it gets boring when he does the same type of song over and over again. It was great for the two films he did, but for DH, I’d like something epic, but original and haunting. So I’d prefer Desplat over John Williams, actually.

Posted by Lily Phoenix on July 16, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator

Harry pulled down every book he could find on dragons, and both of them set to work searching through the large pile.[br]"[i]'Talon-clipping by charms... treating scale-rot...'[/i] This is no good, this is for nutters like Hagrid who want to keep them hea